Steam Workshop Paid Mods

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
Yeah. I mean, there are also a lot of questions that I don't think need a response. The top one is a good example: those aren't questions, they're statements, most of them about an uncertain future. How do you reply to that? "We won't let that happen?" There's a huge amount of speculation: that free mods won't be "viable", that paid modders won't interact with free modders, that poor quality paid mods will drown out high quality paid mods more than currently, etc. The first complaint in that post is "but modding worked!" which I'd say summarizes many of the complaints and is just impossible to respond to.

The question I want answered that hasn't is how the money is split, who split it, and why. Unfortunately, since Bethesda can't/haven't represented themselves here, I bet that that's something Gabe wouldn't want to answer without getting into trouble.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Yeah. I mean, there are also a lot of questions that I don't think need a response. The top one is a good example: those aren't questions, they're statements, most of them about an uncertain future. How do you reply to that? "We won't let that happen?" There's a huge amount of speculation: that free mods won't be "viable", that paid modders won't interact with free modders, that poor quality paid mods will drown out high quality paid mods more than currently, etc. The first complaint in that post is "but modding worked!" which I'd say summarizes many of the complaints and is just impossible to respond to.

The question I want answered that hasn't is how the money is split, who split it, and why. Unfortunately, since Bethesda can't/haven't represented themselves here, I bet that that's something Gabe wouldn't want to answer without getting into trouble.

Generally the % splits aren't announced to the public for various reasons, so getting the specifics is hard.

Also in regards to questions, yes, I agree there are questions that can't be answered, thats fine. However, there are questions that are being asked and then recieve a circular answer, not actually answering the question. I'm not 100% annoyed by that, and frankly I think he's pretty brave to at least say something. His hands could be tied on that (I'd be surprised) or what, but it's not really helping quell the flames.

Last edited:

PC's_Frank

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 29, 2012
I saw him mention his liking of a donation button instead, so hopefully, they'll go with that.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
2015-04-25_22-06-48.jpg

PC's_Frank

Aug 29, 2012
The really sad thing is, he's right. If consumers continue to put money into a specific area or feature of the community, than the said feature will remain.

Honestly,
I don't know where to go from here.

Granted, this strikes me more as a miscalculation rather than outright greed, but still....

Last edited:

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
The only reason I was so upset about this whole brouhaha is the fact that valve censored backlash, even though the concept was being TESTED. Censorship, for me, is the big, red "you done fucked up now" flag. If valve hadn't done that, I would be able to understand ALL of this!

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Valve made mods paid for before they could make a map workshop

Let that sink in

PC's_Frank

Aug 29, 2012
Well, its 2:00 in the morning, the event happened a couple days ago. I'm honestly not sure whether or not I should still be angry.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
I don't get people who complain about other people complaining about having to pay for mods. Like, it's one thing to have to pay for something, but it's another to suddenly be forced to pay for something which for the past several years has been completely, 100% free.

PC's_Frank

Aug 29, 2012
Sorry about that. I wrote that last night when I was really tired and trying to make a joke.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
The whole thing is a storm in a teacup. People are just lashing out emotionally and nonsensically.

None of this was going to stop free mods. People can still release mods for free, same as always. That's not to say Valve didn't have their share of failure when implementing this:

• You can buy a mod, copy the files, then take advantage of the 24 hour refund, get your money back, and then continue using the mod
  • There's no real moderation, so people can take other people's mods, put them in the workshop for a price, and it's up to the original creator to file a takedown notice

There are some other issues, but those are the biggest IMO, and until those issues are resolved, I'd call this venture a failure.

Also, the 25%/75% split isn't new. That's the same we've always received for workshop items. It's not shocking, and it's still quite good money for content creators for the time & work involved (at least for TF2, CSGO, DOTA2).

The concept and presumed goal of giving mod makers more options -- release free, release pay-for, or even release fremium (a free version, and a more full featured pay-for version) -- was noble. The implementation was bad however. But the public reaction is just outright childish and disproportionate.

chemelia

yndersn't
aa
May 11, 2014
Again-
Censorship

I never forgive anyone for that.

Honestly, I think it's ridiculous that [REDACTED] even started to consider that [REDACTED] would be a good idea. In reality, [REDACTED] is to blame for this. I say we send an [REDACTED] to show how we feel.