The Frontline! Community Project - 1.2 IS LIVE!

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
fl_banner_3.jpg

In the fog of war, sometimes things go unnoticed, and sometimes those things are pretty crucial. But hey, if patching bugs is sure to result in victory, than you must patch bugs! Here’s what’s changed:

- Fixed issue of Spotlight models not being properly packed into 1.1.
- Fixed lighting prefab for the tank model not having a turret.

Thank you to the several community members that pointed these issues out to us, and we’re happy to have fixed them for you all! When installing, please remember to copy and replace the new files over your existing ones! This will ensure that you have all the necessary updates to the Frontline! content.

If any other issues arise, please let us know! We always strive to support the community we create for, and one of the many ways we can do that is make sure we supply them with a surplus of able-bodied content. You can always reach us on our threads on Facepunch, TF2Maps, Polycount, or our Steam Group. You can also contact us at team@frontline.tf if you’d prefer.

Thank you all again, and until next time, keep fighting the good fight!

Click here to download v1.1.1

frontline.tf

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Oh hey. I found a bug in some of the material files; all of the blendbeachgrasstocobble ones have the two surfaceprops listed as dirt and grass, respectively, instead of grass and stone or whatever. I thought something was off about the footstep sounds when I played that one 72 hour entry the other day. And the blendgroundtocobble just has one surfaceprop. Might want to look over all of your blends and make sure your ducks are in a row before the next update.
This hasn't been fixed yet by the way.

Also, wow, you actually added four-way hedge junctions! Thanks! But what about T-shaped ones? Can't hardly make a hedge maze without those.

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
This hasn't been fixed yet by the way.

Also, wow, you actually added four-way hedge junctions! Thanks! But what about T-shaped ones? Can't hardly make a hedge maze without those.

I believe the surfaceprops there just reference what Valve used on their own cobblestone materials. As for T-Juncts, maybe we can do some convincing to get Zoey back on those hedges one last time!

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but I just noticed something a little weird about the lamp posts - there's a small gap where the glass meets the metal:

SEJ34HU.jpg

jhdEzij.jpg

B8ZlQeT.jpg

It's pretty minor but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

EDIT: Oh, another thing: the environment lighting templates in the prop zoo don't have sky_cameras. Again, a minor issue, but I'd super appreciate it if they could be thrown in in the next version because I am very bad at skybox lighting

Last edited:

KaydemonLP

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 17, 2015
you should use pakrat, vide or compilepal.
I tried pakrat and im not sure if im doing it right. First i opened the bsp file. Then i dragged all the frontline files under it. Then i saved it as a bsp. Then removed all the frontline files form the tf2 directory to see if it will work. When i opened the bsp with the files in it the props where all errors. What did i do wrong?

Another Bad Pun

In the shadows, he saw four eyes lit by fire
aa
Jan 15, 2011
I tried pakrat and im not sure if im doing it right. First i opened the bsp file. Then i dragged all the frontline files under it. Then i saved it as a bsp. Then removed all the frontline files form the tf2 directory to see if it will work. When i opened the bsp with the files in it the props where all errors. What did i do wrong?

VIDE is the superior version of Parkrat, so you should use it instead. Be sure to look up a howto tutorial on it. There are plenty online.
Pakrat is so old it sometimes doesn't pack things correctly.
Or, use compilepal, and it will do it automatically.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
You're definitely doing it wrong if you're using the pakrat in the first place. It is outdated enough to say so, and alternatives such as VIDE and CompilePal are plain better.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I believe the surfaceprops there just reference what Valve used on their own cobblestone materials. As for T-Juncts, maybe we can do some convincing to get Zoey back on those hedges one last time!
If not, it should be a pretty easy edit; just slice the 64 straight piece and the cross piece in half and stick them together.

Bapaul

L1: Registered
Sep 26, 2015
cc98bacd-9125-42a1-8098-8efe93e4797c
l6mG9I9.jpg

These things have some weird reflections.
This looks like missing normal maps, though the 1.1 version completely removed the normals for the planks since they didn't add much and saved a lot of file size.

It seems that you didn't (properly) overwrite the files with the 1.1 stuff, so the old vmt still searches for a normal map.

Jusa

aa
May 28, 2013
This looks like missing normal maps, though the 1.1 version completely removed the normals for the planks since they didn't add much and saved a lot of file size.

It seems that you didn't (properly) overwrite the files with the 1.1 stuff, so the old vmt still searches for a normal map.

Alright, thanks! I will do a fresh install just in case.

Jusa

aa
May 28, 2013

Completely removed 1.1.1 and re-extracted 1.1.1 back into my tf/custom, the checkers reflections still appear after a fresh compile. Re-downloading the pack now just to be sure.

edit: even after removing the entire pack, downloading it from the site and extracting it back to its place, the chekers persists.

Last edited:

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
Completely removed 1.1.1 and re-extracted 1.1.1 back into my tf/custom, the checkers reflections still appear after a fresh compile. Re-downloading the pack now just to be sure.

edit: even after removing the entire pack, downloading it from the site and extracting it back to its place, the chekers persists.

Are you absolutely sure there aren't any assets sneaking through from before in a separate folder and overwriting the 1.1.1 changes?

While your situation is unfortunate, it's hard to replicate, making it difficult to pinpoint the issue at hand.

Jusa

aa
May 28, 2013
Are you absolutely sure there aren't any assets sneaking through from before in a separate folder and overwriting the 1.1.1 changes?

While your situation is unfortunate, it's hard to replicate, making it difficult to pinpoint the issue at hand.

I deleted it from my tf/custom folder, checked in hammer and all the models appeared as errors, checked through my files tf/materials/models and no mention of frontline or the trench walls there, redownloaded the pack completely from the site and re-extracted it back to tf/custom. I'm fairly sure this should eliminate the possibility of any files left that could affect this.

Heres the vmt of the "trenchwall_boards_1"

Code:
"VertexLitGeneric"
{
    "$basetexture"    "models/props_frontline/trenchwall_1"
    "$bumpmap"    "models/props_frontline/trenchwall_1_n"
    "$detail" "models/props_frontline/trench_boards_1"
    "$detailscale" "1"
    "$detailblendfactor" "1"
    "$detailblendmode" "0"
    "$phong" "1"
    "$phongexponent" "8"
    "$phongboost" ".2"   
    "$phongfresnelranges"    "[2 1 .8]"
}

Anything wrong with it?

edit: wrong vmt

Jusa

aa
May 28, 2013
I assume this is the vmt the planks use, and while comparing it to the trenchwall_128 vmt (wich does not have this issue) I can see that

Code:
    //"$bumpmap"    "models/props_frontline/trenchwall_1_n"

but it is still
Code:
    "$bumpmap"    "models/props_frontline/trenchwall_1_n"

in the "trenchwall_boards_1" vmt.