▶Overwatch Megathread◀

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Trotim#2376 on EU

I keep seeing users on the Overwatch subreddit talking about "when the game has 50/100s heroes" and this idea worries me. While Blizzard hasn't announced any additions of this magnitude, a lot of people seem to expect it (and embrace it) and I have no idea why.
I hope a couple hero redesigns ala LoL will happen (Symmetra...) when the metagame has settled rather than a focus on adding more and more heroes. Thankfully there's no money incentive for Blizzard to spam them

Moonfixer

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 23, 2014
What redesigns are you expecting to happen with Symmetra?

Jethro

MUSty Complainer
Nov 2, 2009
At the absolute most, I can see the game having.... maybe six to ten new heroes a few years from now?

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
tumblr_o7invkI5qP1u3zya9o1_540.png

tumblr_o7invkI5qP1u3zya9o2_540.png

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
DotA has over 100. LoL has a significant amount too.

One thing that's also reassured me with regards to "lots and lots of classes" is - tf2 has nine classes, but way more than that in terms of loadout styles, if you get me. Soldier could be Classic Soldier, Buff Soldier, Parachute Soldier, Market Gardener Soldier, etc etc. (And they're much harder to instinctively tell apart.)

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
One thing that's also reassured me with regards to "lots and lots of classes" is - tf2 has nine classes, but way more than that in terms of loadout styles, if you get me. Soldier could be Classic Soldier, Buff Soldier, Parachute Soldier, Market Gardener Soldier, etc etc. (And they're much harder to instinctively tell apart.)

Yup! We were talking about it in chat earlier today (this morning maybe?). A lot of people who play TF2 seem concerned about learning all 21 classes. You don't really need to, you know need to know who should avoid who. Ontop of that, 21 isn't really that much compared to TF2. As you pointed out, each class has variants, and each of those variants is like a new 'class'. Overwatch is similar, but instead of 9 classes with variants, each variant is its own class. (eg: Assault, Tank, Defender, Supporter)

Moonfixer

Aug 23, 2014
Have Blizzard confirmed that new gameplay will be only new heroes, rather than new weapons/powers for existing ones?

I'm almost certain they have. I've got no source though unfortunately

TyeZenneth

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2014
They've definitely stated that there won't be weapon loadouts or alternate powers. The only thing that might happen is balance changes across the board for characters, like how Bastion lost his shield.

Moonfixer

Aug 23, 2014
They've definitely stated that there won't be weapon loadouts or alternate powers. The only thing that might happen is balance changes across the board for characters, like how Bastion lost his shield.

Yeah. However I sort of miss bastion's shield. Maybe if they made his entire back section take more damage like the small spot he has now? That way it reinforces the idea of "hey, try to get behind him" or lob grenades over the shield if he is in a corner. That's just my opinion. I only played bastion a little bit but I didn't find myself dying to him excessively.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
Bastion is an incredibly powerful offensive character and giving him strong defensive abilities would be a bad move in my opinion. Bastion dishes out so much damage, in the right spot he's almost impossible to kill. I would honestly want Bastion to be nerfed more, his sentry mode is ridiculously powerful. He can kill a fully shielded Reinhardt, the tankiest state in the game, in like 5 seconds. His damage is like Heavy's at close range, except at all ranges.

Sep 10, 2015
Bastion is an incredibly powerful offensive character and giving him strong defensive abilities would be a bad move in my opinion. Bastion dishes out so much damage, in the right spot he's almost impossible to kill. I would honestly want Bastion to be nerfed more, his sentry mode is ridiculously powerful. He can kill a fully shielded Reinhardt, the tankiest state in the game, in like 5 seconds. His damage is like Heavy's at close range, except at all ranges.

Bastion can deal a ton of damage, but he also has a ton of hard counters. Genji can destroy him, junkrat can kill him in 2 or 3 hits from out of sight, A D.VA can mitigate all his damage for a few seconds, Roadhog can hook him out of turret mode, and so can Zarya's ultimate.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
Bastion can deal a ton of damage, but he also has a ton of hard counters. Genji can destroy him, junkrat can kill him in 2 or 3 hits from out of sight, A D.VA can mitigate all his damage for a few seconds, Roadhog can hook him out of turret mode, and so can Zarya's ultimate.

And that's why most Bastions stay far away, usually with one or two teammates.