Mr. Wimples

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 27, 2010
pl_bastion_a30000.jpg

New sexy door for Bastion.

Mariner

L2: Junior Member
Jan 16, 2011
I actually have a working, half decent texture map for this thing!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20389014/travelerstexturemap.png

The layout of everything might not be "ultra-pro", but I don't have distortions at the moment, and it's my first attempt at converting something into TF2. Plus, I feel like my concentration is running out unless I can get a something placed into the map.

Still, any tips would be helpful.

skinnynerd

L2: Junior Member
Sep 17, 2010
Something doesn't look quite right about that rock. Especially if you were working from that eroded mesa photo, the rock wouldn't erode in curves like that. Also, the hills in the picture are much bigger than what you have (like 3-4 times as tall). The shadowing also looks a little weird.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
It's just a reference. The shadow is bad because there is no collision mesh in a quick compile.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
That's funny, cause the height, shape and general designs of buildings in TF2 arn't exactly realistic either. IE they are warped for the art style.

Despite the fact that i did geology at A-level and am used to studying rock formations (such an interesting life i live), i could see this in TF2 with only a reasonable amount of suspension of disbelief on my part.

Plus, from a gameplay persective, you don't want to confuse players with what is and is not a walkable surface. Rocks on a 45 degree angle of descent is one way to achieve this confusion. So some shape modifications on Rexy's part are completely understandable.

Considering A) direct affect on gameplay, B) general map size and relative prop size, and C) general aesthetics vs performance, my only complaint is that the tops appear too square.

EDIT: Oh, and it makes me want to eat some of these:
0019839_250.jpeg

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
O:

BACON FLAVORED SNACKS? Where can I get some of these.

And @ Sgt Frag, nearly all of my reference images look like that. All I'm doing is creating a stylization that's going to work as gameplay items and look interesting and similar without being so busy that they become distracting.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
That room seems very dark, I'd lighten it up a bit more. Also, rotate the wooden texture on the bottom horizontal beam at the open window.