WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

English Mobster

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 10, 2011
I'll fix it for the next build. But I'm away from my normal computer, so for the contest, it'll have to be a pink sky. :/

It's a recolor of Gravel Pit's, and anything I put up on the top came out weird and stretched and splotchy, so I tried not to mess with any more than a simple recolor.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
welcome2ft2m

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I think if anything it just really irked me how you handled it. Flat out insulting him with "you must be color blind or have never seen a sky" is just unnecessary in my opinion. Tell him the issue, tell him why. No need to get personal with it.

I don't think anyone can afford to be that sensitive if you're going to work within an industry that improves itself upon the feedback of peers. I mean really, just look at how the majority of people react to things they don't like, games companies deal with torrents of aggressive, abusive dislikes if they so much as have a bug, which in PC gaming is more often than not.

YM's complaints were perfectly valid, so what if he was derogatory about it. That's often the difference in trained skills and/or experience; a certain lack of patience for what is otherwise quite obvious.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2011
SO I made a beginner's tutorial video today, then realized my voice is like sandpaper for the ears.

I think I'll stick to text and screenshots.

Jan 8, 2011
Double post, oh my. May as well mention that I did 3 whole minutes of work on the re-theme of my map.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Personally i believe professionalism is about attempting avoiding being derogatory, regardless of how pissed off you are. I'll grant he has a valid point. And nobody's perfect.

Yes, but funny how what you believe and the reality of life can be in stark contrast with one another. Being polite has its merits but you'll have a hard time arguing that to anyone who's actually successful in the relavent industries. No point in getting your panties in a bunch because someone said something not particularly nice. We're not 8 anymore. Or at least that's the assumption.

I don't condone fowl attitudes but when you realise there's invaluable information to be had who really cares if it was delivered by a sharp tongue. The important thing is your work and the fortune that someone bothered to critically comment on it at all.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2011
Why are you arguing?

Are you gonna get a divorce? *puppy dog eyes*

English Mobster

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 10, 2011
Hey, guys. It's seriously alright. No more arguing. :p

I come from a VERY harsh community (Selentic can back me up on this one). The WIP thread was full of models with INCREDIBLE detail, stuff that looked nearly fully polished that they still weren't happy with.
If you posted something that wasn't the same quality as the stuff they had, they would rip you to shreds, opening up your render in Photoshop and circling every little thing that was wrong and calling you a retard for not noticing yourself.
And this is actually understating them. Most of the time they'll just call it horrible and won't even tell you what is horrible about it.

The point is, I'm used to it. I've listened to YM, taken the note, and it's made me a better texturer because of it. This is my first time making a skybox for TF2, and it's good to get an opinion that tells me what I need to fix.
I'm working on an update for it now, desaturated by 50% to more closely match the existing colors within the palette and with some more blue added.