WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Jusa

aa
May 28, 2013
Wanted to try what would come of sketching a layout in sideview rather than the usual topdown layouting.

bCAmAVS.png

MQTqC5e.jpg

AVGzffJ.jpg

Bonus pic of intelroom:

0X9Nqvg.jpg

Moonfixer

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 23, 2014
Map layout sketch

I suppose this counts as a work in progress. So I was sketching a map layout while I get my computer fixed. This is what I came up with. (this sketch is half of the map.)

oZSHq46.jpg

Thoughts on the planned layout are welcome. Sorry its so sketchy.

JMaxchill

Jan 21, 2015
Planned layouts never work, do your shit on hammer and iterate.

Eh, I find planning does help, but generally what I do is start in Hammer, then when I can't think what goes next (generally around a point or something) I switch to paper to try and work out what to do :D

RaVaGe

aa
Jun 23, 2010
Eh, I find planning does help, but generally what I do is start in Hammer, then when I can't think what goes next (generally around a point or something) I switch to paper to try and work out what to do :D

Sure it help, but a planned layout have few chance to survive the first tests from my experience, so it's not really the thing you should focus on.

Of course some experienced level designer are able to create a great level on the first version, but it's rare and takes a lot of experience to achieve this.

Some great counter examples :

http://www.kimd.se/pl_vanishingpoint.html
http://www.kimd.se/files/Kim.Dahlgren.Design.Document.PL-VaninishingPoint.pdf

http://www.nodraw.net/2010/01/interview-iikka/

So take my advice with a pinch of salt, take the time to make plans, but don't stick to them too much except if you know what you do really well.

Last edited:

JMaxchill

Jan 21, 2015
Take the time to make plans, but don't stick to them too much except if you know what you do really well.

Generally I only plan the immediate areas around control points in as little detail as possible, since every time I make a massively detailed plan then try to put it into Hammer I can't make it fit at all. This probably means that the areas between the points are sketchy as hell, but so are the plans :p

Moonfixer

Aug 23, 2014
This was just a loose plan I had in my head and sketched on paper. I thought it'd be alright to post it here. I'm aware that it's most likely better to block it out in hammer. However like I said I'm currently getting my computer fixed.

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
Posting idea's in here is totally fine. I've just noticed with myself, as Ravidge said, that the layouts I generally pencil out are disregarded almost immediately once I actually get into hammer.

Now I just tell myself the basic idea's I want to employ, the rough idea of where I want things and what theme transitions I want to try.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
The only thing I do on paper is basic layout flow. Nothing more complex than circles and lines between them for rough routes; I don't draw anything that will become a brush. Anything else gets thrown out. Designing a 3D environment on a 2D surface is just too challenging.

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
I also like to draw from a perspective of what something could look like in hammer. A specific area or building, basic architecture and landscaping. I don't factor any of it into a layout, just to get idea's going.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
I personally like to draw top down views for basic rough ideas, but once I get into hammer they tend to deviate drastically. Still not a bad way to get the general concept down though, in my experience.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008

lol

Pencil & paper pretty much the most efficient way that exists to create a graphical representation of an idea, and having a representation of your idea in any form is great for analysis (both by yourself and other people). Getting your ideas out of your head and into something tangible is super useful. I recommend messing around with different ways of sketching ideas to figure out what's most effective for yourself.

That said, if an idea works on paper and not in Hammer, it doesn't work. I imagine that if you do enough layouts on paper, you'll learn what works and what doesn't. Practice makes perfect!

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Everyone here is talking about how they bring about their maps from pen and paper, but mine are all purely from the mind. Being able to put concepts from your mind on to paper to refine them before properly building them is nothing but a skill or a gift if you ask me; one that I don't hone. Plus it's a lot more fun (and less time-taking, which really shows in regards map-making) to go straight off the bat and see where things end.

I must admit it'd be nice to plan ahead some neat structures though.

Uncuepa

aa
Oct 25, 2014
Everyone here is talking about how they bring about their maps from pen and paper, but mine are all purely from the mind. Being able to put concepts from your mind on to paper to refine them before properly building them is nothing but a skill or a gift if you ask me; one that I don't hone. Plus it's a lot more fun (and less time-taking, which really shows in regards map-making) to go straight off the bat and see where things end.

I must admit it'd be nice to plan ahead some neat structures though.

I make 9/10 of all my designs in hammer, no paper involved. the only time I draw is for 72 hour concepts and if I am away from my pc.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Most of my maps are made purely in hammer off no plan at all as well. That said, I usually plan for the 72h contest (to save time) and they generally seem to work out more successfully for me, so...