Many brushes off-grid by a fraction of a hammer unit, how?

Sarcastic_Fantastic

L1: Registered
Oct 16, 2018
Hi there, I'm very new to mapping and currently working on my first proper map (for arena). It's been slow but steady progress with a couple hurdles but going well. Encountered an issue today though that isn't very major but very irritating, it seems a lot of my world brushes haven't perfectly snapped to the grid and are slightly off, even at the smallest distance scale of 1 hammer unit. I don't know when this happened as I didn't see it until today when my friend pointed it out to me while playtesting. Here's some images of the issue:

In-Game:
https://i.imgur.com/sAf329A.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jTF9zZX.jpg

Hammer:
https://i.imgur.com/cm5rBkF.png

I've been working in grid sizes 4-16, but even if I was moving things about at scale 1 they should still be snapped to the grid right? I don't understand how they've managed to wriggle in between, and when adjusting the brushes I get sizes like xx.5 which make all the measurements horrible. It's too late to rebuild everything now and manually snapping/adjusting each off brush to the grid would take hours. I've done the most noticeable ones but I keep finding more the more I fly about the map.

I tried the Ctrl+B "snap selection to the grid" trick after selecting the whole map but it doesn't seem to do much if anything. If anyone has any ideas of how to quickly fix it or even just information on how to avoid this happening to me again then please do share.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Do you have snap to grid enabled? Make sure it's checked under the Map menu. You can try snapping floating brushes back to the grid using the "Snap Selected to Grid Individually" option under the Tools menu or with Ctrl + Shift + B. "Snap Selected to Grid" will snap all selected objects to the grid as a single whole object, which is why it might not work if individual brushes are misaligned. If some of a brush's vertices are snapped to the grid but not all of them, select all of the vertices using the vertex tool and then use Ctrl + B, which will snap each individual selected vertex to the grid.

Also, you can get rid of the wasted space on the right side of Hammer by dragging the toolbars around, giving your grid and camera more screen real-estate. The Manifest bar can be disabled under View > Screen Elements to save even more space (as the Manifest bar is basically useless). With the Manifest bar disabled, you should be able to line up all of the right toolbars in a single column.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
happens sometimes when selecting brushes and models when the model's collision mesh isn't exactly ongrid (this is why some people put skip boxes around models)

fixed by selecting it all in vertex edit mode (making sure the verts are all selected!!!) and then doing the ctrl+b thing

Sarcastic_Fantastic

L1: Registered
Oct 16, 2018
Thanks both of you for the help. I did the select all vertices and snap method which did lock everything to the grid but not quite in the right places for a lot of things (some vertices moved up when they needed to move down and vice versa). Eventually after trying selecting different areas and the "snap selected to the grid individually", I gave up and re-did it manually. In other words by creating visgroups for the external and neutral buildings, turning them off, deleting the remaining blu side and then copying and pasting the good red side over again. Took a bit longer but at least everything is on-point now.

My only guess as to how it happened is when I originally copied the red side I must have ever so slightly rotated the entire selection by a couple degrees (as I learnt today holding shift overrides the 15 degrees rotation snap) or accidentally been holding alt (which I also learnt overrides the grid snapping). I'll be more careful with big copy-pastes next time around haha.