WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Géza!

L4: Comfortable Member
May 12, 2008
What difference does the shape of the skip-covered faces make? Also, the same visleaf shot off from the doorway even when I tried covering the whole wall in a hint surface in an act of desperation

As for moving the entire map into one quadrant- I've been thinking of that. Perhaps I'll do so! And the doorway IS hitting the automatic visleaf split- it's the one in the middle. It's the rest of 'em in the exact shape of the doorway that annoy me.

Géza!

L4: Comfortable Member
May 12, 2008
Moving my map a good deal and realigning it to the colored gridlines made that visleaf mess go away.

Well then!

117A7A8A8DA3A82F3D9B8D6D2B80F7916347AA2E

Progress picture time!

Last edited:

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
That page didn't say anything about glass; is it just an unwritten special property of every material with its surfaceprop set to glass (and presumably also whatever chicken wire is), or is there something more complex going on?

It's probably $transparent, $alpha and $alphatest in the material that enables light passing through, not the surfaceprop. The alpha layer of the texture then controls which parts are translucent. For models you have to add -textureshadows to VRAD if you want to have correct shadows for a fence, for example. As for brushes I don't think you have to specify anything special. Try setting up a little test scene if you really want to find out what's going on.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Huh. I figured the whole point of making -textureshadows optional was because it adds a lot to the compile time, which they wouldn't want to have happen automatically just because your map happens to have glass or chicken wire in it. (Indeed, it's pretty pointless for those textures in particular, which is why I intend to keep using func_brush on mine; not being able to attach stickies to chicken wire is, IMO, a plus).

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
So I've been thinking of ways to improve of Norfolk Terrier's KZ mode (as well as reworking Callous2's CP function), and I'm thinking a HUD modification with screen overlays ala Snowplow is definitely a good way to go. So far I have something like this planned; though I am planning to change the wording a little, but I'm not sure what to and as well if you can have multiple screen overlays I plan to have something over the top to display that players cannot suicide without the CP enabled.

2dc46c7d1b.png

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
I think Gadget meant the fence model, not the fence texture. The model can cast shadows, the texture can't. I do believe that you have to make a custom lights.rad file where you specify the alpha mask of the chainlink in the model's texture though, otherwise it still won't work with -textureshadows.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
So I've been thinking of ways to improve of Norfolk Terrier's KZ mode (as well as reworking Callous2's CP function), and I'm thinking a HUD modification with screen overlays ala Snowplow is definitely a good way to go. So far I have something like this planned; though I am planning to change the wording a little, but I'm not sure what to and as well if you can have multiple screen overlays I plan to have something over the top to display that players cannot suicide without the CP enabled.

2dc46c7d1b.png

Something that shows you what spell you have regardless or server tf_holliday setting would be awesome too.

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Something that shows you what spell you have regardless or server tf_holliday setting would be awesome too.

I don't understand what you're saying. Are you saying I should add the spell HUD to callous2? I removed spells a while ago.

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
I think Gadget meant the fence model, not the fence texture. The model can cast shadows, the texture can't. I do believe that you have to make a custom lights.rad file where you specify the alpha mask of the chainlink in the model's texture though, otherwise it still won't work with -textureshadows.

That's right. Further (and really good) explanation here and here.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I think I'm being misunderstood here; I'm saying it kind of defeats the purpose of having -textureshadows be something you have to turn on manually (shortening compile times when you don't use it) if the same effect still applies to brushes automatically.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
I've begun my usual process of pre-mature detailing
66CC8658C21336C2F007BE3C249D4375C3AD10ED

070A8D967677192E61560BFA8C7B2A75A99E0920

6797A28F33DEDFC1D9DC9079278981F9D8A14564

2E1924C40EE48D35D93B1E8768D2F3DF58B000B1

2C7A9B0E52A607F7648649F9204A729E840B5D74

I'm having a lot of fun detailing stuff, so does anyone have any change requests to chilltower that NEEDS to happen?

Megascatterbomb

L1: Registered
Jul 9, 2014
On vacation right now, will post some screenshots when I get home of cp_meltdown, a steel-like a/d map. Once I get home Ill fix some lighting issues and add some cubemaps, spectator cams etc, then Ill release the map here.

Ive been experimenting with seeing how close I can get two spawnrooms without creating a spamfest; lets just say you will be surprised. Also Ive been thinking about how I could implement some kind of moving platform that goes around the map. The result of said thinking has created one of the craziest things ive ever imagined.

Too bad youll have to wait until I get home to see it :(

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Personally I've never liked this room-changing-colour thing. You may be better off giving the whole room a neutral colour instead. It'd make more sense, certainly.

Other than that though, good job!