▶Overwatch Megathread◀

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
It feels absolutely terrible to know what is happening and not being able to tell anyone.

Moonfixer

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 23, 2014
This game is shaping up to be amazing. I'm glad I pre-ordered it, my first game I ever pre-ordered in fact.

TyeZenneth

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2014

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
Oh wow thats pretty small. Resolves one worry I had though: you only need to know what six classes do at a time, rather than having to distinguish all 21.
There's (currently) no pick/ban system, and players are free to change class as much as they want (and Blizzard are actively encouraging changing classes as frequently as the situation requires).

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
well you do still need to know what they all do!! However 6 falls into the ~7 limit of things that people can keep in their active memory at once, so it's a good number.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Yeah, active memory is a good way of phrasing it - i was more concerned about a system where twelve different silhouettes round the corner and you need to identify all of them at once. It's easier to go "okay, the other team is mei, pharah, junkrat - no not junkrat, roadhog" etc etc.

And you can always press Tab to see who's there via their icons, which are all super unique. I think that becomes enabled at round start, so you can't insta counter-pick before the game starts.

Moonfixer

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 23, 2014
I have mixed feelings about them not releasing more heroes to be honest. I get that they have done tests with the heroes they have and adding new ones can throw that off. However, they can use the data they gathered and use that to help guide their thinking as to how the new characters will function. I don't know. I just thought it would be nice to see how they add new abilities to the arsenal they already have and how they interact. But with the new heroes off the table until further notice, it makes me wonder what today's event is going to be about.

TyeZenneth

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2014
And you can always press Tab to see who's there via their icons, which are all super unique. I think that becomes enabled at round start, so you can't insta counter-pick before the game starts.
What I really like is that the icons change to match what skins you have, as well, which makes identifying people with odd skins way easier.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
tumblr_o7hycrHpBc1qeiz5bo1_540.png

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I keep seeing users on the Overwatch subreddit talking about "when the game has 50/100s heroes" and this idea worries me. While Blizzard hasn't announced any additions of this magnitude, a lot of people seem to expect it (and embrace it) and I have no idea why.

DotA has over 100. LoL has a significant amount too.