Post Dislikes

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
Otherwise, this is a good change. Posts not relevant to the discussion can be disagreed with and it invites more debates and discussion.
That's what Reddit tells you to do but it has never worked

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
That's what Reddit tells you to do but it has never worked
That is a major flaw in UI design though, they shouldn't tell that the arrow opposite of the "Like/Agree" button is something other than the "Dislike/Disagree" button.

Edit: I also would like to say that a rude/off-topic button would help stop de-railing comments in threads and would like to see something similar implemented

Last edited:

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
Very welcome feature. This can be espesially helpful in the mapping discussion section where people may give good and bad advice, to mark those off which are not so good advices in different posts.

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Great news. I'm not worried about it being used in place of text explaining why someone disagrees with something, because I think people will still post that anyway.

I think that in practice this new rating won't have many genuine uses because most of the contributions and discussion is well-thought out.

If a Disagree rating is incompatible with the post's content, because there isn't anything that can be disagreed with, then it can be ignored and can serve as a mild amusement.

Last edited:

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
I think that it should be "Incorrect", not "Disagree", taking away the negative or "down-vote" aspect of the rating and instead telling the poster clearly and respectfully that they are misinformed

Given without explanation, "you're incorrect" is harsher than "I disagree" by quite a bit. First, "incorrect" without evidence is outright criticism, and often carries the implication of dismissiveness, smugness, or even arrogance.

But WITH explanation, it flips completely around. Then it becomes helpful, explanatory, teaching. If someone doesn't understand why something is being downvoted, they'll interpret it at its worst.

This is a big problem with any disagree rating. You see it happen on Facepunch and reddit CONSTANTLY. "Why am I getting disagrees?" <crickets chirp> "Why am I getting downvoted?" "lel kek welcome to reddit"

People are lazy. If you give them a disagree button, then everyone will just smash that and move on.

When people hit "agree," it translates prety much as "me, too." You don't need to quantify that. "Disagree" instantly provokes "why?" as a response, and being met with silence to that is frustrating.

Bear in mind that I do not subscribe to hand-holding or coddling, nor do I care at all for the "everyone is a winner for trying" mindset. But I do think if you're going to let someone know what they're doing is shit, you have a duty to explain why you think that, honestly, directly, yet politely. And a disagree button discourages that discourse.

If smacking that disagree button also quoted the post to make a response and put focus in the fast reply box, I'd be less opposed to it.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
For what it's worth, this is a trial run of the feature. We (staff) have other ideas on how the system could work in a less shitty-behavior-enabling way, but we pretty much had this system ready to go and we all agreed that it was worth giving a shot.

In other words, we're aware of some of the flaws that this system could bring up, but we want to see if those flaws actually decide to show themselves or not. Facepunch is a much larger community with a different general vibe, so there's no guarantee that the same system will function the same in both their community and ours.

That's not to say that we don't want your feedback. We really need it! It's just gonna take some time to see how things pan out before we can evaluate how well it works.

Roll

-in a daze-
aa
Jun 19, 2009
I'm still more of a fan of the classic single thanks rating than I am of multiple ratings that are hardly different from each other. A single positive rating to just say "I like this post" does the job just as well as the current ratings (minus disagree) do now. Obviously I'm not a heavy user of the forums so my opinion might not hold a lot of weight.

Also having the "Respectfully" in the rating seems unneccessary.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
I'm still more of a fan of the classic single thanks rating than I am of multiple ratings that are hardly different from each other. A single positive rating to just say "I like this post" does the job just as well as the current ratings (minus disagree) do now. Obviously I'm not a heavy user of the forums so my opinion might not hold a lot of weight.

Also having the "Respectfully" in the rating seems unneccessary.
Agreed, I'd like to go back to the old system. IMO you don't need to specify why you like a post, when you can just read the post and determine for yourself why people like it.

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010

The staff discussed this this morning and we can disable the 'Useful' and 'Creative' ratings since 'Useful' could be said by 'Thanks' and 'Creative' can be said by 'Like'. It does seem like there are too many ratings at the moment, and it also dilutes the majority rating (displayed on the forums main pages). This just means you can't use those ratings anymore, but the old uses of it will still be around. I'll do that now!

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
I strongly dislike this change. Useful really had the place on tips and tricks. Also "Thanks" and "Creative" had different meaning in WIP screenshots thread

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
A new icon for "I see what you're saying but I'm not sure I agree," would be super.

Simulacron

L-3: Simulated Member
aa
Feb 17, 2016
Isn't it a bit fast to change the hole rating system at ones? At the end nobody will know what helped and what harmed the rating system.

I strongly dislike this change. Useful really had the place on tips and tricks. Also "Thanks" and "Creative" had different meaning in WIP screenshots thread
I also liked the "Creative" option. It wasn't used very often but gave you the feeling of created sonething fresh and exciting

Izotope

Sourcerer
aa
May 13, 2013
RIP "Creative" and "Useful", you will be missed.
pls bring them back

EksCelle

L1: Registered
Mar 4, 2015
the future of tf2m

FyLiAru.png

Jul 6, 2015
Its alot easier to dislike then to agree, also No one "respectfully" disagrees or they would quote the post and describe why.
A litle red X on the bottom right of a post doesnt do anything justice.
Speaking of which
@Fantasmos
You "respectfully" disagreed with my comment:
"Back in my day there was only a thanks button" which is true, because when I joined the site used a Thank system instead of the 50 or so buttons to do the same thing.
So how could you disagree with a fact?

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
So how should it be used? The Disagree button should be used to indicate that you think the content of a post is unhelpful, low-value or spam