WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Uncuepa

aa
Oct 25, 2014
Isn't that a little... small? And no cover?

It's about the size of turbines mid, and twice the size of 2forts mid. So nope.

Cover is part of the prop clutter I have to do, also feel like it needs a pipe or something through the middle. Should have a1 available later.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
C258E877D8FEC70BA7803A0EF772FFD9A097D3AB

Okay, so this is my custom skybox + the new orphaned map I've been recovering (which is almost done BTW :lol: )
I want to take this map as a chance to try out the pile of new stuff that's coming with the arctic theme pack.
Anyone want to take a guess as to what the original map was?

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Hmm, before I post any WIPs, I gotta ask: How okay is it to take the layout of an existing map that ISN'T from TF2 as a basis for a map?

Because I just had the grand old idea of taking cs_assault, tweaking it around to fit TF2's combat, and using it as the first stage of a Dustbowl-esque CP map, and have in fact mostly recreated the map by now in dev-textured boxy form.

It's not at all forbidden, but most maps from other games don't work in tf2 because they were designed around different types of gameplay. Assault might maybe work as the first half of a stage, but it might prove a bit too simple. The only way to tell how it'll play is to make it I think.

Géza!

L4: Comfortable Member
May 12, 2008
It's not at all forbidden, but most maps from other games don't work in tf2 because they were designed around different types of gameplay. Assault might maybe work as the first half of a stage, but it might prove a bit too simple. The only way to tell how it'll play is to make it I think.

I'm already thinking of additions and revisions based on TF2's gameplay, worry not!

Izotope

Sourcerer
aa
May 13, 2013
Substitute for func_rotating's stop feature which func_door_rotatings don't have.
shiptest.gif

Using two func_door_rotatings spinning in opposite directions, parenting the prop to one of them and clearing it again.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Substitute for func_rotating's stop feature which func_door_rotatings don't have.
shiptest.gif

Using two func_door_rotatings spinning in opposite directions, parenting the prop to one of them and clearing it again.

This method is even easier than that. I use it often.

Edit: Wait I missed the point of that. Not sure how well stopping/changing directions would work with this.

Last edited:

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
Remeber this guy?

2015_03_15_00009.jpg

It's back... (with a nifty spawn location change)

Oct 6, 2008
C258E877D8FEC70BA7803A0EF772FFD9A097D3AB

Okay, so this is my custom skybox + the new orphaned map I've been recovering (which is almost done BTW :lol: )
I want to take this map as a chance to try out the pile of new stuff that's coming with the arctic theme pack.
Anyone want to take a guess as to what the original map was?

Much better screenshot - I like the sky

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
AarFMA1.jpg

I wanted to keep that watery area from the original Rift, as that chokepoint was somehow one of my favorite bits of the map C:

So this is my way of trying to explain how this water is warm enough to keep you alive. (The logs will be on fire)

TyeZenneth

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2014
Rift had water?

Oct 6, 2008
Looks like you're making a curling stone

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Don't bther trying to make the water obviously warm. Snow and water CAN coexist without any gimmick!
Yes, but the gimmick exists in mid, which is a giant cracked open glacier.
But then how would I light arrows on fire?
I'm not putting that in. It really only makes sense in medieval mode.