CP stoneyridge rc2

2CP A/D map in the snowy night-time theme

1. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I think we pretty much declared that THE stoney ridge of stoneyridge. The whole left side of the map kind of is, though.

It's pretty stoney.

Somewhat ridgey.

The second screenshot up there is my favorite change. That pipe replaced a big messy pile of boxes that was a pain in the ass to get up on. That streamlined it so much.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. PMAvers

PMAvers L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Personally, my favorite change was that they finally fixed the pull-cord on that one light.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. Pocket

aa Pocket When all you have is Hammer...

Positive Ratings:
    You really ought to have the handle on the outside of the door. If you're interested, Seba made a mirrored version of it that would be fitting if you want the hinges to still be on the right.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Ffffuuuuuuu

You mis-type ONE texture...

5. heyyou

heyyou L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Updated OP screens.

6. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    We keep missing getting this into the gameday, so we'll have to try a bit harder to get in one soon.

Everything has been coming together really nicely with this map though lately. Xzzy did most of his lighting pass and it looks amazing, in my opinion.

7. theharribokid

aa theharribokid

Positive Ratings:
    have you cut down on the props? last time I played this the density of detail was all too much

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    I've deleted a prop here and there when the other two aren't looking, so far no one's noticed.

There's still some clutter, which we've talked about a bit but haven't really sat down to solve. I've spent a bunch of time with the various performance tools and framerate is pretty solid so I think we're okay there.. it's just a question of deciding whether it looks right.

The hard part is I've been staring at the map so much, moving anything makes everything feel wrong.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    We got rid of quite a few props since the last test, I think all three of us have been getting rid of anything unnecessary that we see.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Doctor Paprika

Doctor Paprika L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    If you're looking for distracting props to delete, I suggest the wood palettes standing on end at B. I guess it's supposed to be like they just threw them up for temporary cover, but that's what those steel sheet and board props are for. It looks like they should fall right over.

Also, at least one of the buildings has interior duct textures as an exterior wall, and I don't really get why some of the windows have chicken wire instead of glass.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  11. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    But that's not really a problem with prop spam, is it? You just don't like the assets we chose to use? I'm not sure how we'd ever "fix" that, there's always going to be someone who thinks a poor decision was made.

I guess it's a fair argument to aim for believability, a pallet wouldn't survive a firefight, but on the other hand, it looks kind of cool. Where do you draw the line for authenticity and aesthetics?

(there's a technical reason to use pallets too: those metal panels are horribly difficult to light. there are a number on this map that I've been trying to fix for a week and they still look "off")

12. heyyou

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I've done the same. Delete, delete, delete. I've still got an eye on a few more. Most of them, as we stated early on were just space fillers for early test. They have either been replaced by brushwork or deleted (because they were neutral in test - did not affect game-play).

Map is starting to look great with the lighting in place. We're beginning the fine-tune detailing stages. Boots is working on the explosion now. Expecting to have B5 ready by this weekends test. I'll add a couple more screens of the most recent before the test.

13. heyyou

Positive Ratings:
    We will be in tomorrow's gameday test if anyone is interested in checking out the latest.

14. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
  15. heyyou

Positive Ratings:
    Hey big thanks to everyone who helped test in the last test. Really appreciate it. Added some new screens to the front page and below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  16. Pocket

aa Pocket When all you have is Hammer...

Positive Ratings:
    If you're going to show off changes to the detailing, you really should have the game on its highest settings before taking the screenshots.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
  18. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR 水素臭い

Positive Ratings:
    I don't know if I like hearing "Ding" said over and over...

But I do like the ornament hit you get about 15 seconds in.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    Watching that actually has me thinking maybe we have too many health packs available in that first area.

Granted it's only an 8 man game so maybe it's different when the server is full. I mean, the map plays well and defense rarely dominates for any length of time. But a couple scouts running around being pests with basically unlimited health seems pretty annoying.

(also: need a dispenser here!)

20. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    B looks really nice, though i think you should avoid having large health packs anywhere other than the most needy areas. Comp play would probably agree with that sentiment as i understand they aren't particular fans of the full heal.

• Thanks Thanks x 2