WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Jan 8, 2011
plus if you want to be literally correct, the harvest trees are maple trees while the manor trees are oak. :p

Congrats on finding what is possibly the strangest reason to use/not use a certain type of tree. Who, in the middle of a battle, is gonna look at the leaves and the tree, and say "Those are oak leaves, while that is clearly a maple tree. This mapper should be ashamed of himself."

soylent robot

L420: High Member
May 26, 2009
trying to get my gun into the game using the itemtest function in the sdk
2011-11-12_00001.jpg

well...it sort of works. i assume im skinning the weapon to an incorrectly named bone or somesuch. is this my mistake or is there something else?
(also tf2maps isnt sending me emails when threads im subscribed to get posted in, a little annoying)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Just because you say something, doesn't mean everyone knows automatically :p.

Know but grazr looking at the screenshots and seeing Manor's trees should tip him off that they're not harvest's, regardless of anything I've said, his comments still perplex me.

Agent posts pictures with manor's trees
Grazr asks why he's using harvests

These sequence of events do not perplex you?

@english mobster, yeah the skybox is what I'm talking about, it seems like you're either colour blind or have never seen the sky. :confused:

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
@english mobster, yeah the skybox is what I'm talking about, it seems like you're either colour blind or have never seen the sky. :confused:

I'm not sure if you could say that any more insultingly.

Also:
pink_sunset-4593.jpg

pink-sunset_wallpapers_8786_1024x768.jpg

4322047-high-palm-trees-over-beautiful-pink-sunset-sky.jpg

pink-sunset.jpg

pink_sunset_wallpaper-t2.jpg

Fiery_Pink_Sunset_2_Wallpaper_by_richardxthripp.jpg

Should I keep going?

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Soylent robot: don't use itemtest, it's shit as of now. Compile manually instead.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
What? Who's to say they don't fit? I'm not saying the sky texture is perfect, but if you just desaturated it a bit and maybe made it a little more blue, it could end up looking great. Also, try giving it a gradient so it goes colder towards the horizon, perhaps also add some clouds to break it up. Right now, it's too bright and blatantly pink, but keep working on it and I'm sure you can make it fit with the game.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Lets all type random shit in google images and see if there is images of it, ...yep, means it fits in a TF2 map!

Pink skies don't fit into TF2

I wasn't debating if it fit in TF2 or not. Youme was saying that clearly he had never seen the sky before. I was showing him that his interpretation of what can or cannot be "sky" is off.

Does it necessarily fit the traditional color scheme of TF2? Probably not.

Does it hurt to try new things in TF2, since a LOT of the art aspects of the game are getting stretched anyway? Definitely not.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
You see how all but one of your images has blue sky in it? the sky is pink where the sun is, but not the entire sky.

Mobster's is monotone pink, which also isn't like any you posted.

When the sky gets crazy colours in it, they're always concentrated around the sun itself, if you look 90 degrees and 180 degrees away from the sun you'll always see noticeably different colours. Not in mobster's.

I'm opposed to two things:
1) Mobster's is just monotone pink, with zero blue or variation in it anywhere.
2) That pink is artistic murder. TF2's colour palette just does not allow for such vibrant pink, it just doesn't fit with existing TF2 elements OR work well on it's own, the images are just a wash of pink.

I am not trying to say he shouldn't try out a new thing, or that he shouldn't deviate from the colour scheme of TF2. What I'm trying to say is that how he's done both of those things is really bad. the colour palette he's created is one single, vile colour, and ignoring that, the sky is super bland and not at all how the sky behaves (I mentioned the sky should be different colours in different directions already).

EDIT: Find me an un-photoshopped 360 degree image of an ENTIRELY monotone pink sky and I'll back down on that point. The second point would still remain however.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I've spent three weeks telling him not to, now he isn't you ask why he is?

you perplex me.

I posted without realising which page i was actually looking at :/ it would appear the site sent me back several pages behind the actual discussion. My bad.

Still, i advise caution as to when utilising trees within the playable space. They tend to clip with players oddly, especially when players try and rocket jump onto them. I'd recomend using stumps in the play area and trees outside of it. They raise too many questions for players when they try to interact with them.

Last edited:

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
You see how all but one of your images has blue sky in it? the sky is pink where the sun is, but not the entire sky.

Mobster's is monotone pink, which also isn't like any you posted.

When the sky gets crazy colours in it, they're always concentrated around the sun itself, if you look 90 degrees and 180 degrees away from the sun you'll always see noticeably different colours. Not in mobster's.

I'm opposed to two things:
1) Mobster's is just monotone pink, with zero blue or variation in it anywhere.
2) That pink is artistic murder. TF2's colour palette just does not allow for such vibrant pink, it just doesn't fit with existing TF2 elements OR work well on it's own, the images are just a wash of pink.

I am not trying to say he shouldn't try out a new thing, or that he shouldn't deviate from the colour scheme of TF2. What I'm trying to say is that how he's done both of those things is really bad. the colour palette he's created is one single, vile colour, and ignoring that, the sky is super bland and not at all how the sky behaves (I mentioned the sky should be different colours in different directions already).

EDIT: Find me an un-photoshopped 360 degree image of an ENTIRELY monotone pink sky and I'll back down on that point. The second point would still remain however.

It does appear to be somewhat broken up by clouds in his screenshots, but fair enough, you've made your point. It could use some blue tones introduced, and I think it is a good start on a good looking skybox. One side having the pink sunset fading away to blue skies on the other would look pretty cool.

I think if anything it just really irked me how you handled it. Flat out insulting him with "you must be color blind or have never seen a sky" is just unnecessary in my opinion. Tell him the issue, tell him why. No need to get personal with it.

edit: Hey I finally fixed my steam info in the corner there, it had been saying "last online 7 hours 1 min" for months.