snowycoast

PL snowycoast B6

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
You should make an event version of this and call it pl_snowyghost.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009

I even copied the vmf and renamed it pl_spookycoast_b1 before I realized how much work it'd be when I haven't even finished the main version yet. :p

Anyway...

------

I have a request!

In feedback, a couple of folks mentioned areas with bad FPS. If anyone who notices drops in FPS would do me a favour:

• Take a screenshot where you noticed it -- doesn't have to be a big or pretty screenshot, all I need to be able to tell is the area of the map and what direction you were looking in
  • OR ALTERNATELY just explain it here -- as above, I just need to know what section of the map and which direction you were looking in.

You don't need to do anything special, just let me know where and what direction. I want to make sure that I address the problem areas during the latest optimization passes for B4.

Thanks!

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
The custom content for this map is now available for download and/or inclusion in the Arctic Theme thinger.

promo_snowycoast_props01.jpg

http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?p=333114

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
B4 Released

Download link available in first post. Uploaded to TF2Maps server.

Another versioned release. If everything looks okay it'll be updated in the steam workshop.

This release marks the removal of the last of the Mercs vs Aliens props, but the introduction of some early cinematics to the finale.

IMGUR Album of the B3 -> B4 Iteration

Time to iterate B4: 55.1 hours (including custom content and cinematic creation)

BUG FIXES

• Lowered cart slightly so it doesn't float over tracks
  • Fixed some displacement issues in the mines
  • Fixed roof that wasn't clipped properly on 2nd point
  • Fixed incorrect playerclipping on cliffs around UFO
  • Changed rollback zone leaving 3rd from overlays to nonsolid brushwork
  • Several texture paths corrected
  • final explosion no longer gibs players (just kills)
  • Corrected quonset hut props LODs

OPTIMIZATION

• Replaced all coalmines wood_fences with their lower poly doomsday equivalent
  • Adjusted water in skybox for better reflections and less overdraw
  • Added areaportalwindows to various locations on the last point
  • Added areaportalwindows to various locations in BLU spawn
  • General brush adjustment to optimize mines -> last optimization
  • Removed excessive snow particles on last

BALANCE CHANGES

• Removed stairs facing mines at RED last to make it harder for BLU to spawncamp
  • Added stairs inside main building of last point
  • Adjusted health/ammo placement on last
  • Added more cover for RED on last
  • Improved sentry platforms on last
  • Lowered height of skybox clipping over playable areas (now "quite high" and not "super high")

AESTHETICS

• Custom soundscape (previously used viaduct + coldfront)
  • Smaller snow particles for a couple of doorways
  • large RED wall near 1st/radio tower made more interesting
  • Additional icicles to various areas
  • Early finale fx cinematic props added
  • Added danger signs to deathpit at last
  • Spaceship replaced with new model (closer influence from the Thing)
  • Adjusted pickup paint patches to be more intuitive

Sq2TYu2.jpg

---------------------------------------------

PENDING/INCOMPLETE ISSUES

• Need loading screen/photo
  • UFO cinematics, (explosions! chaos! excitement!)
  • Aesthetics pass - snow on roofs, icicles, "stain" overlays, etc
  • Shadow issue under stairs at last near RED spawn
  • Displacement seam error near RED last
  • Triggerable soundscapes to fix overlapping sounds

Last edited:

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Man I've been waiting for this for a while. This map is consistently getting more awesome.

Last edited:

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
I think this map is a strong possibility for inclusion in a future Valve campaign. Not just because it looks great, it plays very well.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
I forgot to mention, but I used the repacking tool on this version. Total size is 56 MB, as opposed to the 159 MB it would have been prior to repacking.

Thanks for the comments and interest. :)

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
Took B4 for a spin and just found one thing. Also, sorry for the 4:3 pictures, I'm having to sit on the floor of the room with my modem in it with a little 4:3 monitor just so I can get on the internet at this point.

Your inside soundscape can sometimes play if you're behind the fence here at B or underneath the ledge area.

ZDMmmus.jpg

3ti4nKR.jpg

Generally I'd say the method you're using for soundscapes is good but if you get problems like this I think you should use a triggerable soundscape just to be sure it will never happen.

Last edited:

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
You should probably go ahead and update your workshop page.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
You should probably go ahead and update your workshop page.

Yah, done. Hope the workshop behaves correctly with the updated map.

[Edit] So it notifies those who have subscribed that there's been an update, correct?

Last edited:

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Client workshop map downloads are handled via Steam. Steam only says "Downloading workshop content," but doesn't say what. There is no built-in notification system that I know of for clients. Only thing I can suggest is asking them to join a Steam group or a mailing list.

It's possible that the console will print info about an updated map if it finds one when you start TF2 but I haven't seen that yet. Apparently it checks all your subscribed workshop maps when it loads, because I get an error that it can't check a particular ID because it no longer exists, and I think I am still subscribed to it.

There is a facility to fill in a change log for maps on their workshop pages.

EDIT: I forgot about Twitter and all that. Steam lets you link to your Twitter, so you could push hard for people to follow you, maybe make some YouTube videos, and generate excitement. That'd be convenient for most folks, and you could use it to inform them of updates.

Last edited:

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014

Bringing this up again for posterity's sake because of the new blog post.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Bringing this up again for posterity's sake because of the new blog post.

I probably won't do an event version of this to be honest. I started one and it'd take a ton of work to properly convert it.

If I do a Halloween map, it'll either be one of my koth maps or a new layout. For the level of detail I want to do, it'd be almost like starting over in any case.

~(WoE)~ Tirimor

L1: Registered
Oct 7, 2015
How the fuck did Byre get third in the Mercs vs Aliens Map Contest? I played it and I really don't like it despite the unique set up of two cap points. I don't mind 2fort_Invasion, KH_Probed or PD-Watergate, but Byre for me stands out as a map I wouldn't generally play. I don't really like arena maps, as it ruins the flow of the gameplay for TF2 and just makes it feel like a copy off of Counter Strike. In all honestly, PL Snowycoast looks like a complete map that would have worked for the update and the story behind the map could have been cool as well.

For instance, we could say in this snow and blizzard tossed facility RED had found a derelict mothership in the ice, and have been working on getting it dug up to scavenge whatever technology they could find in it to use against the aliens, and BLU once this invasion is over and done with. BLU on the other hand see that the ship could just activate again in any moment and could wipe the facility off the map, so like the other times they make a bomb and plan to send it into the mother ship to destroy it and they would also destroy whatever tech RED was trying to get their hands on, keeping the Gravel War at a stalemate.

chemelia

yndersn't
aa
May 11, 2014
"How dare an arena map get a good score in the contest, I PERSONALLY don't like arena!!!"

No one's forcing you to enjoy or even play Byre.
While I agree that Snowycoast is a really cool map, it wasn't quite at this stage of development at the end of the Mercs Vs Aliens contest.

~(WoE)~ Tirimor

L1: Registered
Oct 7, 2015
I'm not saying it's a bad map, I personally just don't like Arena maps and I cringe whenever a new one is implemented. Arena just makes TF2 feel like another copy off of Counter Strike in my personal opinion. don't go off thinking this is just a one case thing, I never liked game modes where you only have one life to work with. It's why I never got really to enjoy games like counter strike or gears of war much till they added deathmatch into their gamemodes. Personally, I would like to see a Team Deathmatch mode in TF2 and I believe Watergate with it's Player Destruction gamemode is the closest we got to it so far.