TF2Maps.net Mapping Contest #6: (A)Symmetry CP

Mister_L

L1: Registered
Jan 23, 2011
I want to join the contest, but before making any big move, I need to know if this layout and capping pre-requisites would be okay:

http://img96.imageshack.us/i/symmetry.png/
The Base CPs (team-colored circles) are right in front of the spawn rooms, and unavailable for capture.
When the match starts, the teams will fight for the three middle points (gray circles) in any order.
Once a team, BLU for example, has the three middle CPs at the same time, the RED's Base CP is available for capture. There's two outcomes of this:
-> If BLU caps the last point, they win.
-> If RED caps any of the three Mid-CPs, their Base CP is locked again.

Basically it's a 5-CP Push map, but with some alterations. If that's not okay, Ravidge, please tell me. I have a backup plan (Attack/Defend 5CP), just in case :)

Apr 13, 2009
I don't think that's against the rules, but I strongly recommend you do not do it, because it cannot play well in TF2. Basically, you're spreading the players all over the map, turning the game into a serie of 1 on 1 skirmishes. Plus there are basically flanks everywhere, which means completely chaotic gameplay.
I've tried somehting similar in the past and was never satisfied with the result.
Just don't have more than 2 objectives enabled on the map at any time. Ever. Doesn't matter if the objective is a cp, a payload cart, or an intel briefcase.

Mister_L

Jan 23, 2011
Nerdboy and Loc_n_lol:
I guess you're right. Better get back to the Attack/Defend map.
BTW, it's a 5-CP GravelPit-esque. A+B -> C+D -> E. Probably much better than the other idea.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I'm going to assume that i can take bits and pieces* of an unfinished map of mine (cp_sandstone) and use them in this contest?

*partial or entire buildings, structures, terrain, etc.

I rather you didn't.
So many people have been trying to recycle old creations that I had to put in a extra clause in the rules: "No straight out copying or stealing content from other maps, official or otherwise. Inspiration and ideas are good, just make sure you built it yourself for this competition."

I want to join the contest, but before making any big move, I need to know if this layout and capping pre-requisites would be okay:

http://img96.imageshack.us/i/symmetry.png/
The Base CPs (team-colored circles) are right in front of the spawn rooms, and unavailable for capture.
When the match starts, the teams will fight for the three middle points (gray circles) in any order.
Once a team, BLU for example, has the three middle CPs at the same time, the RED's Base CP is available for capture. There's two outcomes of this:
-> If BLU caps the last point, they win.
-> If RED caps any of the three Mid-CPs, their Base CP is locked again.

Basically it's a 5-CP Push map, but with some alterations. If that's not okay, Ravidge, please tell me. I have a backup plan (Attack/Defend 5CP), just in case :)

This is fine. Though I see you've already abandoned it?

Mister_L

Jan 23, 2011
This is fine. Though I see you've already abandoned it?
Hmm, I'm not sure yet.
I shouldn't have replied so fast, since I wanted your opinion, but Loc_n_lol did have a good point. Since you said that my map is ok by the rules, I'll decide if it's also ok by the gameplay's (and fun's) POV.

Alright, I'll plan some more now, and make the map thread when I finish the Alpha. I'll try to post only if it's worth questioning.

Apr 13, 2009
@Mister_L, youcould remove one of the three CPs and get something somewhat better, but I've seen other maps using that and it didn't turn out very well either. Maybe if the neutral CPs are sufficiently close to each other... or... something. I wouldn't rule it out completely, but playtest it early and keep a backup idea.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
cp_grinder springs to mind.

Mister_L

Jan 23, 2011
Well, thanks everyone for the opinions. I decided to make a regular 5CP map, so no more worries.
Maybe after the contest I can try that concept, but not now.

Motanum

L2: Junior Member
Jan 30, 2011
Construction pack?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but can I use the Construction Pack in my map entry?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Yes you can. It was publicly released for the public to use. I'm pretty sure this was added to the OP.

You can use the swamp pack (though it went official anyway), construction pack, bullet crops pack and any other individually released content released for public use.

Last edited:

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
just want to make sure here, but what would disqualify a map in this contest?
in the past contests there were things like: upload it to the correct place, make sure you have X number of references to tf2maps.net, and other requirements.
this time it seems that: as long as you are mapping for the right game mode and don't collab with someone your map won't be disqualified.

so, is that it, or is there more to it than that?