Small test for upcoming map.
371d27a40e.jpg

bonus

leops

L1: Registered
Jun 30, 2012
Does this count as a WiP ?
ab93924549.png

Because VMF is very similar to JSON, I decided to code a parser for VMF files in JavaScript. So today the logic continuation was a VMF file viewer in JS.

Side-by-side comparison with Hammer:
dfd9452280.png

Dustbowl:
5cae6e9321.png

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Nikori Spawn Detailing
qxuRGfG.jpg

fGyWjpM.jpg

1VBdyZe.jpg

mPyd1S3.jpg

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
Because VMF is very similar to JSON, I decided to code a parser for VMF files in JavaScript. So today the logic continuation was a VMF file viewer in JS.

if you want to take advantage of json, you'll be much better served with python. might want to look into that.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
That's a funny thing to say, considering json was written specifically for javascript. That's why we don't call it pon.

To be fair, I know where you're coming from as python's json library is good stuff and python is a more maintainable language in general. But if someone's already intending to build a web app, javascript is kind of the only show in town.

Apr 14, 2013
Nikori Spawn Detailing

first screenshot looks great (possible fps issues aside).
But what exactly is it? it looks too much mixed IMO, I cant figure out what it is. Swampy house? medic's new home? halloween-themed haunted house?

I would never put an "exit" sign inside my home, for example. Nor will I put a "danger keep out" sign.
I personally don't like the fireplace smoke.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Not bad for a start, but you'd definitely be better served by something with sharper transitions and more noise so that it looks convincingly like damaged plaster where the brick meets the non-brick.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
I know TF2 isn't the same game it was in 2007, but that seems like a big departure from Valve's original design aesthetic where textures were more suggestive of detail than actually possessing it.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I feel like an overlay would work better for this, than a blend texture. You just have to scale it to match the brick. That way, you can use it on a lot of different bricks with ease.

There's already some places in TF2 (I think BBlitz uses a snow/wood thing) that does this.

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
I feel like an overlay would work better for this, than a blend texture. You just have to scale it to match the brick. That way, you can use it on a lot of different bricks with ease.

There's already some places in TF2 (I think BBlitz uses a snow/wood thing) that does this.

Its much more easier and give you more freedom, plus it give the same sorta results without having to create lots of different overlays.

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
bak you're my hero

now if only we had multiblend so we could go paint -> primer -> brick

also I agree that it shouldn't be an overlay. I really wish that red-bricks-showing-under-white-primer/paint texture had procedurally placed "details" for the red bricks instead of preset ones though -- a man can dream!!!

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Those thick corners support look super awkward on both sides

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Lighting sure looks better without the leaks. :D

I like blu spawn, the white on red spawn is a bit awkward.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
I swear I actually do work on maps still, but the progress is sooooooo slooooow.

Meanwhile another model (at least I always add tf2maps as the benefiting service provider). I try not to spam these too often, but this one I really wanted to show off. :p

This time a collab with Kanta:

Ghastly Brothers Mann

"Your boss might be dead and in hell, but that doesn't mean his ghostly spirit can't still micromanage your every move."

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=322572506