[Resource] Architectural References

Bud Calypso

L1: Registered
Jul 28, 2015
It always helps me to take a look at the work of photographers and architects.
They may not always have the TF2-look or -feel at first glance, but they can inspire a composition.

Ruins of Detroit is a beautiful series and this was my desktop background for a long time:

MLG9PYk.jpg

Don't want to double post this, but should fit the abandoned theme of Vincent's Theme Inspiration too.

In terms of modern architecture I was recently introduced to the austrian architects of querkraft.
I like their asymmetrical style and try to create a CP of the map I'm working on, inspired by this:

BcDzVNs.jpg

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
Honestly looked like a CS:GO map when I first took a glance.

Flippy :3

Graphics Designer and Aussie Weeb
Sep 7, 2015
In terms of modern architecture I was recently introduced to the austrian architects of querkraft.
I like their asymmetrical style and try to create a CP of the map I'm working on, inspired by this:

BcDzVNs.jpg

Don't know why, but this photo reminds me of the School map from the old tony hawk pro skater games

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Photos from urban explorers do tend to be a good source of period architecture, especially interiors, since so many older buildings that are still in use would have been renovated with a more modern style by now.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
A fun useful tip I've found when looking for reference images is to search for Model Railways in your theme, because the geometry will be fairly simple but built to look visually appealing.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014

Inventorkid

Oct 12, 2014
I could easily confuse most of these as actual buildings in TF2 being edited into real pictures.

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Here's some pics from an old movie theater in my town. It was build in the 40s, so It might be of use to someone.

Moonfixer

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 23, 2014
I always wanted to make a model train layout.

Aug 30, 2015
Last edited:

iTi

Mar 14, 2016
Some spytech/ rocket base references from 60s TV shows
ryCHTmM.png

DNJUJoJ.png

azMqVFt.png

rVP3UBF.png

MJ5S0y4.png

mNvSTtI.png