▶Overwatch Megathread◀

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
literally like half the heroes have legendaries from completely different cultures
At launch, it's not like 3-4 years after launch they're dramatically changing the classes like what happened with TF2

Many of them are also... kinda just racial stereotypes? Reaper is hispanic so gets, uh, a mariachi guitar?
Again, are the standard overwatch characters any less stereotypy?? Tracer's a cockney turned up to 11, D.Va is a korean pro gamer, The incredibly strong butch woman is...shocker, Russian!

I think as more skins are added the deviation in each character will only grow and we'll have an even broader mix of options. There are only a few of the legendary skins I think are excellent, but there are also very few I think are terrible (widowmaker's tutu), most are pretty good.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Imagine if they swapped Tracer's outfit for a suit with <MORE STEREOTYPICAL BRITISHNESS>

Umm let me stop you right there, because they took tracer's Britishness and added <MORE STEREOTYPICAL BRITISHNESS> to it
tracer-punk.JPG

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
But thats different, because it's in the same direction as her established character - and punks aren't stereotypical british in the same obvious dumb way as my example.
I'm p'sure Punk is very British. a-la Sex Pistols and The Clash
But in general I'm not a fan of the punk outfit for tracer, yes she is British but the out doesn't seem to fit her character I feel.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
I'm p'sure Punk is very British. a-la Sex Pistols and The Clash
But in general I'm not a fan of the punk outfit for tracer, yes she is British but the out doesn't seem to fit her character I feel.
thats the thing like half the legendaries dont fit the characters at all

TyeZenneth

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2014
At launch, it's not like 3-4 years after launch they're dramatically changing the classes like what happened with TF2

Again, are the standard overwatch characters any less stereotypy?? Tracer's a cockney turned up to 11, D.Va is a korean pro gamer, The incredibly strong butch woman is...shocker, Russian!

I think as more skins are added the deviation in each character will only grow and we'll have an even broader mix of options. There are only a few of the legendary skins I think are excellent, but there are also very few I think are terrible (widowmaker's tutu), most are pretty good.
Slow your roll- Widowmaker's ballet skins are great because they fit her character and are culturally appropriate.

Mar 23, 2010
peegrits#1545 - USA

Aphriza

L1: Registered
May 4, 2016
This game's stereotypes and blatant reuse of archetypes can get pretty unbearable. They could have been more original with a majority of these characters, it doesn't seem like they put much thought in to them.
I think most of the legendaries look pretty awesome, even if they do seem pretty unfitting. We do play Team Fortress 2, after all. I don't see why certain characters should be relegated to styles from their own cultures.

One of my favourites is Zayra's big winter coat. Now I can be a big strong lady without that awful haircut, scar and tatoos. (seriously blizzard whyd you fuck this up)

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
the rubberbanding in this game is infuriating, it can literally undo ults

several times i've had my rez as mercy undo during flyby resurrections that i cant exactly redo

today i lined up a deadeye on 4 people, fired the gun with animation and everything, then snapped back to lining up the shot and wasted it

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
On the topic of skins, I think Lucio's frog skins are the ugliest ones in the game. McCree has some really awesome old-timey western skins, but I barely ever play McCree.

I think my favorite skins in the game are the ones right below legendary. They usually have a cool white/black theme to them which looks clean and professional.

TyeZenneth

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2014
On the topic of skins, I think Lucio's frog skins are the ugliest ones in the game. McCree has some really awesome old-timey western skins, but I barely ever play McCree.

I think my favorite skins in the game are the ones right below legendary. They usually have a cool white/black theme to them which looks clean and professional.
Pharah's Anubis skins are culturally-accurate and really fucking cool, and they're not legendary.
How do you even fuck up like that?

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Marketing = hype?

There's a reason that Overwatch has 10 million players and battleborn has less than 10 thousand. The marketing obviously worked. Battleborn's marketing on the other hand failed to convince anyone that it's actually a different style of game to overwatch