WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Burnout6010

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 14, 2012
That second screenshot looks awful. It's so busy and prop spammy I can hardly tell whats going on.

Actually, there is absolutely nothing happening. As the player passes by that passage, before he enters a little tunnel, he sees a detailed background. This lets me concentrate the detail into certain areas instead of making detail EVERYWHERE

I should had took screens of the gameplay area, I thought showing some details would be cool :p

Any suggestions ? I replaced that tiny fence by the normal securityfence already, and have switched the environment lighting to the Coldfront one

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Burnout6010 said:
Actually, there is absolutely nothing happening.

And there's your problem. If there's nothing of interest to the player there, why is there so much propspam? Reduce the number of props heavily, or even remove that detail area since it's a1. And for Christ's sake use the viaduct snow texture, barnblitz's looks like shitsmeared snow.

Burnout6010

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 14, 2012
And there's your problem. If there's nothing of interest to the player there, why is there so much propspam? Reduce the number of props heavily, or even remove that detail area since it's a1. And for Christ's sake use the viaduct snow texture, barnblitz's looks like shitsmeared snow.

Alright, I'll take note about that snow texture
About that 2nd screen, my map is set in a CP_Well theme, the huge buildings in the background didn't give the feeling right so I added that little train station. I agree the area is quite prop spammy (dem barrels) but I still haven't defined that area finished nor good

I'll be uploading my progress in some days, then I'll finish up the game logic (spawns and Tug O' War cart) and go Alpha and create my own thread to not spam this one :)
(This is my second serious project, so excuse me for obvious errors :s)

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Wow, it looks like you just copied Barnblitz :/

GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
Could be worse. Could be desert. At least is alpine.

GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
snow is ugly and something about colorblindness
All comp players are colorblind, apparently. The only ones who aren't are me (HL Engineer) and Forbidden Donut (HL Spy), who make maps.

PlipPlop

L2: Junior Member
Nov 18, 2009
Isn't it something about FPS too? Lots of removal of various props and changing from snow to grass/dirt textures in these "pro" maps.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Snow textures generate particle effects when players run through them and, in some cases, footprint decals. I'm not sure why they couldn't just remedy that by packing modified snow VMFs into the map, but whatev.

PlipPlop

L2: Junior Member
Nov 18, 2009
It sometimes seems like most pros are running on comps that were built in '02 and haven't been upgraded since, and always use FPS configs with low-poly models, as well as sticking with CRT monitors, and cl_netgraph 3 or whatever running on screen, along with left-handed first person models.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
maybet.jpg

...Maybe.

The more time I put into this, the less I'm convinced it's a good idea.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Railings on narrow walkways like that are a huge pain in the arse for player movement. Look at Gorge as an example of where fences are used and not always in the way: Usually when there's plenty of space and if not, only on one side.

When i saw the first image it looked like a detail area, and it looks like it'd be a nice detail area. Not so sure about it as play space.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
I thought about that, but this used to be the air vent; there's really nowhere to go but straight ahead. Though players might not be so inclined to see it that way. My bigger concern is that it might prove more useful for the defending team than the attacking team, which is the exact opposite of what it's supposed to be there for. I'm not sure what I could do about that.