The Tough Break Update is Coming...

Jul 6, 2015
Pyro is no longer a semi skilled class, degreaser is fallen.
w+m1 will reign forever, Phlog is our new puff n' sting. Expect compeditive to ban it even harder.
Stock got a buff, but no one used stock before degreaser got hit with the ban hammer. (valves ban hammer of nerfing)
So basicly, 2 afterburn damage, and half the switch speed? Thats not good.
They FINALLY fixed the reserve shooter, but doesnt matter when phlog reigns.
Rip Pyro, RIp Demo, Rip skill to equal more damage in tf2....

This update should be called the Skill-less update:
Taking a break from skill
- Nerf'd meta's that have been around since they were first added in tf2 years ago
- killed pyro's skill combos
- killed demoknight's survivability and best weapons / shield
- buffed skill-less weapons

Why valve.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
I assume they nerfed the Degreaser so they could actually gather data on the pyro's other weapons.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Well, here's some data on the Backburner for them: It doesn't freaking work. I don't know if it's just lag compensation causing me to think they're facing away from me when they're really not, but the vast majority of the time it feels like it should work, it doesn't.

Dec 28, 2014
Glad to see more maps added in as always, congrats to the map makers.

I'm not feeling some of these balance changes as much as Gun Mettle. I'm unsure about a lot of the Pyro changes at this point and I'm not super happy about the Engie Rescue Ranger and Sentry Gun Sapper nerf. I guess we'll have to see how it plays out.

Uncuepa

aa
Oct 25, 2014

TyeZenneth

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2014
Because it was impossible to switch weapons before.

I did, and I did fine.

And more ridiculous hyperbole.

The only real issue with pyro was the phlog buff. No doubt this will change soon, anyway.
All this means to me, as a guy who uses a flamethrower skin, a shotgun skin, and the the powerjack, is that I don't get ridiculed for my nearly-default loadout now.
Which is great.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Balance patches like this are probably going to be the norm for the rest of this game's lifespan. With DotA and LoL, abilities regularly get buffed/nerfed depending not only on what's powerful and what's not, but also what's popular and what's not. I assume Valve intends on applying that philosophy to TF2 (granted, on a once-every-three-months basis rather than weekly).

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Ha, so putting texture quality on anything higher than medium crashes the game. Even though they allowed me to put it on High again.

Good programming Valve. Top notch.

Also, Ultra isn't even an option anymore. You can select it but it will fall back to high again. Probably because the game is even more unstable at that texture quality. Although that's not really possible, as you can't be more unstable than crashing all the time.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Balance patches like this are probably going to be the norm for the rest of this game's lifespan. With DotA and LoL, abilities regularly get buffed/nerfed depending not only on what's powerful and what's not, but also what's popular and what's not. I assume Valve intends on applying that philosophy to TF2 (granted, on a once-every-three-months basis rather than weekly).
Balance patches like these are going to be the end of the game if Valve continues to release these half-arsed poorly thought out balance changes alongside the usual break-the-game-even-more-than-it-already-was stuff that's basically 100% guaranteed going to happen no matter how big the update.

Tf2 is eating up too much disk space on my computer, valve really needs to optimize the files and game logic.
It's 18.5GB now. Holy balls. I remember the days of this game barely touching 10GB. Don't tell me it's 8 GB of maps and useless cosmetics (the latter probably is true).

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Balance patches like these are going to be the end of the game if Valve continues to release these half-arsed poorly thought out balance changes alongside the usual break-the-game-even-more-than-it-already-was stuff that's basically 100% guaranteed going to happen no matter how big the update.

From a design standpoint, this isn't very useful, or constructive, infact it's kind of disrespectful. The changes haven't even been ingame for 24 hours. I would suggest that we (we as in everyone) take the weekend, play with the new stuff as much as possible, and then on monday come back and discuss the changes in a more constructive manner. See what people think after trying it for a while.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
They also buffed the weapon switch speed for all classes, so the degreaser debuff isn't as harsh as it seems when reading the stats. Of course, if everyone can switch a little faster, it means a pyro has to react that little bit faster, too.

The one I have my eye on is the sapper change. In the past, it seemed like even a newb spy could just continually sap your buildings, and if you didn't immediately stop to chase him down and kill him, you would never be able to save any of your buildings. Of course, if you stop to kill him, you still usually lose a building, perhaps two (depending on how far you have to chase him or how spot on your aim is). That encounter always seemed a little off to me; and if you're dealing with a good spy, revolver outputs a LOT of damage making that "stop to kill him" thing even more difficult and likely to result in losing everything.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Personally I think the balance changes are great, for the most part at least. (Still a tad miffed about the Quick Fix but hey ho.)

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
It's 18.5GB now. Holy balls. I remember the days of this game barely touching 10GB. Don't tell me it's 8 GB of maps and useless cosmetics (the latter probably is true).

Don't worry, one or two gigabytes is just junk they haven't bothered removing from HL2. Or do you think that all the HL2 story dialog needs to be included?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Don't worry, one or two gigabytes is just junk they haven't bothered removing from HL2. Or do you think that all the HL2 story dialog needs to be included?
Is that really all in there? Where?

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
From a design standpoint, this isn't very useful, or constructive, infact it's kind of disrespectful. The changes haven't even been ingame for 24 hours. I would suggest that we (we as in everyone) take the weekend, play with the new stuff as much as possible, and then on monday come back and discuss the changes in a more constructive manner. See what people think after trying it for a while.
Disrespectful? I'm terribly sorry, but if Valve allows TF2 to be released in the state it is now, not counting weapon balancing, they're the one being disrespectful, to both the game itself and to me as a (now no longer) paying customer. You as a game designer should know that you can't release a broken game to the masses and ask money for it in return yet here is Valve doing exactly that. Don't go "the update is free": only the weapon balances are free. Every other bit of content is behind a paywall, down to the motherducking cosmetic crate.

If you want me to be constructive, sure. Let's talk about our favorite masked mumbling psycho: the Pyro.

The addition of the Degreaser changed the way the entire class was played down to the core level. No more holding down M1 while running into people with the occasional airblast here and there. It traded afterburn damage (and later primary fire damage) for greatly increased weapon switching speeds so using your secondary and melee was not only much more useful, it was encouraged. This weapon was made for doing one thing: weapon combo's. No more W+M1'ing, instead you needed quite a bit of skill in order to time your airblasts with your Shotgun shots or a flare shot, with the latter having the extra "drawback" of needing good predicting skills as well since, well, it's a flare that goes in one direction and one direction only. No bullet spread on this one. No homing projectile mechanics. It goes where you pointed your crosshair when you fired.

The other option is the Backburner, which is made specifically for M1'ing (by initially not even having the option to airblast). Not the cheap running-straight-into-others kind however, but rather the kind that required knowing the map well and using the flanking routes in order to get behind people. If you manage to pull that off without being seen and shot at you are rewarded with guaranteed crits, and rightfully so. You're basically a Spy without the disguise or cloak, so you better be rewarded nicely for doing all that. Hell, for a while it even did more damage than stock to compensate for the fact that not all maps have great flanking routes (or not having flanking routes at all, like Turbine or Junction although even that is questionable since the stock Flamethrower still exists).

Then Pyromania came out. The overall base damage of every flamethrower was increased by 10%. The Backburner no longer did 10% more damage than the stock flame thrower but because the entire weapon category got buffed its damage remained the same. Same with the Degreaser, but this time it kept the same damage as the old stock Flamethrower. This was kind of needed as base flame thrower damage was kind of low for what it was.

Let's backtrack to 5 months before Pyromania. Between Mannconomy (which included the Degreaser) and Pyromania, the Phlogistinator was released with the 2011 Australian Christmas update. It promoted the very thing the Backburner did (getting guaranteed crits under certain conditions), except you could now get crits from any angle. The majority of people had the same opinion about this weapon: it requires very little skill and is not fun to fight against. If you let yourself get ambushed by a Backburner Pyro, you kinda deserve the crits. If you round the corner and a fully charged Phlog Pyro comes at you you don't deserve to get the crits unleashed at you, yet you're getting them anyway. Valve tried to fix this by giving the taunting Pyro less damage resistance (from 90% to 75%) but it still was a cheap alternative to everything else.

Fast forward to Love&War. Out of the blue the Axtinguisher gets nerfed to near uselessness doing basically no damage in any other direction besides the back, and as you may know, melee hit detection in TF2 isn't exactly working properly, so more often than not it'll either do mini crits or no damage at all. People now call the Powerjack the new melee of choice forgetting the fact that if you're in melee range as a Pyro you either need a guaranteed kill or a bloody good reason (75 health on kill is a good reason) to be there or you're a dead person since basically every class will outdamage you in that range if they have anything but their melee out (Scout included but any semi-skilled Scout is overpowered anyway to all classes excluding turtling Engineers and general weapon spam). Random crits excluded, the Powerjack doesn't do that. Then Gun Mettle shows up. The next weapon to bite the dust is, you guessed it, the Powerjack, lowering the health regained on kill from 75 to a puny 25. Again, if you're in melee range as a Pyro you need a guaranteed kill or a bloody good reason (25 health on kill isn't a good reason) to be in melee range or you'll be waiting on that respawn timer again.

Now it's Smissmass 2015.

Every class gets a weapon switch speed increase. In order for the Degreaser to not have completely idiotic weapon switch speeds its switch speed to and from gets changed, but due to the overall weapon's switch-to speed increase (which is the speed that matters for combo's) the difference is basically 0. Great! More flame throwers to choose from! Awesome! As a Pyro main I appreciate that. But then for whatever reason Valve decides that the Degreaser needs to be useless now, instead of repurposing the weapon. For instance, it could have been a weapon that rewarded airblasting even more by giving a portion of the ammo back based on damage done by reflected projectiles. Encourages people to airblast even more (in addition to the +20 health on extinguishing a teammate). Sure, give it an airblast penalty (maybe even increase that penalty), but make it do something else in return. It's the last part Valve didn't do which makes this weapon useless, especially since it also basically has no afterburn anymore. Then we go to the Axtinguisher. Oh boy, that's a fun one. For no reason at all there's a 75% increase in switch-to speed. Combine that with the damage and swing speed penalty and you have a weapon that a: takes longer to take out, b: does less damage, and c: swings less often. What? Equipping the current Axtinguisher is an insult to the Axtinguisher because you have to dig it out of its peaceful grave and drag it along into battle while all it's going to do is sit in your melee slot unused because Flare punching is a much better option.

Then we have the Phlog buff. Don't even start on calling that balanced. Full Ubercharge and immune to knockback effects when taunting. Seriously? Like, SERIOUSLY? "Hey, you know that weapon that has crits on demand at no cost and mows down groups of people with almost no skill required? Yeah let's give it Ubercharge and no knockback when activating it. There, balanced". Now, instead of at least trying to get a quick taunt kill or laying down some stickies on the taunting Pyro you gotta de-ass the area with the quickness or you're a dead motherducker. Funke made a great video on the Phlog just now.

In one update with a lot of small changes to a few weapons we went from a class that required skill in almost 90% of the battle scenarios to a braindead "+forward +attack1" in 90% of the battle scenarios. The only exception here is the Backburner, which was (thankfully) left alone (actually got a slight buff because of the increased weapon switch speed). That W+M1'ing is further encouraged by the damage increase further out from the Pyro with the flame throwers. I don't know about you, but only doing W+M1 isn't fun to play as and it sure as hell isn't fun to fight against. Valve went all Snowplow on Pyro: too confusing for new players. Of course, this is with the exception that Snowplow did eventually get included in the game yet I highly doubt Valve will do anything to Pyro to make it a good class again for a very, very long time, seeing how the pre-Tough Break Axtinguisher was in its state for a year-and-a-half.

Don't get me wrong, some of the changes to Pyro and Pyro's weapons are a very welcome thing. Getting health back from extinguishing team mates? Great! Being able to strafe out of an airblast unless you touch the ground? Good, it was frustrating to stay airborne with nowhere to go by getting airblasted all over the place. Reserve Shooter still needs to have one shot removed but at least it doesn't punish people from pressing the spacebar anymore. But other than that all Valve has done is discourage getting skilled at Pyro by actively promoting to just hold down M1 and hope someone walks in front of you. Right now my new stock loadout is Backburner+Detonator+Powerjack (just for the speed) because it's the last loadout Pyro has that still takes skill to do right, and I enjoy being tested on my abilities with rewards if I get it right. That is, if I get TF2 to work for more than 30 seconds.

My suggestion: make Pyro have an even faster default weapon switch speed on all weapons and repurpose the Degreaser into a true airblast-promoting weapon. Make the Phlog less braindead by giving the Pyro a 25% damage reception increase during Mmmph (like with the Crit 'a Cola for Scout) and increased knockback so you have a bigger chance of getting killed while charging at people with the glowing crit monstrosity. Get the Axtinguisher back to the pre-Love&War state while keeping the 20% swing speed increase so it's not doing 195 damage every .8 seconds. Finally make W+M1'ing less effective by giving every flamethrower an overheat mechanic that renders the weapon useless after holding down M1 for x seconds. Give the Backburner and Phlog a buff/exception to that mechanic since those weapons have the M1 concept in their core weapon design.

Constructive enough? Or do you want me to also tell you about the death of the Demoknight/Hybrid Demoknight in detail?

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Disrespectful? I'm terribly sorry, but if Valve allows TF2 to be released in the state it is now, not counting questionable weapon balancing, they're the one being disrespectful, to both the game itself and to me as a (now no longer) paying customer. You as a game designer should know that you can't release a broken game to the masses and ask money for it in return yet here is Valve doing exactly that. Don't go "the update is free": only the weapon balances are free. Every other bit of content is behind a paywall, down to the motherducking cosmetic crate.

Yes, I felt that you coming in and making grand claims (and this goes to more than just you) that XYZ are 'broken' is somewhat disrespectful. As a designer, it kind of hurts to see someone come in and be like "Hey, this really sucks, it's broken!" within 12 hours of a major balance change without giving it a chance to settle. Meta changes take time to adjust and settle. Additionally, the way your post (and specifically this first paragraph) was written tells me that your feedback, ontop of being knee-jerk is more emotional than logical. This does not invalidate your feedback. However, it's not the full picture. It's better feedback than what you've given, but I still wouldn't call it perfect.

Additionally (and to kind of add to my point about emotional/kneejerk rather than logical) you claim (less than 24 hours after the update) that Valve is being disrespectful for releasing a balance patch that you personally feel is broken. I know you can't release a broken game to the masses and ask for a money, or provide the option to spend money on it. The game works, it plays well on almost all systems, there's minimal major bugs (except for most of those tiny ones), it's stable. By definition, it is not broken. Broken is like, Assassins Creed Black Flag or Unity or whatever. Like I said before, and will continue to keep saying: These types of patches take time to settle. After talking with Dave Riller and Eric Smith in person at Valve, no more than a month ago, I can say that I have confidence that they and the rest of the TFTeam can take this game in a positive direction.

Now, onto the Phlog: Yes, fine feedback. I appreciate that you took the time to write up all that. I personally feel that is helpful.
I'm still not 100% convinced that the Phlog buff/nerf whatever is broken. I've played maybe 45minutes in the new patch. Every minute it was against a phlog pyro. I didn't feel like it was all that bad. I don't think I've had enough time to make a solid stance on it, but so far I haven't seen it stand out to me. Using the phlog in the current Tough Break Patch means you're giving up two things: Airblast (as always) and extinguishing team-mates. Which means, you're going to be a bit harder pressed to survive since you can't reflect things back and you can't get the 20HP bonus on teammate extinguish. Now, you're not completely locked out of that because you can use the manmelter, I presume, to get the same effect. Then you're losing out on the Damage from the Flaregun/Detonator<3/Shotgun. We'll leave melee weapons up in teh air since I have nothing really to about those. To use the phlog, to get to that powerful state, you sacrifice A LOT. If the current phlog was in the OLD meta, I would agree that it would probably be OP, but this isn't the old meta. It's a new meta, it's a new environment. Things are different. I feel like you might be still stuck in the old mentality of the meta... but that will pass with time... as I continue to say, it takes time to change metas.

Funke brings up some good points, but it's kind of selection bias here. FUNKe, love your videos, and this is no disrespect to you, or your content. FUNKe's a seasoned player. He'll know how to sneak behind people to properly use mmph, he'll know how to use the mmph mechanic. I watched the video in full, then rewatched some sections. What I see is a skilled player using a weapon skillfully, not a new/inexperienced player using it well. There is a BIG difference. In addition, you only ever see him use mmph, you don't see anything in between. You don't know how many times he could've died trying to build mmph, you don't know how long it took for him to get there (how long it takes to get mmph is worth making a note of too). Again, it's selection bias. You're seeing what FUNKe edits in, to help support his point. You don't see anything in between. It's a decent manipulation technique. Again, not saying that FUNKe is bad person or trying to manipulate anyone, but it's something note.

Anywho, my two cents.

tl;dr your feedback only shows to me that you're making kneejerk reactions to something that hasn't settled yet. FUNKe's video is a skilled player using the phlog skillfully, along with a dash of selection bias.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Don't go "the update is free": only the weapon balances are free. Every other bit of content is behind a paywall, down to the motherducking cosmetic crate.
You can play the maps without buying a pass.