The Gun Mettle Update is (Almost) Here!

Izotope

Sourcerer
aa
May 13, 2013
Are the weapon nerfs and buffs exclusive to the Powerhouse map?

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Wait, I thought that they banned messing with the random spreads from quickplay?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Sorry about this :p

GAME PLAY CHANGES
  • New feature : Weapon exchange and pick up. Weapons dropped by killed players can no longer be picked up for ammo. Killed players will now also drop a medium ammo box. Players that can normally equip the dropped weapon (proper class) can look at the weapon and press the 'action key' to exchange it with what they have equipped. The player's equipped weapon will be dropped on the exchange.Uuuggghhhhhhh coommoooonnnn. My action key is a horrible key to hit.
  • Inspect Target has been changed to Inspect Target or Item. While having a decorated weapon deployed with no target under the cross hair and then pressing the bound inspect key (+inspect) , an interruptible view model animation will play.*shrug* Don't even know what I have for inspect
  • Random Damage Spread is off by default (ConVar tf_damage_disablespread is set to 1).
  • Auto reload is on by default (ConVar cl_autoreload 1). Existing users will still use their currently set value. This setting can be changed under Advance Options or through the developer console.Why would they change this? What's the goal here? (also autoreload is horrible)
  • Updated various weapon descriptions to better detail the weapon's features.
  • Class and Weapon Changes

SPY
  • Spy no longer smacks himself in the face while reloading a revolver (New Spy revolver reload animation that does not block cross hair)lol
  • Changing to a new disguise while already under a disguise takes 0.5 seconds instead of the normal disguise time of 2 secondsthis is probably a really good change
  • In the disguise menu, pressing 'reload' will also toggle the disguise team.
  • While invisible, Spy receives 20% less damage from all damage sourceswhaaaaaaataaaaaat
  • While invisible, Spy has reduced timer on debuffs (fire, jarate, milk, bleed)whaaaaaaataaaaaat
  • Decreased the damage penalty on Sentries sapped by the Spy from -66% to -33% (i.e. shooting a Sentry the Spy sapped with a Revolver is now more effective)
Spy-cicle
  • Changed fire immunity for 3 seconds to fire immunity for 1 second and 7 seconds of afterburn immunity
  • Removed silent killer attributeGood change
  • Spy-cicle recharge timer can now be reduced by picking up ammo boxes
Enforcer
  • Changed +20% damage bonus while undisguised to +20% damage bonus while disguised
Big Earner
  • Added 3 second speed gain on kill
Kunai
  • Health penalty reduced from -65 to -55 (70 Health total)
  • Minimum Health gain of 75 on kill
  • Maximum overheal from Kunai increased from 195 to 210
Cloak and Dagger
  • Can now pick up ammo kits for cloak meter while visible. Previously could not pick up ammo packs for cloak. Cloak gain is at a reduced rate when compared to stock invis watch on ammo pick up
Dead Ringer
  • Triggering Feign Death instantly removes 50% cloak meterNoice
  • Changed increased drain rate to a decreased drain rate. Overall duration of invisibility is still 7 seconds when accounting for initial spend of 50 cloak meter for triggering Feign Death
  • Decreased cloak regen rate from +80% to +50%
  • When Feign Death is triggered, the Spy receives a 3 second speed boostAcceptable, getting flamed instantly again is a little unfair
  • Initial attack that triggers feign death has its damage reduced by 50%boooooo
  • Damage resistance on triggering feign death scales over time. 65% to 20% over 3 seconds
  • Feign Death stealth has no bump shimmer for 3 secondsgood change
  • 3 seconds after triggering Feign Death, the Spy is under normal invisible conditions (20% armor and shimmers if bumped or shot)
  • Can no longer pick up ammo for cloak meter while cloakedGooooood Dead Ringer spies are annoying!
ENGINEER
  • Construction boosts (wrench hits, redeploys) from multiple sources is now additive instead of multiplicative. Calculations are based around a 1x base building speed.
  • Increased base wrench construction speed on hit boost by 50%. Buildings now build 2.5x faster instead of just 2x (additive of 1.5x + base speed)Boost to solo engies, nerf to turtle swarms. Great change
  • Teleporters and Dispensers redeploy +50% faster (2.5x without wrench boost, 5.5x with wrench boost)Nice
  • Building pick up speed penalty reduced from 25% to 10%Carrying always was too slow
  • On Wrench equip change, buildings no longer self-destruct unless the building type is changed (i.e. Only Sentry explodes when switching from Wrench to Gunslinger)This.....this happened before? D:
  • Building repair costs increased from 20 metal to 33 metal to repair 100hp per wrench hit (from 5HP per metal to 3HP per metal)
  • Level 2 and Level 3 Sentries have less passive damage resistance against Heavy miniguns. Level 2 Sentry Minigun resistance changed from 20% to 15% and Level 3 Changed from 33% to 20%The fact no one even knew about this is worrying.
Gunslinger / Minisentry
  • Mini Sentries can now be repairedFUUUUUCCCKK
  • Mini Sentries can now be wrench construction boostedSHIIIIIITTTTT
  • Mini Sentry base build speed decreased. Mini Sentries that are wrench boosted build slightly faster than previously.Oh phew
  • Mini Sentries start at 50% health on construction and gain health during construction instead of starting at 100%YEEEESSSSSSSS HOLY FUCK YES> SO MUCH YES
  • Metal gibs from destroyed Mini Sentries no longer grant any metalYeah! great!
Pomson 6000
  • Uber and Cloak drain decreases over distance from target. Decreases start at 512 Hammer Units (Hu) from target and reach 0 drain at 1536Hu
Wrangler
  • Ammo and Repair given to a shielded Sentry is reduced by the strength of the shield (66% reduced) when shield is activeNice nerf to sentry nests.
  • Engineer death keeps the Wrangled sentry shielded and disabled for 3 seconds, same as when Wrangler is switched away. Previously Engineer death caused disable state for only 1 secondOh I didn't even realise. This is good. a good change. yes. more please valve
Jag
  • With the change to Base Construction boost, Jag bonus has improved. 30% increase of 1.5x makes a total of 1.95x (total of 2.95x when base speed is added)Nice
  • Added +15% swing speed.Oooh yeah
  • Added 20% repair penalty. Repairs will give up to 80hp per swing instead 100hp per swing.I can cope with this
The Short Circuit
  • Projectile destruction has been moved to alt-fire at the cost of -15 per shot. There is a 0.5s cool down between attempts and refireHAHA YES. SUCK IT DOUCHEBAGS
  • Cannot pick up buildings when the Short Circuit is deployed
Eureka Effect
  • Previous penalties have been removed and replaced with the following
  • Construction hit speed boost decreased by 50%
  • 50% less metal from pickups and dispensers
SCOUT
Baby Face's Blaster
  • Added Boost reduction on taking damage.What does this even mean? is it a nerf? a buff?
  • Increased amount of Boost lost on air jumpThis sounds like a buff, so booooo
Short Stop
  • No longer uses secondary ammo and now uses primary ammo instead
  • Healing and knockback passives are only active when weapon is deployed
Pretty Boy's Pocket Pistol
  • Passive effects on the Pretty Boy's Pocket Pistol are only in effect when the weapon is deployed
  • Removed +15 max health passiveNerf! :D
  • Added up to +3 health per hit
  • Changed damage vulnerability from +50% fire to +20% all sources while active
Fan O' War
  • Now crits whenever it would normally mini-crit
  • Reduced damage penalty from -90% to -75%
SOLDIER
Airstrike
  • Removed clipsize penaltyOk good
  • Reduced radius penalty from -15% to -10%Is this a buff or nerf? Weirdly worded?
  • Reduced damage penalty from -25% to -15%This is a buff. So that's good
  • Rocket jump blast damage reduction reduced from -25% to -15%
Equalizer and Escape Plan
  • Changed no healing penalty to 90% less healing from Medics while activeProof there is a God, and that he plays medic. PRAISE THE LAWD!!!
  • Blackbox
  • Changed +15 health on hit to +20 health on hit per attack OK
  • Changed how health on hit works for radius damage. Is now capped per attack and scales with total damage done relative to base damage.Ok...
  • i.e. doing 45 damage nets +10 health on hit as base damage is 90. Hitting 3 enemies for 45 each for a total of 135 damage only returns +20 health.OK..... Not sure how this will play out in practice.
Liberty Launcher
  • Now has +25% clip size
Battalions Backup
  • Fixed an issue that caused rocket jumps to be decreased when it was active.
DEMOMAN
Tide Turner
  • Self damage will no longer decrease charge when chargingBOOOOOOOoooooo
  • Fall damage will no longer decrease charge when chargingHISSSSSSSSSSssssss
  • Amount of charge taken away on damage when charging reduced from 3 to 1 per point of damageGET OUT OF HERE
Bootlegger / Ali Baba's Wee Booties
  • Added +10% movement speed bonus Pegleg grives a movement BONUS??
  • Changed 25 charge on charge kill to 25 charge on melee kill Don't fucking encourage them Valve come on!
The Claidheamh Mòr
  • Changed 25 charge on charge kill to 25 charge on melee kill Straight up nerf
Loch-n-Load
  • Changed +20% damage bonus to +20% damage against buildings Eeehhhhhhh
Iron Bomber
  • Removed damage penalty on self-detonate
  • Reduced radius penalty from -20% to -15%
Quickiebomb Launcher
  • Damage is now increased based on charge amount when the bomb is fired
Ullapool Caber
  • Reduced explosion base damage from 100 to 75 Good
  • Reduced damage ramp up bonus for close range attacks. Now is the same as other explosive weapons. What does this even?
PYRO
Flaregun
  • Added text to describe 100% critical hits on burning targets This isn't a nerf OR a buff!
Scorch Shot
  • Reduced damage penalty from -50% to -35% Goood
  • Now has increased knock back on burning targets Goooood
  • Increased the blast radius from flares from 92Hu to 110Hu Goooooooooood
  • Hits and explosions always minicrit burning targets Gooooooooooooooooooooood
Detonator
  • Added text to describe 100% minicrits on burning targets
  • Slightly increased blast jump height when doing a Detonator jump NOOICE
  • Increased blast radius from 92Hu to 110Hu Niiice
  • Detonated explosions now also minicrit burning targets woop woop
  • Increased damage penalty to -25% Awww but it's explosive!
  • Increased self-damage penalty from +25% to +50% Eeesh
MEDIC
Vaccinator
  • Fixed a bug that gave Vaccinator patients full crit immunity.
  • Vaccinator base resist does not grant any crit resistance.
  • Vaccinator Uber deploys now always take exactly 1 bar of Uber charge.
  • Vaccinator Uber deploys give the patient a 2.5 second bubble of 75% damage resistance of the current resist type and full crit resistance to that type. These bubbles do not disappear if the medic stops targeting the current patient. Multiple bubbles of different types can be applied to the same patient or multiple patients given the same resist uber each consuming 1 charge.
  • Vaccinator uber build now suffers the same penalties as other mediguns when it comes to multiple medics on the same target and max overhealed patients.
  • Decreased the bonus healing a Medic received for properly selecting the right damage resistance type from 25% of incoming damage to 10% of incoming damage
  • Added Penalty of 66% decreased uber build rate while healing a overhealed patient There's a lot of words here, particularly for a weapon I still don't understand. I think this is mostly nerf? I always thought the medics using the bubble thingies were a pain, so this is good
Solomn Vow
  • Added 10% attack speed penalty
SNIPER
Sydney Sleeper
  • Jarate now applies on all scoped shots, duration scales with charge duration (2 to 8 seconds) ??? It didn't before?
Bazaar Bargain
  • No longer lose heads on miss Whaaat?
  • Collecting a head requires a headshot kill and not just a headshot Snipers can collect heads?
  • Each head boosts charge rate by 25% up to 200% What is going on here?
  • Charge rate penalty changed from -20% to -50%.
  • Now requires 2 headshot kills to be back at base speed and 6 kills for 200% charge rate
Bushwacka
  • Changed penalty from +20% fire vulnerability to +20% damage vulnerability while active
HEAVY
  • Minigun damage penalty on Level 2 and Level 3 Sentries slightly decreased. Level 2 Sentry resistance changed from 20% to 15% and Level 3 changed from 33% to 20%
    You said this one already Valve
Natascha
  • Added 20% damage resistance while spun up Arrrrraaarrhhhhh
  • Stun amount now has distance falloff. Decreases starting at 512hu down to zero stun at 1536Hu Ok that's better.
Brass Beast
  • Added 20% damage resistance while spun up Boooooo already OP this one :(
Tomislav
  • Now 20% more accurate (less spread)
  • Increased spin up bonus from 10% to 20%
Family Business
  • Now has +15% increased attack speed
Warriors Spirit
  • Now has +10 health on hit
Eviction Notice
  • Now has 3 second speed boost on hit
Dalokoh's Bar
  • Now has 10 second cool down on use
  • Can now overheal up to 400hp
  • Can be thrown (alt-fire) as a small medkit for other players to use
Lunchbox items
  • Updated description to note that these items can be thrown (alt-fire) to supply players with a medkit.
MULTI-CLASS
Panic Attack
  • Base Fire rate increased (from 15% to 30%) Ok
  • Base reload speed increased (from 33% to 50%) Getting there
  • Added increased switch to speed by +50% Ok might actually be a viable choice now... maybe...

Overall a lot of welcome changes. One or two that take certain weapons/classes in the wrong direction, but a lot of good changes. Very glad to have minisentry and short circuit nerfs, plus nerfs on engie teams but buffs on solo engies. That's been handled well.
Being able to still heal (and now presumably uber) a soldier with the escape plan or equalizer is A FUCKING GODSEND. So good.

Mar 23, 2013
Is the entity-count on slowplow fixed so that it works on 32 player servers?

And YM, why the hell do you think auto-reload is horrible? O-o

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2014
Are the weapon nerfs and buffs exclusive to the Powerhouse map?

No Powerhouse is just a map, it's not something like Mannpower.

However it's going to be a 5CP style map with just 3 points, which has never been done as an official map. I don't know if there is a community map like that.

Nov 2, 2010
"New feature : Weapon exchange and pick up. Weapons dropped by killed players can no longer be picked up for ammo. Killed players will now also drop a medium ammo box. Players that can normally equip the dropped weapon (proper class) can look at the weapon and press the 'action key' to exchange it with what they have equipped. The player's equipped weapon will be dropped on the exchange."

Sounds gross. What's wrong with picking up guns for ammo instead of leaving ugly ammo kits floating everywhere? Sounds like pandering to people who just want to look cool with other people's guns.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
And YM, why the hell do you think auto-reload is horrible? O-o

I don't like auto reload either. I don't really care that it's default because most people seem to like it, but personally I can't stand the way to feels like it's taking control and agency away from you.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
The only reason not to have auto-reload on are distracting weapon viewmodels and really you should turn those off anyway

Going to stay away from first impressions and simply say congratulations to the authors of all 3 maps, and I'm glad there are gameplay changes big enough to shake up established strategies

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2010
I'm just excited to see if the Panic Attack is now useful, seeing as it was about as appealing as a head wound before.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
SCOUT
Baby Face's Blaster
  • Added Boost reduction on taking damage.What does this even mean? is it a nerf? a buff?
  • Increased amount of Boost lost on air jumpThis sounds like a buff, so booooo

Those are both nerfs actually. Boost reduction on taking damage means you get hit, you get slower. Boost lost when you jumped before was easy to replace with another quick half-aimed shot; hopefully this increase makes jumping something you have to actually consider doing.

Both well needed nerfs, Baby Face was stupid in the hands of someone who could aim.

I have auto-reload on because I have to do a lot of reloading (Force-a-Nature/Pistol Scout yo), and it gives me less to think about while I'm frantically dodging enemy fire.

I have auto-reload set differently depending on class. For most classes, I have it on, but for demo I keep it off because for some reason it gets in the way of stickybombing. I think I have it off for spy, too, so I can use the reload to fake disguises a little better. Viewmodels are off on spy, on for other classes, because of that smack-your-face thing, heh.

Oct 6, 2008
Should of had random auto disguise - if equipped, when you shoot and stop shooting you instantly disguise as something.

Wait a minute - wasn't that medic a heavy 1 second ago?

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Luckily for you guys who aren't into autoreload, the setting is staying as what you had it before, so nothing will be different.

Toomai

L3: Member
Apr 14, 2011
I'd like to see how Scouts are supposed to get the achivement for picking up dropped sandviches now, because Valve never notices these things on the first pass (Retire the Runner is a prime example, when they removed Bonk!'s post-use slowdown).

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
I'd like to see how Scouts are supposed to get the achivement for picking up dropped sandviches now, because Valve never notices these things on the first pass (Retire the Runner is a prime example, when they removed Bonk!'s post-use slowdown).

I think Valve probably prioritizes gameplay changes over achievements, and they'd choose to leave in the achievement for people who already got it rather than remove it outright.

Mar 23, 2013
Luckily for you guys who aren't into autoreload, the setting is staying as what you had it before, so nothing will be different.

But there is no downside to auto-reload. And with a toggle bind for cl_first_person_uses_world_model and cl_drawviewmodel you don't even smack your face

Last edited:

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
But there is no downside to auto-reload.

I have auto-reload set differently depending on class. For most classes, I have it on, but for demo I keep it off because for some reason it gets in the way of stickybombing. I think I have it off for spy, too, so I can use the reload to fake disguises a little better.

:zoomtool: