Contest idea thread!

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
What year is it?!

Mar 23, 2010
This! We need more fun and silly contests, like the dev contest we had.

no fun contests we are more serious about mapping than valve

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Medieval contest could happen, but is unlikely, for a few reasons.

We do the contests as a way to promote and help develop a gamemode, a long with helping developers improve themselves, in how they think, make design choices, etc. Medieval would good because you would really need to think differently about design theory and about the game mode in order to make something fun.

But, I doubt anyone will participate, because people are too stuck in the "it's too bad and it can't be saved" mentality. And as such, it probably won't happen.

EDIT: Ohai, 4k posts.

Last edited:

Ilyass

L1: Registered
Oct 9, 2011
But, I doubt anyone will participate, because people are too stuck in the "it's too bad and it can't be saved" mentality. And as such, it probably won't happen.

It's a good idea and i agree with design challenge argument. About medieval map contest obviously.

Last edited:

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
how about an ongoing contest that never ends where we all compete with ourselves to make great maps

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I wouldn't mind a theme based contest, we've had a few British assets created over the years. An England themed map would be sweet. Any mode.

GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
I wouldn't mind a theme based contest, we've had a few British assets created over the years. An England themed map would be sweet. Any mode.

I second this.
Can Scotland be included?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Medieval contest could happen, but is unlikely, for a few reasons.

We do the contests as a way to promote and help develop a gamemode, a long with helping developers improve themselves, in how they think, make design choices, etc. Medieval would good because you would really need to think differently about design theory and about the game mode in order to make something fun.

I still contend that medieval CTF could work. Probably better than vanilla, even.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I still contend that medieval CTF could work. Probably better than vanilla, even.

Yea, I think that could work too, but then you'd have scouts trying to get the flag, and everyone zerging on the point. Something like CSF might work. But instead, it'd be more sideways moving of the flag, than going back farther.

Mar 23, 2010

if by work better you mean it turns into the simplest game ever that no one with a brain plays more than once.