snowycoast

PL snowycoast B6

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I just wanted to note that I'm happy to see you're still finishing all your contest maps, just like you were before I left. More people should finish their maps!

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
So I've got B3 packed up, but apparently HDR cubemaps eat up a TON of space.

Without cubemaps, it's compiled at 50,280 Kb.

With HDR & LDR cubemaps, it's at 111,984 Kb. 49 cubemaps placed.

With custom content & cubemaps, it's at 151,692 Kb.

The custom content jump is not a problem, I was expecting that (there's a ton of custom content in it). But 50 MB for HDR cubemaps? SHEEESH. This places it higher than any other custom map I have in my folder, including cp_snowplow.

Is that normal for HDR cubemaps? Just wondering if I should dump the HDR cubemaps for now so I have a more reasonable download.

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
For pd_watergate and its 34 default res cubemaps there is a difference of 2.7mb, so I would suppose your 50mb wouldn't be normal. Are you upping the size of the cubemap size (keyvalue in each cubemap) or have like 500 of them (lol)?

Otherwise you can check the pakfile in VIDE by opening the map and clicking Extract to extract the contents to a zip folder:

SjRRTci.png

You can find the HDR/LDR cubemap texture files generated at:
materials\maps\{{map name here}\

Maybe that will give you some more info of what's wrong.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
My HDR cubemaps show up as 1223416 each in VIDE. LDR cubemaps show up as the same size as your HDR ones, heh (76648). Triple checked, and have only 49 cubemap entities in the map.

It's got to be something in my high quality config that's overriding the size of the cubemaps, double checking that now.

[Edit] Yeah, my high quality/screenshot/HDR config has mat_envmapsize 128, compared to mat_envmapsize 0 in my "gaming" config. Will try building them at a lower size and seeing what happens.

[Edit 2] Changing mat_envmapsize to 0 and mat_envmaptgasize to 64 greatly reduced the HDR cubemap size.

Last edited:

Anreol

L2: Junior Member
Feb 21, 2015
Uh, just something.
Except sending a new reply including the changes, why don't use the main changelog of the thread?

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Because that's so mainstream. How will I maintain my rep as a hipster if I were to do that?

B3 Released

This is an "old school" release until I get a test on the tf2maps server and make sure there are no emergency issues. After that, I'll upload to the Workshop.

Download available in main post.

Models and custom content will be released once I get those organized (except the Mercs vs Aliens mothership, since that was a modification of Ronin/BANG's work).

IMGUR Album of Changes Available Here

BALANCE CHANGES

• Enlarged 2nd cap point battleground significantly
  • Adjusted placement of health/ammo near 2nd
  • Adjusted the two main sentry points near 2nd
  • Added flanking route from 1st to 2nd (opens when 1st is capped)
  • Capping 1st point adds 4 minutes (reverted from last version)
  • Widened main door at BLU's first forward spawn
  • Added secondary entrance at BLU's first forward spawn
  • Improved flanking route inside mines to 3rd cap
  • Added 2nd entrance into last to focus fighting away from RED's final spawn (opens when 3rd is capped)
  • Widened door/choke from mines to final building
  • Opened up area before final building (significantly reduced soldier's perch)
  • Adjusted cover on last RED spawn
  • Can now jump back out of the kennels-to-tunnel drop down ("skill" jump)
  • UFO now has brush work to prevent ragdolls from falling through
  • Improved clipping in various areas

AESTHETICS

• New skybox texture
  • Removed Rexy's fence (unnecessary custom prop)
  • Replaced various out-of-date Mercs vs Aliens props (mothership remains)
  • Extended out-of-bounds areas
  • Added out-of-bounds areas to various areas (there's actual coastline now!)
  • New custom cart with integrated icicles/snow to prevent issues when replaced during events (eg EotL)
  • Replaced blast door at final with appropriately labeled reskin
  • Started adding snow props
  • Fixed lighting issues in various areas
  • Added more directional signs

---------------------------------------------

cUUS5fY.jpg

r4Syi31.jpg

---------------------------------------------

PENDING/INCOMPLETE ISSUES

• RED last - remove stairs facing mines, force combat into main building at last
  • Add stairs inside main building (ctf_well's mobile staircase?)
  • RED large wall on 2nd near radio tower - replace with something more interesting
  • UFO cinematics, (explosions! chaos! excitement!)
  • Adjust water in skybox (scaling for reflections, overdraw)
  • Aesthetics pass - snow on roofs, icicles, "stain" overlays, etc
  • Particles - kennel gate forcefield
  • Particles - small version of strong snow gust for doorways/filler

Last edited:

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Would this not be a test version?

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Fair enough.

And it would probably be a good idea to keep doing old school releases, even with the workshop. The map workshop isn't fully functional yet, you can't launch workshop maps through the client, and there's no notification system for updates.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
ZKs3XOP.jpg

I thought this was a loading issue at first, but it seems like it's either an issue with my config or the bsp.

pRYvm6z.jpg

The cart is floating as it goes down this incline.

5leaRVS.jpg

I don't believe I'm supposed to be seeing this.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
I thought this was a loading issue at first, but it seems like it's either an issue with my config or the bsp.

Other two issues are just minor things that I won't worry about until B4.

First has to do with your config; you're forcing models to the lowest LOD regardless of distance. However the quonset hangar only has a shadowlod as it's still a WIP prop, which is the same as the collision mesh.... So you're seeing the collision hull.

I could recompile the hangar to get around that (and I obviously will for B4 since the prop still needs LODs), but I'm not sure it's worth iterating B3 again just for extreme frames configs. I'll have to do that for B4 it looks like though.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Have a flythrough video, foos:

Only 720p max unfortunately, I didn't really know what I was doing when exporting. Also the music doesn't really sync up well except here and there, but it'll be fine for a workshop video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 2, 2010
You know that radio mast at 0:41 with the red lights on it? Is that a custom model or is it something in the game already? It looks really cool.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
You know that radio mast at 0:41 with the red lights on it? Is that a custom model or is it something in the game already? It looks really cool.

Thanks. It's not custom. The trusses are from rd_asteroid (models/props_moonbase/moon_steelsupport01.mdl) with some HL2 /props_rooftop/ antennae and sat dishes plus a few env_sprites and a few move_ropes.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
The doors at 0:11 are doing that thing where the frame is treated as part of the door itself. Here's an extremely quick-and-dirty picture of how double doors are supposed to work:

FGMm3Sm.jpg

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
The doors at 0:11 are doing that thing where the frame is treated as part of the door itself. Here's an extremely quick-and-dirty picture of how double doors are supposed to work:

FGMm3Sm.jpg

I really have no idea how the hell I missed that, lol.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Just a quick gameday bump to say thanks very much for the feedback (no sarcasm -- I do mean the feedback.tf2maps page of course)! Unfortunately I wasn't able to join the gameday myself (was attending a friend's birthday dinner), but the demo will be invaluable when fixing things for B4. It's probably a good thing I missed it, since my own map knowledge could skew the results, and in the past rewatching the demos has been literally gold as far as revealing map problems.

In particular, looks like RED last is too hard to defend, so I'll be focusing my attention there especially.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Sneaking this in before hype for the update (and the update itself) wipes out all other thought -

WIP of the changes to B4, focusing on making last easier for RED to defend:

X2TyrSC.jpg

The stairs leading right in front of RED spawn have been killed. BLU can still get up here, but it'll be harder (either by jumpers or through a choke inside the building). A new smaller set of stairs has been added so RED can still get into their spawn easily, but it makes spawncamping far less useful.

This also has the side effect of weakening this area as a sniper line. Snipers will have to jump down to take effective shots, meaning no easy retreat from BLUs advancing through the mines flank.

NX7aChY.jpg

The top of the stairs will actually be a potential sentry location, but I don't see it as being a very effective one -- the one across from this stair (behind you from the POV of the photo) should be considerably more potent.

pNkAdWu.jpg

LLmA3pi.jpg

On last, the intended sentry areas have been widened, more ammo packs have been added, and some cover now breaks up the open ground. The second picture (with the dumptruck) shows what I'm intending to be the preferred sentry location on last.

I've also done additional optimization on last (and at BLU's first spawn), but let's face it, screenshots of that would be boring as hell.

B4 won't see a release until I can watch more data/demos from B3, but then I also have to create a better finale. That'll be quite a lot of work by itself.

Last edited: