Detail Mini-Contest 2014

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
In my experience, VIDE's manual packing is broken (and sometimes breaks maps), and Pakrat's auto-packing is broken. You should probably just have them both downloaded.

Mar 23, 2013
In my experience, VIDE's manual packing is broken (and sometimes breaks maps), and Pakrat's auto-packing is broken. You should probably just have them both downloaded.

for some time I actually did it like that. auto packing with vide and then manual packing with packrat (it didn't break the bsp even though people told me it does), until I found out how to manually pack with vide correctly, what is a bit weird

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Hey Fantasmos, have you started the SFM flythrough of the detail maps yet? I want to ask you something.

Very far into it, down into the last 8 maps then it's off to editing

Fantaboi

aa
Mar 11, 2013
Ok, so it's too late to take a music request, I assume :|

Not at all, right now i'm just grabbing the videos to use in it, then i'm loading all the clips and music in sony vegas, so the song isn't decided fully yet. Post it please (and anyone else who has a song idea)

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Not at all, right now i'm just grabbing the videos to use in it, then i'm loading all the clips and music in sony vegas, so the song isn't decided fully yet. Post it please (and anyone else who has a song idea)

Alright, I know you don't like to use songs with lyrics, but take a look at "Take a Walk" It's a great song, and for whatever reason, I feel like it fits the theme of the contest.

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
List of entries this community thinks are inferior to a closet:
  1. hqdefault
  2. iiboharz
  3. iiboharz2
  4. lampenpam
  5. fantasmos
  6. prettyboy
  7. cubemap
  8. tech
  9. JohnRavenEye

You guys have no idea how sad I am that Aly is not on this list. So close, too.

GOOD JOB EVERYONE THOUGH, having the courage to enter a contest like this is no small feat. Don't feel discouraged if you got beat by a closet unless you're Fantasmos. It was, after all, a very high quality closet.

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
  1. hqdefault
  2. iiboharz
  3. iiboharz2
  4. lampenpam
  5. fantasmos
  6. prettyboy
  7. cubemap
  8. tech
  9. JohnRavenEye

GOOD JOB EVERYONE THOUGH, having the courage to enter a contest like this is no small feat. Don't feel discouraged if you got beat by a closet unless you're Fantasmos. It was, after all, a very high quality closet.

As much as I know you're joking, I really think this is a really dickish idea because anyone that doesn't know about your "characteristics" (aka most newer people here) could really take this the wrong way.

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
As much as I know you're joking, I really think this is a really dickish idea because anyone that doesn't know about your "characteristics" (aka most newer people here) could really take this the wrong way.

Yeah, it's hard to tell my emphasis anyways due to text.

I'm serious though when I say good job with just entering. If you stick with this, take in account what you learned with the contest, no matter what rank you were. Just entering a contest even if your map is the lowest ranked one in it is ok. Trust me, that happened to me in the Two Skillsets Part 2 contest.

My challenge to anyone on this list is for the next detailing contest coming up that you enter, give it your all so that I have absolutely no one to put on my "List of entries this community thinks are inferior to a player trapped in an oil barrel rolling down a hill" that I'll invariably make for the next detailing entry! Trust me when I say you all can do it, I can see that in your entries already! You all have what it takes, just gotta refine it.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
  1. hqdefault
  2. iiboharz
  3. iiboharz2
  4. lampenpam
  5. fantasmos
  6. prettyboy
  7. cubemap
  8. tech
  9. JohnRavenEye

hqdefault
~~>:C
not to mention the fact that I in fact previously said that I felt really bad about not doing well. I understand it's a joke, but it's still a blatant reminder that I was shit.

Last edited:

Fantaboi

aa
Mar 11, 2013
  1. hqdefault
  2. iiboharz
  3. iiboharz2
  4. lampenpam
    [*]fantasmos
  5. prettyboy
  6. cubemap
  7. tech
  8. JohnRavenEye

zAv5Tmi.gif

http://i.imgur.com/zAv5Tmi.webm (webm for 2015)

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Winners:

First place:

A tie between:

detail2014_waffledoctor
XTB0Lgb.jpg

and:

detail2014_theof114
eK07xTr.jpg

Second place:

Also a tie between:

detail2014_drsasha
KZLKEa0.jpg

and:

detail2014_plipplop
f1wHtUq.png

As there was a tie for both first and and second, there won't be any third place prizes given out. However both people who tied will get their respective place prizes. Prizes will be distributed shortly, thanks for participating everyone.

Fantaboi

aa
Mar 11, 2013
So, as many of you know I am making a showcase of all the maps, and all your sfm renders (215gb worth) have just finished but I'm not 100% on the song i'm going to use so, please post any suggestions.

Also congrats to the winners, I personally am enthralled by pliplop's one and definitely want to use it as inspiration for my next map, and I believe that's the reason many others voted for it.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
So, as many of you know I am making a showcase of all the maps, and all your sfm renders (215gb worth) have just finished but I'm not 100% on the song i'm going to use so, please post any suggestions.

Also congrats to the winners, I personally am enthralled by pliplop's one and definitely want to use it as inspiration for my next map, and I believe that's the reason many others voted for it.

Anything Pink Floyd...

...although you'd be flamed by YouTube for copyright stuff.

PlipPlop

L2: Junior Member
Nov 18, 2009

Do something instrumental, nothing with lyrics in it.