Competitive Matchmaking Discussion

Dec 28, 2014
I wonder if the next campaign will feature a lot of maps that are more comp focused. Some obvious choices for 5CP are Sunshine, Metalworks or Glassworks. If Valve does eventually implement highlander then Swiftwater seems like an obvious choice for Payload. For Koth maybe Coalplant or Arctic?

Apr 14, 2013
I feel like the toxicness/ meanness of some players will come in when mm is released out of beta, and ranks are used.

And that is exactly why I'm not excited at all for the competitive update at all.
There are too much raging, toxic, or vote-trigger happy players out there already. Just yesterday I was votekicked from a random pub server by some raging player, for no real reason. These people get angry at others who are better than them and dominate them, or at people from their team who are not as good as them, and just make you lose any will to continue playing- even if their anger is dedicated to another player and not you. And mind you- a random tf2 match's result has absolutely NO influence on any of the players at all- it doesn't influece stats, item drops, medals, rankings, score- it doesn't matter at all.

Those expiriences are part of the reason I don't play on random servers that often, and prefer to play on servers I know, like our servers, who are played mostly by nice people, which don't take the game too seriously.

Now think what would happen if the results of the match had some consequences. Think of those raging players, who now have a reason to be angry- the other person is destroying their team, and by that- destroying their ranks/medals/score/personal pride etc. It only gets worse if a player in their team is not a good player- he would reduce the skill level of their team, and by that, reduce the chances of them to win.

The matchmaking servers would just be full of tryhards who care about nothing other than winning, killing the enemies, and capping the points. And they would votekick, play over-agressively, curse and swear, rage, spam with their microphones, and just make you want to stop playing.

No thank you, Valve. It's not really your fault, but I'd rather stick to my regular servers.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
The matchmaking servers would just be full of tryhards who care about nothing other than winning, killing the enemies, and capping the points.

That's the entire point of competitive matchmaking: winning, killing enemies, and capping points, while having some fun doing it.

If you want to be Pootis picknick Hoovy, play pubs. If you want to play Heavy Weapons Guy, play pubs or competitive matchmaking.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
I think i'm just going to not play these modes. The reason being is that playing with randoms vs randoms is really bad, people have no respect for others because they can't be held socially accountable for their shitty behavior.

It's why I enjoy the small scale 6v6 and Highlander we get here in Australia, while it may seem that having fewer players wouldn't improve the experience, joining a game and having everyone know everyone else for the most part is very fun and nice, and gives the nice type of peer pressure to be nice and at least presentable to other people.
People in a small group can 1. be sure nobody is hacking (at least blatantly) 2. make sure that people are nice, otherwise others might not want to play with you anymore and 3. play off the enemy team's preferences, if you know a certain player loves to play a really aggressive heavy or sniper, you can punish that gameplay and predict how they are going to play, as can the enemies.
This is also why people enjoy playing in clan servers, local lans or just splitscreen games in general imo. Playing with 8 mates across 2 xboxes playing Halo 2 where some of my favorite times of my life, nights of CTF on Coagulation, perfect.

For this reason is why I find games like Counter Strike Global Offensive frustrating, because the enemy team has no social accountability to be nice, and they are out for raw points and skill ranks, they lose sight of what the game is all about: Having fun, maybe even improving yourself.
In CSGO you see people smurfing and cheating because playing normally just wasn't bringing them any fun or happiness. Every time you lose, the pressure of losing a rank you've worked so hard to attain just bears down on you.
Maybe i'm just old fashioned that way though, just playing and having fun with friends while improving my game has fueled my love for this game for the last year and a half, and maybe people need a rank to slap on their epeen to validate their time playing this game.

Also just a small note, I am not a big fan of how teams are matched in a lot of multiplayer games. People are just randomly slapped onto a server with randomly selected players, with no escape that doesn't harm them. That just doesn't seem like sound logic to me. But then again there might not be a better way.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
its def a step down for people who already play comp but for the rest of us i think its a step up and hopefully a good stepping stone

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
It will probably just spark more people hating comp because of idiots who want to cheat/smurf/troll/be dicks.
And we get enough unwarranted hate already.

leprecan

L2: Junior Member
Feb 10, 2013
As long as Valve implements some form of skill rankings then you'll likely leave the majority of the toxic players in the low rankings. Plus, I think people are overestimating how seriously people will take the rankings. Yeah, it'll be cool to rank and all, but TF2 with all weapons unlocked and no class limits is very difficult to take that seriously.

There are going to be Soda Popper-Crit a Cola-Atomizer Scouts who will bounce around the skybox one shotting your Medic. There will be Beggar's Bazooka bombs that nearly instagib around corners. There will be full Level 3 enabled Engineers with Rescue Rangers and Wranglers.

If anyone gets that mad at you for not being the best, or for not caring about your rank as much as them, just laugh. This game has so many gimmicks that they are only stressing themselves out in a ridiculous game.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
In my opinion, most of the concerns you guys have about toxic/raging/votekicking players are overstated. I've played eight matches across two of the public stress tests, and not one of the games was as bad as you think. People greeted each other after loading in, voice communication was surprisingly clean, and the worst it ever got was mild insults tossed around after an unbalanced game...which is understandable and expected, whether it's a pub or a match. I saw no votekicking or finger-pointing whatsoever.

I won't deny that there are likely to be rotten players out there, but for the time being, they do not define the matchmaking experience by any means. Even after it moves out of beta, any problems with unbalanced teams and salty players should be mitigated once everyone settles into different rankings.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
In my opinion, most of the concerns you guys have about toxic/raging/votekicking players are overstated. I've played eight matches across two of the public stress tests, and not one of the games was as bad as you think. People greeted each other after loading in, voice communication was surprisingly clean, and the worst it ever got was mild insults tossed around after an unbalanced game...which is understandable and expected, whether it's a pub or a match. I saw no votekicking or finger-pointing whatsoever.

I won't deny that there are likely to be rotten players out there, but for the time being, they do not define the matchmaking experience by any means. Even after it moves out of beta, any problems with unbalanced teams and salty players should be mitigated once everyone settles into different rankings.

I can agree with this. I've played stress-tests and non stress test. I've had my teams ass handed to us on a silver platter three times. I've had it so that I was the WORST person on my team, and rarely caught flak. I've maybe seen 1 rude person.

We'll see how things go when it moves out of beta.

Jethro

MUSty Complainer
Nov 2, 2009
Rotten players can be far and in between - but you always remember the rotten ones more than the good/okay ones.

Hipster_Duck

Dec 20, 2015
So apparently there's a stress Test on, But 0 servers?
2016-03-07_00001.jpg

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
There was a small update released just today. Maybe the searching feature was left on by accident and no servers are actually activated?

Hipster_Duck

Dec 20, 2015
Yea, that's what the group chat seem to be saying, "that it was turned on accidently". I got so hyped, I wasn't able to play the previous stress tests and I was hoping for a taste of competitive.

Hipster_Duck

Dec 20, 2015
Just an update on my previous comment, Tf2 competitive stress test seams to be up and running well.

veng

L1: Registered
Jul 22, 2014
Enjoyed it a lot. Looking forward to more, most fun i've had in tf2 in a while.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Next stress test is tonight/today:
Now I sincerely hope their item servers/tf coordinator servers can keep up. Stress test 3 was a literal disaster, or as Jill put it: Europeans 1, Matchmakers 0.