Discord

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
Do people do a lot of Steam Chatting during tests while they're in said tests? I always assumed they just use the in-game chat for that.

its easy to see an imp is going on and join it in steamchat since you can just Join Game on someone

and easy to summon an admin if people start getting rowdy cause you can just shift+tab

+ chat doesnt just die when an imp or a gameday is on, it keeps up since not everyone joins, and its nice being able to keep up with and contribute to chat while playing

Last edited:

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
I don't use the chat room while testing maps, because I want to focus on testing.

Regarding using the Steam Overlay to switch to the Steam chat room: I might have missed it, but I presume there is a good reason why you don't run TF2 in a borderless window, for example, a slow computer? When playing a game, I alt+tab to the chat room, which is a bit quicker than using the Overlay, and I can still see the game behind it.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Doesn't Discord have an option for an in-game overlay?

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
In the in-game overlay, if you select View All News, and let that page pop up, you can copy+paste the Discord chat address into the URL bar and open the chat from there. Though it's certainly a hassle, it works, and it reduces the need to alt+tab out of TF2.

Note, you may have to have an option in Steam enabled which makes URLs always visible, though I'm not sure.

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
In the in-game overlay, if you select View All News, and let that page pop up, you can copy+paste the Discord chat address into the URL bar and open the chat from there. Though it's certainly a hassle, it works, and it reduces the need to alt+tab out of TF2.

Note, you may have to have an option in Steam enabled which makes URLs always visible, though I'm not sure.

When having to summon admins though (which is super important), it's important that the initiative is super streamlined for all users, and not just those specially prepared being able to do