WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Any team must blow up the alien mothership in Attack/Defend gamemodes. In symmetrical gamemodes, the winning team must blow up the mothership. How it is destroyed it up to you, but we've heard Bombs, lasers, rockets and ray guns are effective. (for UFO Assets, see below)

I think snowycoast is fine. Don't know about invasion or haleharbor. If we're going to skimp on contest rules w/e, but this is like the ONLY actual "special" rule that makes this contest anything different than just 'make a map'. It's bolded in the original thread too, so it must be important. Whoever runs the contest should seriously think about how it applies to a few of the maps entered.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
82671-Ill-allow-it-Senor-Chang-commu-fErc.gif

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Oct 6, 2008
How about you use an animated model to reduce the amount of data the server has send every frame?

I'm open to all suggestions, however, I don't know how to make animated models.

Can you use propper or something else to do it? The image also has a combine powerball (prop) in it.

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
8OZzTJB.gif

H̛er͢e͟a̕notr ̵t̴ŗa͜i͡s̷s̡i҉ ̨that͟ w̸ ͢h͜ąv̡e͞ ͏inr̨c̡e͞pI̧t seeḿshe̸ ̛loca̶on conns l͏l͘ to͏w͞e̶r i̧n̶ ͞t͘hȩ ̴c͡èn͏teŕ t͞hat͡s ͘a s͡u̢i̷t́abl̴e ͝s̕nip͜ìng̡ posi͠n. ͟a̛po͝lo̕gi͏z҉e̷ f̀e͠ ̸q͠u͘ality o̡th͜pśh͏o̕t̕,̵u͢t͞ ̀s͏ e e̷ste ͞c͜a ̀w͘iţhh ̡sm͏ll̀ ̢eme͠n͝

Shogun

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 31, 2014
H̛er͢e͟a̕notr ̵t̴ŗa͜i͡s̷s̡i҉ ̨that͟ w̸ ͢h͜ąv̡e͞ ͏inr̨c̡e͞pI̧t seeḿshe̸ ̛loca̶on conns l͏l͘ to͏w͞e̶r i̧n̶ ͞t͘hȩ ̴c͡èn͏teŕ t͞hat͡s ͘a s͡u̢i̷t́abl̴e ͝s̕nip͜ìng̡ posi͠n. ͟a̛po͝lo̕gi͏z҉e̷ f̀e͠ ̸q͠u͘ality o̡th͜pśh͏o̕t̕,̵u͢t͞ ̀s͏ e e̷ste ͞c͜a ̀w͘iţhh ̡sm͏ll̀ ̢eme͠n͝

Man, I hope this "map made without Hammer" plays well enough to be worth all the cryptic hints and blurry screenshots.

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
' ^ ' this was made in hammer

the non-hammer stuff is project layercake ... which is secret ... and unrelated

Mar 23, 2013
Isn't Source entity work done clientside

not at all. I think almost all the entities are server-sided. I thinnk the short lag during round reset is because the server has to send the clients the data where all the entities are spawning. Including all decoration particles and spotlights.

And this is why you shouldn't have a lot of moving entities move simultanously. Always stop them if they aren't needed right now and if it's decoration, preffer animated props without colision over other entities

I'm open to all suggestions, however, I don't know how to make animated models.
Neither do I ^^'

Last edited:

Shogun

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 31, 2014
I probably am, but keep in mind you're an experienced mapper. Most trade maps are made by inexperienced mappers who don't know about optimization.

Anyone familiar with Pink Taco's unusual trading server might remember when someone was asked to update the trade map run in the server and make it bigger. The result was a completely unoptimized mess, I normally get 300+ fps in this game and I was getting less than 100 at all times.