WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
pure theory. Backing up opinions with evidence is for nerds.

I strongly SUSPECT it wouldnt work- firstly because half the time in mvm is spent slowly retreating,m and that becomes a far more viable strategy on a longer map. Plus, it becomes far harder to balance walk times, since they're near enough irrelevant for one team. Plus early rounds are entirely dependent on bots being able to close the distance with players. plus a horizontally wider map is far easier for backcappers.

Listen to this guy ^

doom please, we are trying to squash creativity here. kindly step aside

Ignore this guy ^

My suggestion: While talking about the theory of if it works is great and all, Try it out! Get some friends of yours together, and host a listen server on whoever has the best internet connection. Play it, see how it feels compared to exisiting, stock, MvM maps and then decide "hey, is it really too big?", 'Am I having fun?" etc. And make sure your friends aren't afraid to tell you it sucks, and offer area's for improvement.

Deanykong

L1: Registered
Sep 29, 2012
Honest feedback is always appreciated.

I recognize the concern for the map size and I assure you I'm keeping that in mind. The mission spawn sets I'm building for the map are made specifically to try and match that dynamic (avoiding the traditional "here's some stuff to fight and here's a bunch of Scouts to make you run backwards all the time.") I want this map to seem more like a tactical game than a quick horde mode game.

As for my continued progress, unfortunately adding detail to the map is proving to be a very tedious process. This is my first foray into map making (in case it wasn't already brutally obvious) so I didn't take certain precautions during Orange phase to ensure sculpting the faces would be easy.

I'll likely try to get the map into a community test night (if MvM maps are welcome there) when it's farther along.

Tarry H Sruman

Large Orphanage Proprietor
aa
Jul 31, 2011
I got bored and made like half a TC map in an hour or two.

aTi5T.jpg

FLaZI.jpg

I call it: tc_fuckthatglasstextureishardtosee

Mar 23, 2010
my fav glass texture is blockbullets

Deanykong

L1: Registered
Sep 29, 2012
You'll want to keep the detailing to a minimum until you have really tested the map, or are very comfortable in how it plays under "real" (public) conditions.

That... That makes way too much sense. I don't know how that didn't even cross my mind. Thank you.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Is it just me, or does Source Filmmaker have a very stripped-down way of lighting models? Like, the $lightwarptexture and $halflambert that define TF2's cartoony shading style are clearly not functioning in a lot of SFM pictures and videos I've seen.

Yacan1

D I G I T A L I N F L U E N C E R
aa
Nov 7, 2010
Not actual gameplay elements.
kbaEl.jpg

DRcF9.jpg

Just a test for art deco in tf2. Thinking PLR at the moment.

Jan 8, 2011
I like the geometry of the buildings, but the grey window texture isn't great. I want to see it with real lighting!

soylent robot

L420: High Member
May 26, 2009
i approve. how possible would it be to have banknote particles that perform like the snow particles on viaduct, so you get little puffs of money rising from your footsteps as you run across the pile?

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
i approve. how possible would it be to have banknote particles that perform like the snow particles on viaduct, so you get little puffs of money rising from your footsteps as you run across the pile?

very possible, it would look like the particle effect on intel models

GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
I tought I was the only one who saw that stop-motion movie!

Vaconcovat

L3: Member
Jan 15, 2012
Why is the MvM tank in a pl map?

Also the second screenshot looks cluttered, and if that's the boundary to a gameplay area players will probably need something more than the small wooden fence to depict the boundaries of the map

Burnout6010

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 14, 2012
Why is the MvM tank in a pl map?

Also the second screenshot looks cluttered, and if that's the boundary to a gameplay area players will probably need something more than the small wooden fence to depict the boundaries of the map

Mostly testing 3D skybox, but also an easter egg because I guess if I ever try MvM maps, I will go and try to get the robots to push the cart.

Taking notes about that fence ! Thanks :)