WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

The Letter Before A

Cool Idiot
Jul 15, 2016
A simple night skybox I'm working on. Any suggestions?
Oh and also would sky_nightfall_02 be a good name?
Capture.PNG

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
A simple night skybox I'm working on. Any suggestions?
Oh and also would sky_nightfall_02 be a good name?

It's kind of weird that there are 2 different types on clouds in the sky. I would keep the stratus clouds and maybe make them more obvious. There's this CS:GO map on the workshop that uses models for them and it looks stunning, so I'd like to see what you can do for tf2!

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
CANDLEMANIA 2016

poWu8fL.jpg

Though I think I should replace that board with some wooden planks.

Bonus pic:

wUPdfQh.jpg

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
There's already a sky called sky_nightfall_01. It would be best to have a different name as to avoid confusion.
Why? That's the whole point of numbering them, isn't it?

radarhead

Basically? Kind of a Huge Mess
aa
Mar 6, 2013
There's already a sky called sky_nightfall_01. It would be best to have a different name as to avoid confusion.
Why? That's the whole point of numbering them, isn't it?
As the skybox isn't a recolor of Nighfall's (or Pipeline's, for that matter) I think it's a little weird to name it "Nightfall".

Cytosolic

L5: Dapper Member
May 1, 2015
As the skybox isn't a recolor of Nighfall's (or Pipeline's, for that matter) I think it's a little weird to name it "Nightfall".

Plus, some people may miss that digit increment at the end, or misunderstand it's use since it isn't a recoloring. As far as I know the only other skybox that does the increment thing is sky_well_02.

The Letter Before A

Cool Idiot
Jul 15, 2016
Im aware, just because of the similar style, sky_nightfall_0(2) is the name im using.
If you have a different name be sure to tell me!

zahndah

professional letter
aa
Jul 4, 2015
this will make an industrial type detail pass sooo nice

That's what I was going to do originally but then I decided to put the map on a clifftop, upwards style. So I feel that wouldn't really work. Instead I was planning on doing a Villa theme to it, with the outside areas likely being gardens or that kind of thing.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Is it possible to rotate the swirly particle effect you're using? If you rotate the particle one way as the flow of the effect moves the other, that might be interestingly trippy.

The swirl itself is actually models/props_lakeside_event/wof_plane2.mdl - I could maybe mess with some vmt things, but I gotta be mindful of just how much custom junk I load into this poor map :v

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
you can also parent it to something rotating, either a momentary_rot_button(?) or two alternating func_door_rotatings (parenting it to whichever one is turning the direction you want when they switch direction)

AsG_Alligator

qhull precision error
aa
Aug 5, 2016
you can also parent it to something rotating, either a momentary_rot_button(?) or two alternating func_door_rotatings (parenting it to whichever one is turning the direction you want when they switch direction)

I'm still annoyed that Valve has STILL not fixed func_rotating for TF2.

I did some retexturing and recompiling:
ZBVXt4q.jpg

I think I'll release these for public. They'll be really helpful for people making jungle/swamp maps.

Edit: I can't figure out why but cliff_wall_01 to 09 work perfectly, while cliff_wall_10 and 10a dont use proper textures.

If I leave qc file as it was with this materials part:
$CDMaterials "models\props_enclosure\"
$CDMaterials ""
It loads deafult texture from props_forest.
If i remove second CDMaterials it doesnt load any textures.

Last edited: