WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
e0a40a1325.jpg

How much does that increase the file size of a compiled map, anyway? Depends on the size of the texture on the prop, no?

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
How much does that increase the file size of a compiled map, anyway? Depends on the size of the texture on the prop, no?

I don't think they do. Checking GCFScape seems to show that the texels' filesize is directly proportional to their scale in Hammer. Those metal sheets are at 256x256 in that screenshot, so they cost 512.5kb (also adds .5kb randomly I guess). But yeah, pretty expensive.

83da0bdf80.png

Props that have hard shadow transitions really just beg for some lightmap love though.

02cccaaa99.jpg

7ca802ae8f.jpg

Last edited:

ProselyteCanti

L2: Junior Member
Mar 27, 2014
BLebxsF.jpg

SH5SMi0.jpg

8PotEPz.jpg

BEhvmFB.jpg

Not sure what this map is going to be exactly. I've taken a lot of inspiration from blahhh. Can't exactly say that's a good or bad thing. Also finally found a texture pack from LSD : Dream Emulator.

ProselyteCanti

Mar 27, 2014
I swear to piss I've never taken a hallucinogen.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Spacek531: placing intel behind the spawns is generally considered a bad idea, since it means you have to go through the spawn to get to the flag.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
This is not the most exciting thing to show off, but I think a project like this has been long overdue. I'm tired of using brushwork supports that are boring and add t-junctions to everything they touch, so I'm making higher detail modular model versions:

cf3bQam.jpg

wdbuOGh.jpg

H1U5vZa.jpg

PHKHWjA.jpg

They'll all have little details like chips, cracks, brackets, bolts, nails, etc and be in 4 skins that match some of the current fav wood textures. Making these for pl_snowycoast, but when I'm done I'll release them all. Not super rushed about it, though, just going to pick at these inbetween other projects.

Right now I only have 5 "characterful" single posts, x3 64 HU long frames, and x3 128 HU long frames. These are all only 128 HU tall atm. My plans are to make 168 HU, 192 HU, and 256 HU tall ones, as well as some variety pieces.

Last edited:

Shogun

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 31, 2014
My project for the Detailing contest. Still needs lighting and more detailing

snip

What detailing contest? I didn't know there was one going on right now.

EDIT: I see it on the homepage now. Cool, I'll probably join this.

Last edited:

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
This is not the most exciting thing to show off, but I think a project like this has been long overdue. I'm tired of using brushwork supports that are boring and add t-junctions to everything they touch, so I'm making higher detail modular model versions:

<snip>

They'll all have little details like chips, cracks, brackets, bolts, nails, etc and be in 4 skins that match some of the current fav wood textures. Making these for pl_snowycoast, but when I'm done I'll release them all. Not super rushed about it, though, just going to pick at these inbetween other projects.

Right now I only have 5 "characterful" single posts, x3 64 HU long frames, and x3 128 HU long frames. These are all only 128 HU tall atm. My plans are to make 168 HU, 192 HU, and 256 HU tall ones, as well as some variety pieces.

All of my love. Take it.

Oct 6, 2008
More experimentaion going on:

These rings rotate nicely using motors but is there any way that I can parent them so they can follow a fun_tracktrain :confused:
RotationBall.jpg

I`ve made some bubble stations but not sure how to light them - anyone have experience doing these types of things:

bubbletest0001.jpg

Inqwel

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 2, 2008
2014-11-12_00006_zps7a555e6e.jpg

I am aware that the room looks dark, the metal vent needs a light info, among other things, but I am showing off the detailing so far of Ironside's First Blu spawn.

ProselyteCanti

Mar 27, 2014
B4fkzqI.png

this is the first legit experimental map I've worked on but its also the most fun I've ever worked on but also the most scary and in general jesus christ what the fuck am i even doing

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
B4fkzqI.png

this is the first legit experimental map I've worked on but its also the most fun I've ever worked on but also the most scary and in general jesus christ what the fuck am i even doing

everything about this scares me, even the position of the taskbar

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
MVA Showcase

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w6zkvkmni9uwt1v/Showcase_01.mp4?dl=0

Map showcase is going really good so far, all thoughts appreciated. Kalamity is going to get re-recorded thanks to the stupid black box, and obviously better quality in final render.

Also, I hate to be that guy, but snowycoast and invasion have Motherships that take damage but not explode, and haleharbor doesn't have a mothership that takes damage.

I'm not even going to have an opinion, I just don't wanna get those maps edited into the video and have them dq'd later.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Also, I hate to be that guy, but snowycoast and invasion have Motherships that take damage but not explode, and haleharbor doesn't have a mothership that takes damage.

I'm confident that "dropping a payload-sized bomb through an open hatch that makes an explosion so powerful it shoots green flames through the center dome of the ship a few seconds later" counts as "an explosion that destroys the mothership."

Don't blame the entrants (or the model makers) for not having map-based explosion animations on the motherships. :p