Whenever I compile a map, my host_timescale is somehow forced to be higher

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

yingapoi

L1: Registered
Feb 5, 2017
As the title says, that is my current problem. I'm not sure why this is happening or what is causing this. I am somewhat new to hammer, so I may have unintentionally turned on a setting to cause this. If anyone has a possible solution please let me know. Thanks.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Your map is fullbright and you have a bad texturing job. What's the real issue?

Staff Edit: Member was warned for this post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Another Bad Pun

In the shadows, he saw four eyes lit by fire
aa
Jan 15, 2011

...maybe it was just an example map?

re: yingapoi
Are you launching the map automatically after compile? Try typing "host_timescale 1" into the developer console once it loads.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010

They said they are new to Hammer and clearly explained what the problem is they are having. These rude, unhelpful, completely unnecessary comments are way too common from you. Consider this your last warning.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
The interesting thing is that the actual variable doesn't appear to be being changed, as we see in the video at 0:17 that the host_timescale is still set to the default of 1.0 (normal speed). Either host_timescale is being changed invisibly, or the problem lies elsewhere...

Some questions/tips that may or may not help:
-Are you rebooting TF2 after each compile, or using -hijack?
-Does the problem persist in official maps, or only in your map?
-Have you tried booting up TF2 without running a Hammer compile, and then opening an official map? If this does fix the problem, does running your map cause the problem to reappear?
-Did you try checking your game files?
-Any strange compile or console errors?

Last edited:

yingapoi

Feb 5, 2017
...maybe it was just an example map?

re: yingapoi
Are you launching the map automatically after compile? Try typing "host_timescale 1" into the developer console once it loads.

Yes, it was just an example map I created very quickly. That problem happens on any map I try to compile.

Also, the odd thing is that the host_timescale is already set to 1.

Last edited:

yingapoi

Feb 5, 2017
The interesting thing is that the actual variable doesn't appear to be being changed, as we see in the video at 0:17 that the host_timescale is still set to the default of 1.0 (normal speed). Either host_timescale is being changed invisibly, or the problem lies elsewhere...

Some questions/tips that may or may not help:
-Are you rebooting TF2 after each compile, or using -hijack?
-Does the problem persist in official maps, or only in your map?
-Have you tried booting up TF2 without running a Hammer compile, and then opening an official map? If this does fix the problem, does running your map cause the problem to reappear?
-Did you try checking your game files?
-Any strange compile or console errors?

I'll try these out and let you know the results.

Results:
I reboot TF2 after each compile, and I'm not using -hijack.
The problem is persistent to only my maps, even if I load up the map straight from the console.
I've tried running an official map first before running my map and the problem appeared only when I ran my map.
I verified my game files and the problem is still there.
I used interlopers.net to check my compile log and it appears that there are no compile errors.
In console, there doesn't seem to be any errors, but it does say that there is no map config, no listenserver config, and the tf_server_identity_account_id was not set.

Last edited:

yingapoi

Feb 5, 2017
I was toying around with console settings while on my map and I found that when I turned sv_cheats to 1, the timescale issue disappeared. Does this mean anything?

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
This is getting very odd... Usually, setting sv_cheats to 0 erases the issue with host_timescale (it's a cheat command that has no effect unless sv_cheats is set to 1).

mat_phong 0

Jul 10, 2017
I don't think that this might solve the issue but check your map options and/or check for any point_servercommands

yingapoi

Feb 5, 2017
I don't think that this might solve the issue but check your map options and/or check for any point_servercommands

Ok, I'll get back to you on that.

Changing sv_allow_point_servercommand didn't do anything to the issue.

Last edited:

Simulacron

L-3: Simulated Member
aa
Feb 17, 2016
Maybe it's a broken or missing file in tf2 if it happens in every map. Check your game for missing/broken files in the preference tab. Not sure if that will fix anything but it's worth a try and it helped me multiple times when something went wrong.

yingapoi

Feb 5, 2017
Apparently, my issue has something to do with settings in my config. I sent two of my friends the map and somehow they did not experience the issue I'm having.

Gangstahwezel

Aug 22, 2015
What is your fps_max set to? if its set to unlimited and your fps gets into the 1000's on an empty map, some funky stuff starts to happen. if you limit it to 300 you won't get the issue.

yingapoi

Feb 5, 2017
What is your fps_max set to? if its set to unlimited and your fps gets into the 1000's on an empty map, some funky stuff starts to happen. if you limit it to 300 you won't get the issue.

Indeed, framerates over 1000 make the game go crazy in singleplayer for some reason. If it's actually going that high, try limiting it. Also check your config for the cvar "host_thread_mode" and try setting it to 0.

I did in fact hover around 1000 fps whenever I was on my map. Adding the fps cap stopped the problem. Thanks so much for the help!