Spawnroom & Intel Room Detailing Mini-Contest - Q1 2016

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
Why would you put telephones at every desk? It makes more sense to have one in the middle TBH.

It's based on the war room from Dr Strangelove.

Dr._Strangelove_-_The_War_Room.png

The phones could be rationalised as military types recieving updates from the front line, requiring a translator, or simply needing to call their superiors.

EDIT:
This higher quality photo actually shows lots of them have phones:
7563291872drstrangelove.jpg

Last edited:

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
It's based on the war room from Dr Strangelove.

Dr._Strangelove_-_The_War_Room.png

The phones could be rationalised as military types recieving updates from the front line, requiring a translator, or simply needing to call their superiors.

EDIT:
This higher quality photo actually shows lots of them have phones:
7563291872drstrangelove.jpg
Holy shit TF2 literally copied the map screens...

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
TF2's artstyle is heavily influenced by old movies and designs such as that.

Aerodynamic

L1: Registered
Jul 29, 2015
I'd imagine a room like this would be where the council makes its decisions in XCOM.

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
I like this idea, gonna enter. Though honestly I just kinda wish we'd had a normal detailing contest, rather than being limited to spawn rooms and intel places.

Regardless, I got a creative idea.

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
Oh yeah, do the map names for the contest need to have any capitalization that is in the user's name?

Shogun

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 31, 2014
IIRC capitalization in bad map names does something bad to the file/server it's played on, but don't quote me on that

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
I like this idea, gonna enter. Though honestly I just kinda wish we'd had a normal detailing contest, rather than being limited to spawn rooms and intel places.

Regardless, I got a creative idea.
Remember, a spawn room does not have to be inside, same goes for an intel room. They are just areas in which players can spawn and escape to the battlefield or grab the intel and head back to base. :) Get creative, anything is possible!

LadyRaee

CHEERFULLY SUICIDAL
Sep 1, 2012
I don't like that contest.... I love it! I have few ideas and "no height limit" is great. Also, I've a question, do we constrain players to what would be in a playable space?

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Also, I've a question, do we constrain players to what would be in a playable space?
Can you give a better example or description of this question. I'm not quite understanding what you're trying to ask exactly.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
You are not restricted to any traditional gameplay restraints, clipping isn't necessary. Make a pretty map first. If you wish to integrate gameplay mechanics into it (to use it in a future map!) then by all means, I hope to encourage that, but it's not required at all.

LadyRaee

CHEERFULLY SUICIDAL
Sep 1, 2012
I'll try to stream as much as I can too (be warned though I use unusual screen layout due to using 21:9 monitor)
Be sure to follow me on my Twitch *wink, wink; nudge, nudge*

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
I have so many ideas and I can only make 2... Im already suffering

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
21:9 or bust.

Meanwhile I'm here with a 16:10 display. Extra hight compared to 16:9 is nice though. But nothing beats 21:9. Ultrawide monitors ftw.

Well, I'll see what I can do with this. Might make it so I have a base to work with for a future project. Or not. We'll see.