Hat Factory

PL Hat Factory 56

Jul 6, 2015
You are right the map is all of that. as i was building things i was just letting the building happen. i detail it up more to get people to be willing to play it. most of it i would delete in a heartbeat if needed... but that said i'm also I'm currently going thru and doing a serious polish pass... i dont know what a serious pass is really... but it feels serious. [serious face] It'll probably always be a bit of a mess but we'll see what happens..

in the mean time i made a submarine base mech for the first red base... and a giant mech hand for the 2nd blue spawn... there's a joke in there some where.

i also want to pull some length out of it.. it is pretty long.. i have some specific ideas on where to cut and bevel on the 2nd and 3rd stage... maybe 1-2k units...

in the mean time... my fave bit from the shots...

Yzzzy: That billboard is animated
Yzzzy: what even

2016-03-01_00001.jpg

2016-03-01_00002.jpg
BrMFTSKCAAANsxM.jpg
d6f.jpg

r13

Train God
Aug 30, 2010
nope... the hand specifically is sitting like that as it looked better that way than the other way up.

there is a joke, but thats not it.

r13

Train God
Aug 30, 2010
I chopped off the last stage.

bravo point got a bunch of space added to it. feels more defensible.

Polished a ton.

the end goal is now a hat vault thats in the belly of one of the giant heavys... that opens to show off a unique interior. there is 4 different interiors, it picks one at random just before it opens.

The 2nd blue spawn was polished up as a machine shop with a giant heavy hand being repaired.

red spawn has a submarine mech in it.

trimmed down the voice overs

Read the rest of this update entry...

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
The LSD tunnel hurts my eyes.

r13

Train God
Aug 30, 2010
Who even playtests this, and why are there 53 versions?

That's nice Lain, thanks for your comments. You are right on the edge of being an insulting douchebag. Thanks for reminding me what TF2maps is all about.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
that's the 3rd time you've mentioned that fact too, thanks for your consistent feedback.
Have I really mentioned it before?

Also the LSD tunnel hurts my eyes.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
That's nice Lain, thanks for your comments. You are right on the edge of being an insulting douchebag. Thanks for reminding me what TF2maps is all about.
??? I wasn't being insulting at all. I am genuinely curious as to where you're getting this tested, and why you're using the versioning scheme of versions instead of alpha/beta/rc/final.
Just asking because the map looks really nice, and i would love to play it on the tf2m servers.

Uncuepa

aa
Oct 25, 2014
Yeah, Lain's phrasing was a little ambiguous. I do appriciate the dedication to the map though, and have been watching it change over time. I just wanted to point out that some detailing is fantastic, very 60s industrial, and other parts seem barren, oddly shaped or just kinda weird and it makes for a jarring theme.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
I know that it's tested on the Penny Arcade servers since I played it there once, but nobody else does. We're used to seeing maps tested on our own servers and using the _a1, _b1, _rc1 versioning system, so seeing maps that have gone through many versions without touching our servers can be confusing, and other versioning systems even moreso.

It was a a fair question.

:T

r13

Train God
Aug 30, 2010
adjusted soundscapes.
rebuilt some of the area around the 2nd point. the intent was to enable red to fight back a bit more.
adjusted various sight lines being abused by snipers.
closed over several rooms that were never in play during play tests.
simplified the announcement system.
simplified the 2nd point as well, no more teleportation on top of the heavy's head. that was too much for some folks.
reduced the time given at the first 2 points.
removed a sub point.
added a few more crates to the last point.
simplified the texture selection of buildings. it was apparently confusing to people. seizures.

the map is now 37 megs, which is 25 megs smaller than before.

Read the rest of this update entry...