Competitive Matchmaking Discussion

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
  • Someone disconnects with 10 seconds to go and suddenly THE WHOLE MATCH COUNTS FOR NOTHING. Jesus this is bullshit right here. We played a great two rounds, back and forth over mid but we played better and won a good match, someone on the losing team disconnects with <10 seconds before we win and now nothing counts? UUGGHYSIFGIFGHSFGSFGYFGHSDEIKFGHSUFGS
Phi mentioned this to me and I asked Jill about it. I originally thought that Phi was talking about a bug, but then it happened to me and I see the issue. Based on what Jill told me, if I understood it correctly, it's working as intended at the moment, BUT since the low prio system and the penalty system isn't full fleshed out/tuned/balanced AND doesn't get enough time to properly sort those people out over a few-hour long stress test, you see it a lot. It's one of those things where it needs time to be sorted, and with each stress test, you miss that sorting... If I understand that all correctly.

Not trying to dispell your arguement, there might actually be a better solution (though this is how it works in DotA/CSGO, if I recall correctly), but I did want to interject this tidbit. If you have some feedback on how you might improve it, then bring it on, yo.

veng

L1: Registered
Jul 22, 2014
I enjoy the drawing. It's a neat touch. Should have an option to disable. It's nothing different to me than sprays. If everyone had their own color of ink as well i'd be fine with that.

Hipster_Duck

L2: Junior Member
Dec 20, 2015
Scribblers need to be aggressively weeded out. They ruin the drawing at the end. Lines shouldn't be anonymous so we can report scribblers and penis drawers.

I can't stress how much I agree with that, People just drawing scribbles across the screen are really annoying. But then again, I like the drawing system, when we win I always draw a heart and when we lose I always write "GG", also, I saw a bunch of people teaming and they destroyed us and at the end they all wrote a word and it came together to make a sentence (can't remember what it said).

[Opinion] If they gave the people on the teams colours (like in counter-strike) and let them draw in that colour it may solve the problem (a coloured box beside the name?). Also make it visible by the enemy for call out help (e.g if they have two soldiers and you know which colour is which soldier, purple soldier lit 101)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Once this leaves beta, if there isn't a way to prevent it from putting me in servers where some other player insists on being a medic (even though I joined and picked medic first) then I'll never be using solo play.
No
Way

Also after today's stress test this reeeaaaaaalllllyy needs a way to report abusive/rude/racist/drunk players.

Last thing from today: There needs to be some way to prevent getting a stupidly high ping server. We ended up in Tokyo and Dubai tonight and had several matches where the entire team had >200 ping (max reached was 450). That's fucking stupid, because once you join YOU CAN'T QUIT WITHOUT GETTING PENALISED. Either someone takes the abandoner tag for the team or the whole team has to stick out the match at 200+ ping.

All other concerns from before still exist. The "Round 2" banner is cool, but it doesn't do anything to fix any problem

Last edited:

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Once this leaves beta, if there isn't a way to prevent it from putting me in servers where some other player insists on being a medic (even though I joined and picked medic first) then I'll never be using solo play.
No
Way

Also after today's stress test this reeeaaaaaalllllyy needs a way to report abusive/rude/racist/drunk players.

Last thing from today: There needs to be some way to prevent getting a stupidly high ping server. We ended up in Tokyo and Dubai tonight and had several matches where the entire team had >200 ping (max reached was 450). That's fucking stupid, because once you join YOU CAN'T QUIT WITHOUT GETTING PENALISED. Either someone takes the abandoner tag for the team or the whole team has to stick out the match at 200+ ping.

All other concerns from before still exist. The "Round 2" banner is cool, but it doesn't do anything to fix any problem
This is why people were very quick to complain about some stupid decision Valve made a while back, where they removed Valve servers from the server browser and forced you to connect to them via Quickplay. I never ever connected to a Luxembourg or Stockholm server trough Quickplay, even though those were closed to me, but instead Quickplay decided it was a good idea to connect me to some Dubai server with like 2 people on it. Luckily that decision got reverted within a day, but it did show how incredibly stupid the Quickplay system is (MvM and now Matchmaking are based off of that iirc). It doesn't give one single crap about ping, like, at all, even though that should be the number one thing on the checklist when searching for servers.

leprecan

L2: Junior Member
Feb 10, 2013
No
Way

Meh, double Medic isn't bad at all, its not like people are even trying to emulate the original 6s classes in most games. Having 2 Medics each with 225 HP greatly reduces risk of dropping and doubles your Ubers. Thats how it rolled back in 8v8 from what I hear.

Edit: Just to add, while it would be nice if people would listen to requests to change class, in this environment its not going to happen. There is pretty much nothing riding on this stress test, so nobody really cares all that much.

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012

We got matched into a US Washington server the other day when 5/6 of us were EU and the 6th from the US (IIRC), and pretty much got absolutely stomped because we all had stupid ping (except for one of us) while all of the opposing team were from the US.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
UUuuuggghhh those ones suuuuccckk. It's so much faster to use the scoreboard method, which is important in a comp match

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Does it just bring up the same Report feature that's always been there, the one you used to have to hit F7 for? Because I'm curious if it actually does anything, or if the inbox just leads straight to the shredder, as it were, as it generally does for Valve things.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
Does it just bring up the same Report feature that's always been there, the one you used to have to hit F7 for? Because I'm curious if it actually does anything, or if the inbox just leads straight to the shredder, as it were, as it generally does for Valve things.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Oh god. We got stuck in an endless loop today

Someone was crashing the instant the countdown started, and they kept rejoining.
None of us could leave, we just had to wait for him to rejoin and crash again. This happened 4 times before we got through to him that he shouldn't rejoin

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
People are crashing due to the custom huds thingy leaving people in an endless loop of rejoining.

I'm also not liking the way you lose your ranking now when you lose a match. I did top notch as a Medic for 2 matches (which is a rarity) with a lot of gold medals yet I kept losing my ranking because although we did fairly well we did lose those rounds. And that class icon thingy in the top of the hud is covering the respawn timer so you really can't see at a glance how long you have to wait until you spawn again. There's a timer in the class icons now but it's like 2 pixels big or something like that.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
idk how youre having people rejoin, we're having people crash and instantly count as abandoning

(we got up to a month cooldown)

Izotope

Sourcerer
aa
May 13, 2013
Oh god. We got stuck in an endless loop today

Someone was crashing the instant the countdown started, and they kept rejoining.
None of us could leave, we just had to wait for him to rejoin and crash again. This happened 4 times before we got through to him that he shouldn't rejoin
Exact same thing happened to our opponents today, so annoying.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
You should not lose rank for a match in which you get a medal

Jesus solo matchmaking is brutal as hell for a medic.
There's only so much a good medic can do for a noobtastic team that's in shambles. and even if you get 3 gold medals for a match you lose, you lost, so you lose rank.

EEETS BEE ESSS

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
You should not lose rank for a match in which you get a medal

Jesus solo matchmaking is brutal as hell for a medic.
There's only so much a good medic can do for a noobtastic team that's in shambles. and even if you get 3 gold medals for a match you lose, you lost, so you lose rank.

EEETS BEE ESSS

... well, the first rule on Comp queueing is never solo q. Second rule is NEVER EVER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SOLO Q AS A SUPPORT... or you get your issue. Grab some friends, group up to 3-4 and communicate and you'll do better.