Proposal: A1s-Of-Popular-Maps Night

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
I'll come up with a catchier title later.

So this is an idea I entertained chat with a while ago, and continued to do so periodically while I continually forgot to make an actual bloody thread about it.

The idea is that we run a event where we play the very first-released versions of maps that were later bought by Valve, or are otherwise very popular in the community (such as in competitive TF2). Besides being a bit of fun, I also figured it'd show new mappers that these incredible, beautiful, ambitious projects didn't start as such - a lot of them kinda sucked, actually - and in turn encourage them to not give up on a project just because it had a few rocky tests. (That's something I could've learned earlier...)

NOTE: I'd like to keep it solely to a1's (and a0's if you like), but I'll allow newer versions if it's an absolute necessity (if the first version has broken spawns/objectives etc)

So, who would be interested in taking part in this? And veteran map makers, would you be willing to put a map forward?

EDIT: Serious maps only. I know Mario Kart and cp_orange are popular, but... no.

EDIT 2: Here are the maps we've got so far:
arena_suijin_a1
cp_byre_72_a1
cp_borneo_a1
cp_crash_72_a1 (aka the original cp_glassworks_a1)
cp_furnace_a1
cp_sunshine_a1
pl_corrode_a1
pl_frontier_a1
pl_pier_a1/a2
pl_volcanic_a0
plr_nightfall_a1
tc_strata_a1

As you can see there's quite a few, so this'll most likely be split into multiple events.

Last edited:

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
I said in chat a lot but this seems like it could really help out a lot of people, both new and old.

yes thumbs up lets do this

RataDeOrdenador

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 12, 2015
Oh yes,that sounds like a really cool idea.

Yet again,not only to undestand all the steps that were made to finish those maps,but also to see the most important changes that affected their gameplay (like sentry nests,health/ammo,shortcuts,chokepoints...)

So that's a big yes for me.

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
This would be great to see.

Some maps I'd want to suggest:
CP Sunshine A1
PLR Nightfall A1
CP Freight A1
CP Gullywash A1
CP Process A1
CP Snakewater A1
CP Junction A1
What CP Snowplow used to be called A1
CTF Haarp A1
CP Glassworks A1
CP Furnace Creek A1
KotH Moonshine A1
KotH Maple Ridge A1
PL Cashworks A1
PL Pier A1
PL Swiftwater A1

zahndah

professional letter
aa
Jul 4, 2015
May I suggest a map that I'm quite sure is very popular in the community?

cp_orange

doesn't matter which version you use its pretty much a1 anyways

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
May I suggest a map that I'm quite sure is very popular in the community?

cp_orange

doesn't matter which version you use its pretty much a1 anyways
You're the second one to suggest that already. >.>

Making amendmants to the first post.

zahndah

professional letter
aa
Jul 4, 2015
When do we get to bug valve for a1's then?

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Yes! Someone needs to contact @heyo for permission to play it.

Which brings up the point, we would need authors' permissions to play these maps? I'm guessing so.

Mmmhmm.

If the maps are already uploaded / accessable I don't see why not. I think we should only need to go about asking for maps where the downloads aren't listed (i.e. shortcut was privately developed)

Jan 20, 2010
I'd love to see some early versions of Valve maps, but I don't think that's likely I'm afraid. :(

I mean, we could just play Powerhouse.

clnsV9E.gif

Sorry, I don't actually mean that...

We could always ask them? You never know :p Although I'm probably not being any help here.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I mean, we could just play Powerhouse.

clnsV9E.gif

Sorry, I don't actually mean that...

We could always ask them? You never know :p Although I'm probably not being any help here.
It's possible they still have the original half life 1 files. Its possible they have the iterations.