TF2Maps.net Mapping Contest #6: (A)Symmetry CP

Doctor Paprika

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 24, 2011
As a grad student, I have a two week window in which I have nothing to do for either school or work, and - because I am insane - I have decided to try and make a map for this contest in that time frame.

Yes, make a full map in two weeks.

Now, my question for the more experienced mappers is this: is there any way to expedite the alpha/beta testing? What is the shortest amount of time I could possibly accomplish it in?

I am very confident in my map design, concept, and ability to actually put it all together quickly, but I do not want to skip too much play-testing and submit it with some glaring oversight.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Buy VIP, upload your map every revision, get into chat and organize some impromptus. A lot of impromptus.

Moose

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 4, 2009
Now, my question for the more experienced mappers is this: is there any way to expedite the alpha/beta testing? What is the shortest amount of time I could possibly accomplish it in?

Get as much done as you can and don't waste time. If you're waiting to test a new alpha, go ahead and work on the next alpha. (Or if there isn't anything to work on, detail areas you're confident won't change.)

Also, keep a list of things you need to do, so you don't forget something stupid like cubemaps.

the shortest amount of time you can get things done in just depends on how quickly you work, and how much you end up needing to change.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I've started going through the judge applications now.
Now, remember that May 10th is the deadline to apply for judge position. Being picked could happen before or after that date! So confirmation on your position may take time, but if I responded to your application, that means it's still in the "race".

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Submissions open on the 18th, right?

Also tomorrow is the last day to apply for judging, right?

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008

sniprpenguin

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 14, 2008
So confirmation on your position may take time, but if I responded to your application, that means it's still in the "race".

Well now I'm confuzzled.

Does a response include the autoreply?

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
The "autoreply" is a confirmation that I've read your submission. Another message will be sent to those people that are confirmed candidates about their position. If you've not recieved a message clearly stating you're either accepted or rejected, you're still being considered as a candidate.

Last edited:

MoonHitler

L1: Registered
Jan 22, 2011
I'm out - I'm not getting as much time as I'd like to work on it, so it won't be complete in time. Nevermind, there'll be more competitions.

Apr 13, 2009
If I upload a map submission say.. today, for safety, I can update it until the deadline without causing problems, right ? I don't have to submit the final version immediately ?

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
If I upload a map submission say.. today, for safety, I can update it until the deadline without causing problems, right ? I don't have to submit the final version immediately ?

As mentioned in the upload thread you can update your submission as many times as you like before the deadline.

So the answer is yes. And actually I would recommend people to do just that if they're planning to getting frisky with the last-minute submissions. Better to have something than nothing.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Copy-pasting this part from the OP to remind people how voting will work:

Judgment Procedure:
Eligibility: Maps will be checked and disqualified when the contest submission deadline ends if they do not meet the rules.

Judging Categories
There are 5 judging categories, each one has a different weight on the final score of the map.
The Gameplay and Balance categories account for 25% each, Aesthetics and Performance account for 20% each while Technical is 10%.

Gameplay (25% of final score) - Does the map have a good flow, is the layout intuitive? Are spawn timers correctly adjusted to create battles in the right areas? Is the map scaled properly, are the walk times between points of interest too long or short?
Balance (25%) - Do RED and BLU stand an even chance of winning the map? Is there a fair contest for each control point? Can each class hold their own in the map? Is any one overpowered or underpowered? Is there a good distribution of health and ammo kits?
Aesthetics (20%) - Is the map intricate and beautiful? Is there a high level of polish to the map? Does the map fit the style of TF2? Do the individual detailing choices make the map feel put together, or discordant? Is the environment visually pleasing?
Performance (20%) - How well the map is optimized. Framerate, filesize, etc.
Technical (10%) - Does the map have bad clipping? Does any spawns leave you stuck in the floor/wall? Does capture blocking work properly for all CPs?

First component - Popular Vote
  • One thread will be made where votes will be posted to. The first post will contain a template vote which voters will copy and paste as their reply, changing the numbers to reflect their opinions.
  • In that thread, voters will have the opportunity to grade each map for all categories, from 1-10, as well as giving a short summary if they wish.
  • The results of each vote, after the judging time is over, will be calculated together to get an average rating for each map.
  • Users MAY NOT grade their own maps.
  • The goal of the popular vote is to get an overall rating for each map based on everyone's impression of how fun it is. It prevents judges' votes from counting too much, and makes sure the winners are indicative of our entire community's feelings.