Discord

LadyRaee

CHEERFULLY SUICIDAL
Sep 1, 2012
TBH, I prefer "spacy" layout, but those tight on space can hide tabs + use "IRC" (Compact) mode + use betterdiscord's CSS theme ability for smaller font to have more displayed on same size window than steam chat

And about steam overlay, there's steam web broser available, and discord syncs everything

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Just a tip from my travels: The easiest way to help a community grow, is to make the barrier of entry as low as possible. Adding the extra barrier (no matter how small) is enough to lower retention rate and acceptance.

That being said, usability and performance should be at it's best. Steam, does not provide that compared to Discord...

BUT... Discord does make it easier to stay in a group, once you're there if you use the desktop app.

... BUT... thats just another program that people have to run in the background and boot up at launch (and I know some of you don't take care of your computers properly, so this is a notable thing!)

It goes back and forth.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Maybe we could just bug some people at Valve to make their chat system suck less?

LadyRaee

CHEERFULLY SUICIDAL
Sep 1, 2012
Maybe we could just bug some people at Valve to make their chat system suck less?
they will ship that with HL3
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA valve never does anything until it casts shadow over their wallet

Jul 6, 2015
It would actually be easy to integrate and remove the "barrier" preventing people from joining the discord should it exist.
You would only need to register an account for discord, and you can join it.

A Permanent invite link can be placed on the home page for quick and easy access, should you not want to download the program, and can use it from your browser. It would be easy to switch tabs per say from tf2maps.net to youtube tutorials over to the discord with follow up questions.

I never use the steam chat because its really akward to join it, I have to find the group on my long list of groups and then manually join the steam chat, and its normally just to toss in a map to the imp list and leave.

I never close discord as I am in alot of communities across many games and other things, and im sure its the same way for many users.
So having a discord only seems like a step in the right direction.

upload_2016-8-21_16-55-45.png

A simple note saying that you must register an account could easily be put above it.

I dont think it would exclude anyone willing to take an extra step to joining the community, and I personally think its worth the "hastle" of registering.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
I never use the steam chat because its really akward to join it, I have to find the group on my long list of groups and then manually join the steam chat, and its normally just to toss in a map to the imp list and leave.
you know you can just click Join Chat on the image you just posted, right?

like putting discord there doesnt make it any easier than the steam chat being there does already and you apprently find that a hassle

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
But...I join the chat every day through the sidebar that you posted...

theatreTECHIE

Yet another Techie for the net...
aa
Jun 19, 2015
The above link will work for the next 24 hours before I need to generate a new one
If you want a permanent link (so you can have a link on the front page), you can generate one by clicking on instant invite (the symbol on the same bar as the general chat menu), then advanced settings, changing the "expire after" dropdown to "never" and clicking "Generate".

Powerlord

L3: Member
May 8, 2010
If you want a permanent link (so you can have a link on the front page), you can generate one by clicking on instant invite (the symbol on the same bar as the general chat menu), then advanced settings, changing the "expire after" dropdown to "never" and clicking "Generate".
I've been wondering for a while how to create permanent links in Discord.

Guess I should have clicked Advanced before now.

But yeah, Discord is very popular with Twitch streamers. It's funny how I went from someone who was like "Why do I need yet another voice chat client?" to having the desktop app installed and set to auto-start in less than a month.

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
It has been around a week so I wanna open up the discussion regarding a migration over to Discord again with the new experience in mind

I've rushed over this, but here are my pros and cons;

Accessibility has made this a much better experience
The major benefit personally so far is being able to be more in touch with the community, considering i'm usually only able to be online during "off hours" when using the steam chat, but nearly anytime using discord. There's a lot of users here I struggle to talk to or interact this and the mobile experience and @ mentions has radically improved that. The major criticism here is that its a personal issue and not a justification for every user to move just to suit my personal needs, which is true, but i'm arguing that the platform's accessibility is superior to steam chat's and the benefits of that accessibility in being able to communicate to specific users.

Using a singular chat platform is much more convenient than something with a chatroom component
The chat interface is much better to me
  • I feel I can get more information much faster due to the organisation of messages and interface, however having to scroll upwards makes it more difficult when there's a large wall of text, this is a pretty big turn off
  • Previews of images and links is a huge fucking bonus to me, I dislike having to open a web browser and patiently wait for an image to download each time someone posts something they need help with when mapping or a meme
  • Being able to enter chatrooms and read context makes the flow of conversation much easier than having to hear abridged events
  • On a personal note - Going in and out multiple rooms and channels is very fluid, I feel it opens me to more communities than sticking to steam, as there's going to be more and more communities and chatrooms I want to be a part of that use discord, and having each community in one place would be more streamlined to keep track of. Communities are likely to use discord and not steam making it easy to keep it all in one place. However I think its not something that isn't easily manageable (having two chat-rooms programs open) and although a good argument for (as convenience is always good), shouldn't be a major one.
Chat ghosts and disconnects are major benefits
No more chat ghosts is a surprisingly big bonus to no longer have to deal with, as well as looking back at messages if i'd disconnected or reconnected which has always been a prevalent problem. When there's new users who don't get any responses all of a sudden, i'd wager its a pretty large discouragement and difficult to explain.

I actually dislike channels
My opinion though flipped almost entirely on text channels, I actually am unsure if I want them at all, they feel as though they're an inconvenience when used to split up topics, or as a quiet-er area because it makes the conversations more difficult to have. I may want channels if i'm wanting to talk with a few users on certain topics like programming, but that has always existed on steam (private group messaging) and its current application feels like a way to make conversation more difficult and incoherent to keep track of in multiple places under the same roof, its definitely not the major benefit I thought it would be. Maybe scenarios will change opinions.

So the cons? The major question I have is how does this help us as mappers?
This is pretty much the core of my argument against discord. Discord wont make us communicate more to each other, if people are posting memes in one chat room they're going to post memes in discord. If they're going to ignore feedback in one they'll ignore feedback in the other.
But the major one, are we sacrificing game-day/imp quality for community quality, the first being much more important?

Shift+Tab is important for receiving feedback
Shift+Tab is huge for me personally when testing a map, my map gets ran, and the next map is running, I shift+tab into the steam chat and post a message asking questions, with discord i doubt I would get as many responses due to people not wanting to close/open their program constantly. I've struggled so far with this outside of testing, and can feel it becoming an issue in the same manner for testers.

Joining/Leaving is important for imps to be visible and ease of entry
Joining/Leaving games is important, I know that we can easily get links towards major servers in chat, but people will always be more likely to join imps or gamedays if it is considerably easier and feels like a natural flow instead of forceful. Most people are only aware an imp is going on when they enter chat and see 5 big green "In TF2" icons and can check their game info to be of the server and will take their own initiative to carry out those tasks and join, but the initiative may be lost for having to load tf2maps.net or a server browser themselves and check.

In summary really

Discord's major strength is that its superior as a Chatroom, however steam's chatroom's strength lies in its contextual capability in a tf2mapping feedback loop.

The debate is more importantly if Discord will improve the map development process, as I think its role as a superior chat client is certain outside of testing, however its questionable weather it could cause a degrade in feedback quality that outweighs solving these inconveniences. I personally think that discord will make for better maps because it'll improve the quality of conversations about mapping due to the platform's superiority. The quality /during testing/ is a concern that is outweighed by the prior benefits, if it leads to people talking about their maps outside of testing more often as a result, then that'll be fantastic, and filling imps isn't something of a concern these days.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Do people do a lot of Steam Chatting during tests while they're in said tests? I always assumed they just use the in-game chat for that.

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
Do people do a lot of Steam Chatting during tests while they're in said tests? I always assumed they just use the in-game chat for that.
Indeed, chat is pretty dead while imping, only random comments when map changes