[Prefab] Special Delivery Arena

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
Hello everyone, this is a prefab for my entity setup that I'll be using for my second 72 hour entry. This is a custom gamemode that is essentially arena with an australium flag that your team can capture to revive your dead teammates.

7MOu662.jpg

This is the rules decal in game.

You can download the prefab + rules decal here!

What this download includes:
-.bsp precompiled so you can see just how the map works in game
-.vmf prefab for the entity setup
-Custom rules decal

Version History:
Version 2 (Released: July 30th, 2015)
-Added two new math counters to track number of captures
-A team now wins capturing the australium twice
-Updated the rules decal to reflect these changes
-Updated the precompiled .bsp to reflect these changes

4Fbo057.png

Here's some of the basic point entity work.

There's also two large trigger_multiples with OnStartTouch that track how many players there are with math_counters. If a team goes down to 0 they lose. It isn't perfect but it's working well enough from what I've tested. When the australium is captured a game_forcerespawn entity is fired for the specific team.

Protip: If you want to check out the gamemode on your own listen server make sure to use 'sv_cheats 1' then spawn a few bots with the 'bot' command. If you kill a bot on your team with 'bot_kill botname' then capture the australium you can see your team revive. You can test that the win condition works by killing the enemy bots.

To end this post here is an album of screenshots taken from the precompiled .bsp with lights added.

Last edited:

blue9075

L1: Registered
Jul 15, 2015
The game-mode will require lots of teamwork to be successful, and I don't understand how the reviving works, is it when the player picks up the australium, or is it when the last player captures the australium and wins the round the entire team gets revived?

If the second one, you might need to alter it so you can prevent griefers getting in a really sneaky spot and just hiding, like c&d spy's just camping in a corner until they get votekicked.

(Sorry, the computer I'm on doesn't have TF2 on it, so I can't test it out)

It seems it has potential though. Just remember that the arena mode is very unpopular because they have to wait until the next round, and like I said earlier, they then will have to rely on having good team members to have a good time in the game,
(Which it determines how bias their opinion is on the map/gamemode)
which will be unlikely if it ends up in valve servers for everyone to play, because the game is F2P, and there are lots of good/bad players.

Good luck with the 72 hour contest, take care of your sanity :p

Last edited:

Vincent

aa
Sep 5, 2009
As far as im aware you can't cloak while holding the Intel. Also when you capture the flag it respawns your teammates, winning requires you completely wipe the enemy.

Thanks for your thoughts, I always appreciate input.

Edit: To explain further, the Australium unlocks after about 30 seconds, if you pickup the Australium and capture it at a neutral area it will revive your dead teammates. To win, you have to kill all of the players on the opposing team, so a win can happen even before it unlocks.

Last edited:

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
>reads description

So... Australium: Respawn?

Unh3lpful

L2: Junior Member
May 6, 2015
To explain further, the Australium unlocks after about 30 seconds, if you pickup the Australium and capture it at a neutral area it will revive your dead teammates. To win, you have to kill all of the players on the opposing team, so a win can happen even before it unlocks.

Doesn't that mean I can sit in the corner cloaked forever and ruining the game. Isn't that what the cp in normal arena is meant to solve?

Vincent

aa
Sep 5, 2009
I considered a win condition that could be met when you capped the australium say three times or so, but it felt too arbitrary.

Besides, I think cloak and dagger spies are only going to be an issue in small games. You can capture the australium yourself and then you have an entire team looking for one cloaked spy on a small arena like map, he can't hide forever. If someone abused this I'm sure they'd have some way of vote kicking, banning, or something. (If it's really that serious)

Also if you somehow get outside the map you leave the trigger_multiple, so you're as good as dead to the entities.

Unh3lpful

L2: Junior Member
May 6, 2015
I considered a win condition that could be met when you capped the australium say three times or so, but it felt too arbitrary.

Besides, I think cloak and dagger spies are only going to be an issue in small games. You can capture the australium yourself and then you have an entire team looking for one cloaked spy on a small arena like map, he can't hide forever. If someone abused this I'm sure they'd have some way of vote kicking, banning, or something. (If it's really that serious)

Also if you somehow get outside the map you leave the trigger_multiple, so you're as good as dead to the entities.

Ok fair enough. Also, to be fair, this would only happen in pubs and stuff, where arena isn't especially common.

Vincent

aa
Sep 5, 2009
I decided to add a new win condition due to concerns from a few individuals. I figured I may as well, seemed like a good idea.

I'll be using a basic version history, v1 / v2 / v3 / etc. etc., to keep track of changes.

Here's the download for the new prefab, all of it has been updated

I've updated the main post with more information. I also updated the album with all new screenshots.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Sorry to do a little tangent in this thread...

>reads description

So... Australium: Respawn?

Having discovered the true functionality of game_forcerespawn last night (it's different from what I was using it for a few months ago) you can make arena:respawn maps without any server mods. the game_forcerespawn takes an input of ForceTeamRespawn with 2 or 3 as the parameter and it'll respawn all currently dead members of those teams. So just decouple the point from the win condition and hook it up to the game_forcerespawn and bam, it works. You can add a trigger to add a tf_cond on any players on the point to finish it off.