TF2Maps.net Mapping Contest #6: (A)Symmetry CP

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Ok. So, qualifying game modes:

A/D, single- or multi-stage, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7cp etc are all legal? (Not that I advise 7cp A/D or anything)
Push, with any amount of CPs, in any hierarchy, are all legal? (again, not suggesting, just proposing)
A+B > C, and ALL variants are all legal? (AGAIN, just proposing)
STEEL-esque goal strings are legal?
Teritorial Control is legal.

Not sure what you mean by "in any hierarchy", but other than that, yes.

I'd much rather get PM's about cp variations than try and list what you can and can't do right up front. Reading a list just grinds all imagination to a halt.

Lyzak

L2: Junior Member
Aug 17, 2010
Ah, I see ;_;

Anyways, all I meant by Hierarchy is how points need to be captured.

Example, you have a 6cp push map. 2 "Base" points and 4 middle points, 2 on each side. An example of unorthodox hierarchy would be having to cap both points on your side before capping either of the points on your opponent's side, and having to then capture both of those before capping their base point.

Or, in much simpler terms, Hierarchy is what capture point(s) need to be owned before capturing X.

Oh, PS, I'm not using that example, so it's open for stealing. =D

Lyzak

Aug 17, 2010
Hm, I actually think I'm going to retire from this contest. It seems that my knack is thinking, but I'm just not experienced enough to really manifest those ideas...

Kinda a sad realization to come to, that one's strong point is just dreaming things up.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I know I said what I said, asked what I asked, but in the end I think I'm not going to do the idea I wanted to do. Instead I'm going to make another 2cp a/d map (using what I've been creating), because there just aren't enough of them.

Should I make a new thread? If not, can someone rename my thread to Desertion and make it cp please? Thanks!

...For anyone curious, the idea I had (and have shared before) was to do a 3cp push map. The winner of that would then attack in a 1 or 2 cp (still undecided) attack map like the final points of Hydro. So the push part was going to be a mining facility, and then Red would go on to destroy Blu's payload factory while Blu would go on to destroy Red's rocket plant. Hence "last stand". But that is something I currently don't have the capacity to create.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyzak

Aug 17, 2010
I believe it's been said that you can use custom X as long as either:
1) It's publicly available as of the start of the contest, or
2) You personally make it.

Whark

L3: Member
Jul 26, 2010
Ouch. Just the thought of entering makes me start hurting all over. I think I have to puke.

Boregano

L1: Registered
Jan 8, 2011
This'll be interesting. I've never made a TF2 map before. I'm not new to Hammer, but I'm sure there are different aspects to it when making TF2 maps. What a better way to learn than a contest!

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
So are there plans for a preliminary round or anything? I think the competitive CTF contest certainly showed how many entries there can be, and it would be nice to avoid more preliminary drama.

If something like that were to happen, I will let people know. The contest has only been running for like 2 weeks so far so I can't really give you a straight answer.

This contest has 2 categories of maps, and that hopefully will mitigate the need for a prelim somewhat too.

Geal

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 16, 2009
What do you mean by preliminary round ?

Last year's competitive CTF contest had I think around 25 final entries, and it was too much to be fairly judged. So for about a month after the end of the contest, there was a ton of drama about how and if there would be preliminary eliminations. Eventually it was worn down to 10 finalists chosen by the judges, I think.

I figure it would be safe to assume that this could very well happen again, and start planning accordingly and let us know ahead of time. I know it's still really early in the contest, which is why I think it should be brought up - so we can get everything decided and agreed upon.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Part of the problem was also that we didn't have the judges we were supposed to have. So there were very few judges judging a lot of maps. I would have been happy judging all 25, A Boojum Snark did. IT wasn't impossible, but some people had a stick up there arse about it (Flame).

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008

Why just mention flame? Put me on the list, I sure as hell didn't want to write 25 reviews. My 10 reviews were long and took long enough already.

You're so considerate grazr :/

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Why just mention flame? Put me on the list, I sure as hell didn't want to write 25 reviews. My 10 reviews were long and took long enough already.

You're so considerate grazr :/

OK, then Icarus was a lazy boob too. If you're gonna volunteer to review a bunch of maps then you should probably show some respect to the guys who spent 3 months building a map by taking 20 minutes to write a review on it, whether it was good or not (that's exactly what the review is for, not idle praise for a winning entry/runner up). If you're testing the maps like you said you would then the feedback should come naturally and you'd want to feedback a map you spent so much time playing. I reviewed all 25 maps and i wasn't even a judge. It wasn't hard.

But maybe that's just me. That's just how i feel about it. I'm sure everyone appreciates the time you took to review the maps you did but most people expected more and i don't think it was unreasonable as this was already implied. Shunning half the maps didn't feel in the spirit of TF2maps or the contest. But again, that's just me. I'm sorry if that irks you...

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
modern warfare remakes?

cp_wetwork = cp_granary_night_rain