WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

nickybakes

You should've played Rumbleverse
aa
Jul 28, 2015
Source lighting, why do you always forsake me:
ZTwtu3N.jpg

Notice how the cart and viewmodel appear to be lit even when they are in the shadow of that tree.
That area looks way too dark, which can make it hard to see players and recognize their team colors. Lighten that area up.

AsG_Alligator

qhull precision error
aa
Aug 5, 2016
I know, lighting is just there so that I can test gameplay balance. I'll be working on improving it later. I just found it puzzling that the cart doesnt get shadowed by that tree.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
6XadpOw.png

First models for tf2 done!

Now to figure out why the collision model on the concave cap platform is all messed up :v

WARNING: COSTLY COLLISION MODEL!!!! (215 parts - 40 allowed)

oops

You need a max of 4 collision meshes for that. Just make cylinders (simpler ones than make up the steps -- those are, what, 32 sides? So use 16 or maybe even 12) and stack them. Bottom one touches the ground if you don't want pills rolling under it, and each of the others extends down to the one under it.

Jusa

aa
May 28, 2013
You need a max of 4 collision meshes for that. Just make cylinders (simpler ones than make up the steps -- those are, what, 32 sides? So use 16 or maybe even 12) and stack them. Bottom one touches the ground if you don't want pills rolling under it, and each of the others extends down to the one under it.

The thing is, the "plate" is actually concave, but don't worry I've got a plan to simplify things!

Blade x64

Logical insanity
aa
Sep 3, 2009
Source lighting, why do you always forsake me:
ZTwtu3N.jpg

Notice how the cart and viewmodel appear to be lit even when they are in the shadow of that tree.

As far as I know, -textureshadows only impacts lightmaps and vertex shading. Point lit entities are not impacted by it at all, as if models that use -textureshadows are not even there. You will have to adjust your lighting accordingly.

AsG_Alligator

qhull precision error
aa
Aug 5, 2016
As far as I know, -textureshadows only impacts lightmaps and vertex shading. Point lit entities are not impacted by it at all, as if models that use -textureshadows are not even there. You will have to adjust your lighting accordingly.

Ah... Well, that won't be an issue anyway, cause I changed the lighting to identical to the one from Borneo (along with skybox):
DF069CBA322C7855C095742DB84F45C6A32FB591

Question regarding Compile Pal - it only packs stuff used in the map, right?

CriminalBunny

Lasers are just deadly rainbows
aa
Oct 11, 2013
Ah... Well, that won't be an issue anyway, cause I changed the lighting to identical to the one from Borneo (along with skybox):
DF069CBA322C7855C095742DB84F45C6A32FB591

Question regarding Compile Pal - it only packs stuff used in the map, right?
I barely used CompilePal and yeah, I think so...
But I think you should disable shadows on the tree's leaves model, I think they're the ones casting that ugly shadow over them

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
WARNING: COSTLY COLLISION MODEL!!!! (215 parts - 40 allowed)

oops

Those stairs can create a lot of unnecessary parts. If you plan on using blockbullets to smooth out the stairs later anyways, then just build like below. If you can, look at the model for the capture point, it has a concave and convex part. I don't entirely know how this stuff works but smoothing it out like this should help immensely
nozoAQt.png

Also, I don't know if you are having the same issue with the large coil at the top, but everything beneath the large torus should just be smoothed into 2 cones- no need to have so much complexity in a collision model (unless in your map there is some sort of sightline across it where gameplay could be inhibited by its simplicity).

nickybakes

aa
Jul 28, 2015
Hammer.PNG
The Map i just started working on today only mid is done right now but i hope it will be fun
Just a side note, when taking screenshots of hammer to show off a map, select the 3D view and press Shift + Z to full screen it, that way we can see it bigger. Press shift Z again to return to normal size. Also to help us actually be able to tell what's going on in the picture, click the button that says "camera" on the top left of the 3D view, and then select "3D shaded texture polygons". It's just something that'll help people view your hammer screenshots better.

nickybakes

aa
Jul 28, 2015
Eym0hhw.jpg

tools/invisible cuts visleaves? Good to know...
If you ever need to know what a certain tool texture does, here is a really good reference that has a nice, convenient chart that lists all the properties:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Tool_textures

Also, from the way you used the invisible texture, it looks like you needed it for a measurement of some kind? I would suggest using the Skip texture, as it is completely ignored on compile, so it's great for measurements, scaling, and rotating many objects around a specific point.

AsG_Alligator

qhull precision error
aa
Aug 5, 2016
If you ever need to know what a certain tool texture does, here is a really good reference that has a nice, convenient chart that lists all the properties:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Tool_textures

Also, from the way you used the invisible texture, it looks like you needed it for a measurement of some kind? I would suggest using the Skip texture, as it is completely ignored on compile, so it's great for measurements, scaling, and rotating many objects around a specific point.
Nope, I needed collisions for that model (it has none), and I prefer not to decompile and recompile models just to add collision meshes for them (and then I'd need to pack that recompiled model in as well so...).

nickybakes

aa
Jul 28, 2015
Nope, I needed collisions for that model (it has none), and I prefer not to decompile and recompile models just to add collision meshes for them (and then I need to pack that recompiled model in as well so...).
For that you'd probably want to use blockbullets2 as its made for specifically blocking players, bullets, projectiles, etc. And it also doesn't cut visleafs.

AsG_Alligator

qhull precision error
aa
Aug 5, 2016
I mean... I can still use invisible, just need to remember to func_detail them brushes.

Wait... I just noticed - glass cuts visleaves too?

PS: Speaking of tool textures: there was a pack of custom tool textures that look and function better, but I can;t seem to find it now. Might be a good idea to grab it I guess.

nickybakes

aa
Jul 28, 2015
I mean... I can still use invisible, just need to remember to func_detail them brushes.
The problem with doing that is it can cause frustrations with organization in the long run. Many times while working on a map, wehter its layout or detailing, people will hide their tool texture VisGroup. However if the brush that has the tool texture on it is func_detailed, then it won't get hidden. You would then need to hide your func_detail VisGroup, which just doesn't allow you to edit a layout or detail properly. It can become a pain, especially when you start getting into later stages of the map and you've got a lot of shit going on in Hammer. You can do what ever method you want, but I suggest using the blockbullets2 texture instead of invisible.

Wait... I just noticed - glass cuts visleaves too?
Any world brush cuts vis, unless it has a tool texture specifically told not to (playerclip, blockbullets2, etc).

Benoist3012

L3: Member
Dec 25, 2015
B6EBEAF9AD24C678F0C5FB297D31C77D90D81DCD

Halloween is the only time of the year, where I map for tf2, as Slender Fortress mod dev I spent most of my time reviwing slender fortress maps, but this year I decided to make pl_upward_event so here a lil WIP :3
I did all of that yesterday and it's only 20% done

GooGuGajoob

L12: Pro-crastinator
Mar 28, 2014
Screenshot 2016-10-06 16.10.00.png

So much work needed on this bridge.
1. I need to make the floor not bounce off explosives (stickies, rockets, etc.)
2. Need to prevent self-shadowing by starting the bridge out
3. Need to clip off the bridge, but simply clipping it off to me seems cheap and...I'm not sure how to visually block off the bridge from outside contact until the timer runs out. The best idea I got is roll up doors surrounding it...

Other than that, these are some texturing touch ups for Arena Volcano A6 (removing the damned dev_textures):
20161006162039_1.jpg20161006162101_1.jpg 20161006162124_1.jpg

Also, really need to fix this lighting on these props....eugh!
20161006162141_1.jpg