UEAKCrash's 2018 April Fool's Day Mini-Contest!

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
6bTJXZA.png

UEAKCrash's April Fools 2018 Mini-Contest

Oh snap we skipped a year 'cuz Crash had a kid. But that just gave you more time to make the most batshit crazy April Fools map possible, RIGHT?! So I'm back with another contest, this time announced hella early because I want to see your finest shenanigans on display. I want you to blow my mind.

On top of this contest, we'll have our usual April 1st gameday playing all the maps submitted. Even if you don't want your map judged in the contest, we can still play it, idgaf. Just send it over with a note saying you don't want me to judge it with my judgemental eyes, and I'll totally judge you for doing so we'll just play it instead. All maps submitted will be in rotation.

Here's everything copy pasted from the last time we did this:

Rules:
  • Map must be PLAYABLE. Fully functioning objectives and spawns! Don't just throw us into your silly mess, put some thought into it!
  • Filename must be all lowercase, and don't rename your bsp after compiling!
  • Cannot be fullbright!
  • NEW maps only! This means no updates to old joke maps for consideration in the contest. This also means if you have started something before this announcement but it wasn't played in previous April Fools events, it's okay to submit!
  • Editing an older "serious" map is acceptable, as long as there is enough of a change to it. I'm probably not going to disqualify anyone for this, but it certainly won't help your scores if you only changed a few small things.
  • Collaboration is allowed, and you are welcome to use any custom content made by yourself or others!
  • Must be able to spawn 32 players (16 per team)
  • ONE entry per primary author, discounting non-mapper roles, such as modelers or particle creators.
  • If you need to use a point_servercommand, contact a staff member first regarding it. Don't surprise us with anything, because it could potentially break our servers.
  • No MvM (sorry again, just wanted to keep this on our usual servers!)
  • I'll sort through the maps before hand to make sure they work and don't break any rules.

Voting Format:

I, Crash, will be the ONLY one judging this event! Be fully aware of this as you go into this! The results will be just based on my opinion. I love silly maps, I've made some pretty popular silly maps. I have an eye for what it takes to make a silly joke map technically, and what can make them fun! I'll be looking for maps that not only are goofy, but have some staying power to them. Joke maps are serious business. Note, trying to pander to me specifically will most likely cost you points, just a heads up. I'm just a judge, you're making these for everyone.

Here's the categories I'll be rating the maps on:
Fun: How fun is it to play? How funny is it? Are you constantly bombarding me with your gimmicks, or did you give the players some breathing room?

Gameplay: Does it hold up on its own as a decent map? How's the layout? Is it a decent map with funny gimmicks, or was all the effort put into the jokes?

Originality: How original is your joke? Did it make me take a step back for a second and go "why didn't I think of that?!" Or did you just throw some trains, saws, and lasers around on a map you've had kicking around and call it a day?

Technical: How hard was this technically to make? A good gimmick can take some serious effort. Did you break some new ground with the engine? Great! That said, creative use of basic technical components is always nice to see!

How to submit:
Send me a PM so all the submissions are a surprise before our actual gameday.
Make the title of your PM: "April Fools Submission"
Attach your map file to your PM directly.
Give me the exact file name in the body of the message (koth_trainsawlaser_rc1)
Repacking your map is greatly appreciated before you submit it, it'll save me time.

Deadline for submission is March 31st 2018 at 8PM GMT+0

Prizes:
First place gets two picks from the prize pool and bragging rights for being the best joke map of the year
Second place gets one game from the prize pool
Third place also gets one pick from the prize pool
Everyone below that doesn't get a damn thing! Haha!

Everyone who places will also be featured in a contest wrap up video on Crash's Youtube channel, with links to their Steam workshop included!

Now go make silly maps!

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
I've been working on concepts for a April Fools MvM map for a few months now.

Better dust off Hammer and get to work.

Startacker!

WANT ME TO BE REAL? MAKE ME.
aa
Jun 15, 2013

Sarexicus

info_player_sarex
aa
Apr 18, 2017
i have a lot of ideas, and most of them are terrible, making them the best candidates. :^)

good luck to everyone!

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Seems like I'm missing a font, unless times new roman (or whatever font) is what we're going with (ex:
upload_2017-11-30_20-37-5.png
)
It's not fully working as intended, but works. I didn't put much effort into looking into it.

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
I'd love to know how to set up music like you did on wubwubwub. I've had an idea for a joke map for 4 years now but the technical aspects of it discouraged me from ever attempting to make it.

Fragancia

L2: Junior Member
Feb 22, 2013
Is it allowed to use handmade sourcemod plugins to handle the entity side of the map?

There's only so much you can do with the entities in hammer only, tf2 doesn't have vscripts like newer Valve games do.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
A few questions:
NEW maps only! This means no updates to old joke maps for consideration in the contest. This also means if you have started something before this announcement but it wasn't played in previous April Fools events, it's okay to submit!
I made a joke map for the April Fools gameday this year, but it was never submitted to any contest. Does that disqualify it?

If you need to use a point_servercommand, contact a staff member first regarding it. Don't surprise us with anything, because it could potentially break our servers.
C̶a̶n̶ ̶s̶v̶_̶c̶h̶e̶a̶t̶s̶ ̶1̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶d̶?̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶g̶i̶m̶m̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶q̶u̶i̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶c̶h̶e̶a̶t̶s̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶P̶M̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶

EDIT: NVM, the idea I had in mind actually probably won't go too well on a dedicated server running map rotations.

ONE entry per primary author, discounting non-mapper roles, such as modelers or particle creators.
Can we submit multiple maps to the gameday that aren't in the contest?

Last edited:

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Is it allowed to use handmade sourcemod plugins to handle the entity side of the map?

There's only so much you can do with the entities in hammer only, tf2 doesn't have vscripts like newer Valve games do.

No plugins, sorry. It's intended to be a mapping contest, so pushing the limits of what you can do with Hammer.

A few questions:

I made a joke map for the April Fools gameday this year, but it was never submitted to any contest. Does that disqualify it?

C̶a̶n̶ ̶s̶v̶_̶c̶h̶e̶a̶t̶s̶ ̶1̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶d̶?̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶g̶i̶m̶m̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶q̶u̶i̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶c̶h̶e̶a̶t̶s̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶P̶M̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶

EDIT: NVM, the idea I had in mind actually probably won't go too well on a dedicated server running map rotations.

Can we submit multiple maps to the gameday that aren't in the contest?

If it was played in the game day last year, it can't be submitted, sorry!

You can definitely submit multiple not in the contest, just be sure to define which is your entry and which aren't very clearly for me.

Mind you though, I'd prefer not to have half a dozen minimal effort maps from someone and one serious attempt, it's going to be a lot to sort through as is.

teamwork.tf

L1: Registered
May 20, 2016
This is gonna be good! Really hope I could participate, but the time probably wouldn't allow it. Really excited on the results though!

P

Prosciutto

So wait the contest ends on april 1st?

EDIT: i just saw it was march 31st

Last edited by a moderator:

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014

LadyRaee

CHEERFULLY SUICIDAL
Sep 1, 2012
Be ready, be prepared! It's time for your worst nightmare turned true!
Teenage Mutant Ninja Pyros

Flipy

I like foxes
aa
Jul 20, 2016
Wasnt submitted to any april fool's days, but I tested the waters for an april fools map last 72 hour, that should be fair game for me to expand upon right?