The Frontline! Community Project - 1.2 IS LIVE!

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014

C:/hdata

L1: Registered
Dec 21, 2015
Does anyone know what kind of communication Valve even engages in for map makers whose map got accepted into the game? How updates to the map are handled? etc?

Cause I'd be ready to just set my mapcycle to only frontline maps if they could all be fixed not to need the asset pack as an external download.

And when time comes for valve to accept maps you guys could send them the asset pack and versions of the map that work without them packed internally. Cause I do love the strive for optimization.

----

Getting stuck in those tank payloads just while standing on them while traveling down a slope... sometimes even flat surfaces maybe?

I might suggest making the actual gun on top solid / standable for the player too, so the top of the tank is a flat surface instead of a corner you can get pushed into or something.

Or the opposite, make the top of the tank be not solid. Or make an invisible slope. Or something. ;o

Last edited:

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Does anyone know what kind of communication Valve even engages in for map makers whose map got accepted into the game? How updates to the map are handled? etc?

Cause I'd be ready to just set my mapcycle to only frontline maps if they could all be fixed not to need the asset pack as an external download.

And when time comes for valve to accept maps you guys could send them the asset pack and versions of the map that work without them packed internally. Cause I do love the strive for optimization.

How things are handled is a lot different from the years of the Swamp theme, especially since Frontline endorses more than just map development. If Frontline is ever picked up by Valve, I do agree that it would be beneficial for creators to have the assets readily available without the need for packing, but that is dependent on a lot of things that are ultimately out of our control.

The community-wide support definitely helps us reach that point, though it is not a necessity. Frontline will continue to be what it is, and will continue to update to better the community, no matter what. Official or unofficial, the community comes first, and we'll continue to strive to support it in the best ways possible.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Wait, so people are submitting workshop maps without the custom content included? What the hell.
I find it worse that they actualy have to do that. What if each pack is a seperate workshop item (with its own revisions so an update cant break older maps) so maps can choose which one they need exactly. And maps can include those packs. This allows better sharing between packs and makes crediting for each pack easier. Ofcourse, the method of packing will still work, but it at least can save alot of diskspace. As now 5 maps with the same pack can easily take 5x the storage space as each map has the same assets.

C:/hdata

L1: Registered
Dec 21, 2015
That's why I say, it's viable/efficient if it will be added to the game officially and Valve can set it up that way (props outside of the map to avoid duplication), but it's not viable before that happens for anyone to actually run these maps on community servers. Though I dunno how Valve chooses maps exactly.

Frontline is the first community project I ever actually decided to look at, though invasion was the first one I heard about. So I dunno how stuff was done before, though this one does seem more organized and advertised.

----

Map file size isn't a problem for community servers (non-valve servers hosted by whoever) unless it's a single map whose download is too big. I run one server with 100+ maps (VSH) and it's really only a problem for anyone if a single map's size is over around 40-60mb or something, which tends to be big for a single map.

I think the multi-map optimization is only more important if a set of maps is to be released officially as part of the game for everyone who has the game installed, as opposed to the portion who'll join community servers to try other stuff out ;p

----

I'm just not sure how people were planning to playtest their maps with them set up that way.

Last edited:

Joshenkstone

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 24, 2015
the spotlight models appear to be missing in v1.1

KaydemonLP

Nov 17, 2015
Yes, most of them are like that. They don't work unless clients install the pack client side or if the server forces everyone who joins to download all of it.
Im kinda new to maping. I thought that hammer does the asset packing itselve. So how to pack the assets into the map so it doesnt require the prop download?

Joshenkstone

Oct 24, 2015
Im kinda new to maping. I thought that hammer does the asset packing itselve. So how to pack the assets into the map so it doesnt require the prop download?
you should use pakrat, vide or compilepal.

Joshenkstone

Oct 24, 2015
This happens when you don't overwrite your existing files. When installing 1.1, please do "copy and replace" when prompted.
then how are people who install the pack today who didn't have any previous versions gonna get the spotlight model?

BenCo

Dec 30, 2015
So we still don't have a deadline do we? I'm just feeling that I'm gonna run out of time with my map.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Deadline is set by Valve, if they approve, and is gonna be about 1-2 months I guess. You've got plenty of time.

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
then how are people who install the pack today who didn't have any previous versions gonna get the spotlight model?

1.1 has everything 1.0 did. You just didn't overwrite your files, as the spotlight models were updated in 1.1 and you didn't install it correctly. Copy and replace your files when installing 1.1 and you won't have any issues, nor will anyone else.

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
So we still don't have a deadline do we? I'm just feeling that I'm gonna run out of time with my map.

No deadline yet, as we don't set those kinds of things. As soon as we hear of anything like that though, we'll be sure to communicate it to the community promptly!

Joshenkstone

Oct 24, 2015
1.1 has everything 1.0 did.
It doesn't,1.1 only contains the physics files for the spotlights it's missing the other model files.

V1.0
bDdR_VNNRgPp7faHEaUKS50H_PtoUHCupk1dcgOiIOE

V1.1
hDw5lWX-Osubf6YQyqzQj87PvjEPpb72pqPsD_zqhwI

and yes i did re download the pack to be sure that it wasn't an issue with the download.

Void

aa
Sep 14, 2008
It doesn't,1.1 only contains the physics files for the spotlights it's missing the other model files.

V1.0
bDdR_VNNRgPp7faHEaUKS50H_PtoUHCupk1dcgOiIOE

V1.1
hDw5lWX-Osubf6YQyqzQj87PvjEPpb72pqPsD_zqhwI

and yes i did re download the pack to be sure that it wasn't an issue with the download.

Woops. We'll fix that. Sorry about that!