Glassworks

CP Glassworks RC7a

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

FromZero2Hero

L1: Registered
Dec 27, 2014
Hello,

We've played rc3 yesterday with a bunch of "high-div" EU highlander players. First of all, most people said that the map is really pretty, is very detailled and still has good fps. So, no complaints about that. ;-)

The biggest issue in my opinion is pushing last. The score was only 2-0 after 30min and it happend twice because of a backcap. From attackers perspective my feedback. I've posted some of my own suggestions. Feel free to think about them. Some players were also suprised that the map is designed for highlander. The tunnel from mid to 2nd for example is just waking into a death.

Pushing bottom
It's nearly impossible. You end up just getting spammed out. And if you get spammed out, you have to run a very long way back towards the lobby entrance. You just end up getting trapped there. It's not worth the risk. If you fail to push from bottom, you cannot rotate quickly. Some people also think the bottom is to complicated for what it is.

Possibile suggestions:
- Make the exit near the last point a bit wider, less easly to spam.
- Make another two-sided entrance/exit towards the bottom.
- Make the whole tunnel shorter.

Pushing top right
It's hard because a pyro can easly deny the whole push. It's a bit similar with the shutter door on Gullywash last, but even worse because he can stand closely with a medic healing him.

Possibile suggestion:
- Making the glass like you did on the 2nd point could work out. If you can only look through them as attackers, the defenders won't see the push coming.

Pushing left flank (the one you remade)
It still feels a bit useless. Cause there is not really a way to push from. You have to jump up with your entire combo on the boxes to get on the top left. Which is already a big risk cause people that walk out of spam just see you coming.

Possibile suggestion:
- Make a stairs towards the top-left entrance above the remade entrance. If you remake the top left a bit, it might be suitable for some kritz aswell. Because at this point there's not really a viable entrance to use kritz.

Pushing main entrancel
It's very hard aswell. It's a small entrance. A bit the same as gullywash aswell. Will not get used a lot I guess. Not even for flank classes because you just walk into a open place, where there's no place where you can cover at. On gullywash (sorry, to reference always to gully, but it has similarities :p) you can run into sneaky and try to get some captime or something. In this case it's harder. Basicially a demo can spam nearly all entrance way to easy. Three entrances are very close to eachother and the other is in its current state not really suitable.

I hope I helped you a bit with this. It was wrote in a hurry. I'll come back later! :)

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Thanks for the detailed feedback! I really appreciate you taking the time to get it to me!

Last is going to be getting some tweaks for RC4, so this is very helpful.

The basement is sort of intended to be a "hail mary" sort of route, where it won't be used super often but can be useful for a risky push when they aren't expecting it. I might adjust it a bit, though.

As for upper right, I worry about making that glass two-way as it's sort of a weird way to adjust visibility. If anything I could just remove the window (which would actually help optimization quite a bit) but I sort of like how that room works at the moment. Maybe I could make it smaller and off to one side so it's more beneficial to attackers than defenders.

I can look into making the crate-jumping path a bit easier to use. As of now it's sort of intended to be used by those crossing over from the upper lobby across the computer wall to rotate left, but perhaps it'd be a good idea to streamline things a bit over there. Maybe even a new stairway or ramp from the left flank room... Not sure yet, I'll play around with things.

The main lower entrance to last is going to get adjusted, some of the crates around it will be removed and the door will be a bit wider. It's basically only there so there is a direct route into last from the lower lobby area, and as a place a sniper can peek and clear the final a bit.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Updated to RC4!

Downloads in OP

Changelog:
Overhauled basement under last extensively, streamlined it and open it up to make a more viable route
Added "cage" cover on the exit of the basement going to last
Added "sneaky" side area connecting to the formerly dead-end engineer nest room on last
Did further detailing, focusing on final
Adjusted lighting to be a bit more dramatic on final
Smoothed out clipping on ceiling of spawns
Moved a few health/ ammo packs around
Drastically widened main doorway to last and adjusted barrel pallets
Made upper lobby window between rooms smaller and off to one side
Removed the first crate on either side of mid point, stopping most classes

Last edited by a moderator:

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Last looks fantastic now. Nice work.

Now to find something that means this won't be the final version.

Moonfixer

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 23, 2014
I saw your release video on YouTube. I'm looking forward to playing the map with the new changes.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2014
I just checked out the new version, the changes seem pretty good.

I'm looking forward to the final version and I hope Valve considers making this map official, it's really great.

Kraken

Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess
Dec 21, 2014
I just checked out the new version, the changes seem pretty good.

I'm looking forward to the final version and I hope Valve considers making this map official, it's really great.

Valve has not released any custom maps in a year.
So there is that

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Please don't. A map is never final unless you expect Valve to buy it very shortly after. It's not like there's a huge community of people who refuse to play maps that don't have "final" in their name.

Dec 28, 2014
Valve has not released any custom maps in a year.
So there is that

Yeah Valve has been horribly disapointing in regards to community maps over the past few years, even this thread confirms they know they are failing in adding in enough community maps.

It's sad really, in 2014 not counting the Halloween map we got 4 maps from Valve, all in beta, 2 of which were old repurposed maps for a new game mode they barely touched, and the two new maps are pretty mediocre and have been sitting around for months unfinished.

Adding a few community maps would be an easy way for Valve to round out what little unfinished content they were able to produce, but nope not a single community map. I really hope the TF2 team of 2015 does much better job then they did in 2014.

I will send an email to the TF2 team recommending they check out this map though, I really would love to see it go official.

Last edited:

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
RIP right crate. :(
That said, LEFT CRATE LIVES!!

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
So there is a crashing issue on certain configs with this latest version. I need to dig into it more, but I'm fairly certain it's related to the expensive water I put on the basement. Dx8/9 settings seem to affect it, so if you have issues in the meantime, set it to the other.

Hope to fix it asap.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Updated to fix crashing issue

Downloads in OP.

Release Candidate 4 A-
Fixed crashing bug by removing the lightmap settings I set to test and forgot about ON ONE PIPE PROP AND I SPENT ALL DAY SEARCHING FOR IT AND IT WAS SO SIMPLE HAHA KILL ME
Fixed some improperly colored signage/ glass in Blu base
Added a couple new signs in the basement
Added minor detailing to glass in front of basement drop down to point out that it is not a route
Updated the localization files