aa
Oct 5, 2014
Welcome to Microcontest 24: Two Wishes

mc24.png

Name: Two Wishes
Difficulty: N/A
Time Limit: One Week to sign up, 24 Hours to map

Prompt:
Soon, you'll be playing the role of a Jinn, and either granting other's wishes for maps or twisting them into something unexpected. But first, you must make your own two wishes for maps! Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it...

This microcontest requires all participants to sign up before it begins. Please read these rules in their entirety before committing to participate; this is the most complicated microcontest ever attempted! If you sign up but don't participate, someone will be very sad since their wishes will not be fulfilled.

THE MAPPING PORTION OF THIS MICROCONTEST DOES NOT BEGIN UNTIL JANUARY 28TH AT 10:00 AM EST (15:00 UTC).

How this works:
  1. Fill out the form, submitting two map request to to sign up
  2. Wait for the microcontest to begin
  3. Every participant will be assigned two prompts from another participant
  4. Make a map based on the requests you receive from another participant
During signup, each participant will submit two "map requests" or "wishes" consisting of three parts: one gamemode, one description of desired gameplay elements, and one section of optional requests.

Once the microcontest begins, each participant will be assigned the prompts submitted by another participant, and must make ONE MAP that fulfills at least two of the four mode/gameplay requests across the two prompts.

YOU ARE ONLY MAKING ONE MAP.
Optional requests are optional for both the requester and the mapper.

How to deal with the prompts you receive:
You must make a map that fulfills two of the four gamemode and gameplay-related requests you receive. You may mix and match different parts of the requests you receive, twisting them into something new. For example, if I got the following two prompts:

Mode: KotH
Description: The control point is on a bridge
Optional requests:

Mode: Attack/Defense
Description: A gate opens when points are capped
Optional requests: Set in a castle

The following maps would be valid solutions to the requests:
  • A KotH map with the point on a bridge
  • An A/D map with a gate that opens when points are capped
  • A Koth map with gates that change based on who owns the point
  • An A/D map with a control point on a bridge
  • A hybrid A/D/KotH map (like Sulfur or Cable)
  • A Payload map with a checkpoint on a bridge, and a castle gate that opens when one of the points is captured
When using mismatched gamemodes and descriptions, you may freely swap out objectives to make things work. For example, if someone makes requests an intelligence room with the flag at the top of a 512hu tower, but you are doing a KotH map, you may put the KotH point at the top of the 512hu tower instead.

By popular request, here is a diagram to help you picture how to deal with the prompts you receive:

mc24_help.png

Optional requests are optional for both the requester and the mapper, and consist of things like themes and inspirations. These are entirely optional to include when submitting your prompts, but will be mandatory for whoever receives your prompts if they are going for the Bonus Stamp. If you don't make any optional requests, it will be easier for whoever gets your prompts to get the Bonus!

In addition to the assigned prompts, a list of "Late Joiner" prompts will be released with associated numbers. Grab a D6 and roll for your two prompts to join!

In the event that both of the map requests you receive are far beyond your skill level (i.e. you are requested to make either a MvM map or a TC map as your two options, and you've only ever made an Arena map) you may swap out one of your requests with one of the "Late Joiner" prompts of your choosing.

If you understand what you must do, please fill out this form to sign up:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...YhPCB1VCtwD8WtXNYzQR2Csw/viewform?usp=sf_link

Bonus Stamp:
Complete one of your prompts exactly as given, including the optional requests, without mixing or matching elements between the prompts. In the example above, the solutions would be:
  • A KotH map with the point on a bridge
  • An A/D map in a castle, with a gate that opens when points are capped
Submission Procedure:
  1. Please name your map <gamemode>_<yourname>_mc24_a1
  2. Create a download for your map in the downloads section of the site
  3. Reply to this thread with a link to your map's download page
  4. Add your map to the bot in the Discord
  5. Maps must be submitted to this thread no later than January 29th, 10:00am EST (15:00 UTC)
    • Please include which prompts you did in your post here
  6. Testing will begin shortly after the deadline, with maps being playing in submission order
Good Luck!
Special thanks to @Another Bad Pun for both the original microcontest idea, and his extensive help in make this one a reality.

Check out the Microcontest Season 3 Megathread for more info: https://tf2maps.net/threads/the-microcontest-megathread-season-3.46249/

Last edited:

Buic

Dragon Hugger
Jul 8, 2016
This one may be a bit too much for me, oh well

Tiftid

the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
aa
Sep 10, 2016
Wow, I love really elaborate microcontests like this. Come to think of it, I never got to participate in one before - I think Buddy System and BATT Builder were both before my time?
I don't think they were before I started mapping, but I do know the first microcontest I considered participating in was Water.

adam2

(no affiliation with adam1)
aa
Jan 2, 2020
Really eager to tackle this one. Hope I'm not too silly to figure out how to do everything haha, but I think this will be a lot of fun!

14bit

L14: Bit Member
aa
Oct 5, 2014

zythe_

✖ ✖ ✖
aa
Feb 20, 2018
lets goo, im very happy with the prompt i got

heres the map!
✓ - King of the Flag
✓ - Capture zones are at the opposing team's bases. (Invade CTF esce)
✓ - Set in an underground facility.

X - Payload Race
✓ - Destructible elements
X - Urban themed environment.

Last edited:

SED4906

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 29, 2020
Payload RaceThe carts end at a lower elevation than they start.There is a shrine to a fictional character you enjoy

Seacat08

L4: Comfortable Member
Jul 7, 2022
mc24.PNG

I did the 5cp,map contains deathpit, and set map in jungle with water wishes. I tried to do the 1024 underwater wish but I put a control point instead of the payloads. I hope that still counts

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
I'm about 70% done with my map, but I think I'm gonna drop out.

It's late here and I'm exhausted, but if I head to bed I'm gonna have little-to-no time to finish up before the deadline. I *would* stay up and keep mapping until it's done, but my sleep schedule is messed up as-is and I don't want to exacerbate things.

I *do* like where I'm going with this (for the most part), so I'll finish this up in a day or two. Just not before the microcontest ends.

Good luck to everyone else!

wishes_shimmy.PNG

Attachments

• ctf_snickerpuffs_mc24_a10001.jpg
    ctf_snickerpuffs_mc24_a10001.jpg
    782.4 KB · Views: 53
  • ctf_snickerpuffs_mc24_a10002.jpg
    ctf_snickerpuffs_mc24_a10002.jpg
    672.2 KB · Views: 49
  • ctf_snickerpuffs_mc24_a10004.jpg
    ctf_snickerpuffs_mc24_a10004.jpg
    689.3 KB · Views: 51

Thetriztheexistentialneko

Punk rock snep gf
aa
Jul 2, 2019
payload with da floating water blocks :)