TF2Maps.net Major Contest #14: Connect 5: The Original TF2Maps.net Boardgame

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Berry, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Skittelz Pie

Skittelz Pie L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    hmm this board is also pretty useful for new map ideas, imo

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. G.bo

G.bo L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Seaside - Night - Jungle - Symetrical - 1 Objective under a bridge

I'm thinking about making a New Orleans map using Jungle assets, but I'm wondering if that still would count.

3. DrSquishy

DrSquishy L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'd recommend the http://swamp.tf2maps.net/ highly if you're going to make a New Orleans map

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. Heronherald

Heronherald L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Here's a little sneak peek at my map so far! I'm really enjoying this contest!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  5. HolySnickerPuffs

aa HolySnickerPuffs Bad at TF2, Loves Mapping For TF2

Positive Ratings:
    Make sure to playtest it a few times before you completely detail it! I can already see your pretty far along, but you should really iron out any kinks in the gameplay before you go any further.

6. Heronherald

Positive Ratings:
    I've been ironing out for a month or two xD

7. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    You cannot submit a map you have been working on since before the start of the contest.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Heronherald

Positive Ratings:
    I meant to say 1 month, I did start it after the post

9. Bean Bean Mr. Clean

Bean Bean Mr. Clean L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    In the google doc is says there has to be a moving train, so does it mean 1 or more or can there only be 1 train? And can you add a train anyways even if its not one of the 5 on there?

10. Izotope

aa Izotope Never releases maps

Positive Ratings:
    You can add as many as you want, but there has to be at least 1 if that's part of your 5.
    And if it's not part of your 5 you can add trains anyway, you can add anything from this, even if not required.

11. Harritron

Harritron L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Would water under a Capture Point that pushes the player into a pit count as an objective over a deathpit, as players cannot escape the water (except soldiers and demos).

12. onra77

onra77 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    When I had that problem, I just turned the water into a deadly current on my map.

13. Simulacron

Simulacron L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    It probably counts (but don't take my word on it), but I wouldn't imagine it very fun. Because the time you are in the water is lost time. It's almost like an expanded respawn timer because I will need to wait a few seconds until I'm dead and I can't do anything about it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Harritron

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, that is a problem, however, I increased the force of the tirgger_push. Also, since my map is alpine/forest and snow theme, I tried to take realism into consideration and made the water hurt the player (with doubling w forgiveness to double the damage done every half second) to prevent any possible exploiting as well as to make it harder for soldiers and demos to escape a 2nd or 3rd time (as it will deal up to 50hp/half sec of damage if necessary). So overall, it takes about 3-5 secs to fall into the pit, which isn’t that bad considering some maps have more excessive traps.

As for it counting as a deathpit, I decided to put one for my last point (As the Map is Single Stage A/D), as a just in case measure. Thanks for the feedback anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Heronherald

Positive Ratings:
    I'm working on a map for the contest with a snowy/alpine theme as well, and it also has water. The water does hurt you, but it only deals about 2 damage per second since it's main gameplay space.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Harritron

Positive Ratings:
    Could you maybe post a screenshot? I’m not sure dealing two hp of damage per second is really that deadly, but it depends on the place you put it.

17. Heronherald

Positive Ratings:
    Here's the picture. I typed in some info about health placement too, the dirt is where the water is

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Harritron

Positive Ratings:
    Can players get out of the water? Because if they can't, I would recommend you increase the damage done to about 50hp/second.

19. Heronherald

Positive Ratings:
    The pit containing the water is about 18 hammer units tall

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  20. YOYOYO

YOYOYO L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Even though its probably too late to start a new map, Looking at this contest, I thought of an idea: A multi stage map like dust bowl, but each level has a new row. Like if the map was in a kind of bio-grade science place. Maybe like Phi's reckoner.

Just... throwing it out there.