WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
Manoman: I love the vibe that map gives off. It looks like a scorching hot desert. Can't wait to see what it turns into!

And Aly: That looks really nice as well. Granary theme is the most underrated of them all.

And to everyone else: It's nice to see all this progress on the work-in-progress thread!

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
Screenshot%202014-10-13%2019.16.16.png

Screenshot%202014-10-13%2019.17.02.png

Screenshot%202014-10-13%2019.16.37.png

Trying new style.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
The blue building looks pretty good, but the white one is 100% unnatural. It looks like someone painted bricks on on a blue structure and the paint wore off.

If you're going to go for that look, I would suggest using GIS to research how paint wears on buildings and try to emulate that. I think you have a nice idea, it just needs some proper application.

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
The blue building looks pretty good, but the white one is 100% unnatural. It looks like someone painted bricks on on a blue structure and the paint wore off.

If you're going to go for that look, I would suggest using GIS to research how paint wears on buildings and try to emulate that. I think you have a nice idea, it just needs some proper application.

I have done tons research and have been to places to, and it is 100% realistic to the location. It a form of paint erosion where certain paints act differently to different situations, also the fact its on a port would mean there would a a strong wind and water vapor being in the air so the paint would ware of quicker, the fact the wall is white means that the paint was applied in a rush matter giving more of a back story into the environment.

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
I have done tons research and have been to places to, and it is 100% realistic to the location. It a form of paint erosion where certain paints act differently to different situations, also the fact its on a port would mean there would a a strong wind and water vapor being in the air so the paint would ware of quicker, the fact the wall is white means that the paint was applied in a rush matter giving more of a back story into the environment.

Can I get that texture at some point bak? Or is it in hammer already?

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
You're certainly free to do whatever you think is best.

I'm giving feedback based on the eyes of a layman.. 99% of people playing the map won't do any research before making a judgement. Generally people have a mental image for how something "should" look and will base their impressions off that. Anything outside that comfort zone will have them thinking "this looks weird."

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
You're certainly free to do whatever you think is best.

I'm giving feedback based on the eyes of a layman.. 99% of people playing the map won't do any research before making a judgement. Generally people have a mental image for how something "should" look and will base their impressions off that. Anything outside that comfort zone will have them thinking "this looks weird."

That could be said for every map.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
And your point is?

It's feedback, take it or leave it. I'm not trying to change your mind I'm just trying to offer a perspective you may not have considered. If you don't want feedback that's fine too, I certainly won't bother typing it up any more.

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
Rather than getting all confrontational, I'd like to point out higher up details tend to be ignored anyway and in Valve maps they frequently get away with absurd texture effects. Slightly off brick patterns are nothing compared to 5 identical texture holes seen throughout Badwater et al. Those who see it will be impressed and will not know anything is technically strange.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Realism aside, it's super noisy for an area that doesn't need looking at. I'd keep it lower to the ground.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010

First, idolon is right. The texturing the way you have it is too noisy and it's too high up foray detailing. You're trying too hard to make the theme work, loosen up with it a bit.

****WARNING, science content****
Secondly, while I do believe you did your research and I do agree it is a weird form of erosion, IF it was salt water in the air and was being blown by the wind, then you'd see the original paint around things that would block wind. That is, it would be more around the windows, but mostly on one side (the one opposite the direction of the wind.)

Conversely, if the wind was in the direction of the face of the wind, then the erosion would be far more even than you have now, with the original paint being heavy I between the windows, because the wind would be stronger along the edges of windows. But when I say window I mean basically anything not generally flush with the wall.

Tldr: what idolon said. And it's too noisey for tf2

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
the only problem is that you're eroding to highly saturated blue bricks which nearly nobody uses in trivial constructions. 90% of blue brick buildings even then are painted or have highly desaturated bricks. it's just a very unnatural thing for white primer or paint to give way to blue bricks.

that said, the only unnatural thing about the erosion itself is how unnaturally painted-on it is.

http://photoblog.racheldale.com/wp-content/uploads/dsc_0049_nyc_brickpaintedsign.jpg
paint fading off of brick has a lot of local stuff and a lot less large scale variation.
http://www.masonryofdenver.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/flaking-paint.jpg
depending on the paint, the paint itself can start chipping up first.
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/imagesvr_ce/stories/bitmaps/2006/14298/brick.jpg
the brick near/under/around details is shielded from the elements more than others.
http://www.thedesertecho.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/old-brick-wall-writing-paint-fading.jpg
most of the large-scale variation tends to be like this, horizontal stripes of gentle vertical variation.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2234/2328419592_fac6af5fbc.jpg
NOISY.

Last edited:

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
More progress

2014-10-14_00005.jpg

2014-10-14_00006.jpg

2014-10-14_00008.jpg

2014-10-14_00009.jpg

Still working on this area, had to stop to go to bed, so it's half done instead of 95% like the other areas. Needs clutter, lighting, etc.

2014-10-14_00007.jpg

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Lookin good. It's got a nice vintage TF2 look to it.

One curiosity I noticed is that raised platform on the left in the third screenshot.. the vertical beams and the horizontal bracing under the platform don't seem to be casting shadows on the displacement. Are they a func_brush or something with shadows off?

I don't think it's a problem, I'm just curious what's going on there.

In that last shot I'd probably shift the brick texture along the X a bit, to get the dark patch off the pillars. I know that's super nitpicky but it really highlights the tiling of the texture in a not so good way.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
They're just func_details, I suspect it may be a combination of the size of the displacement with it's low res lightmap and the fact that it's not final lighting

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
Quick critique on Aly's pics:

First: Combine harvester is sticking into the ground ever so slightly. It's possible that you want to make it look like it got stuck and abandoned, but given the very minimal weight you could put on that tiny wheel it's kind of unlikely. Otherwise still looks great!

Second: I don't think that needs more than just one of TF2's lovely detailing posters. Very nice without going overboard.

Third: Apart from the platform already pointed out, the other thing that I noticed is how tall the building on the right is. I think maybe I'm subconsciously considering that a metal shack wouldn't be able to support that structure, or maybe how the building doesn't change much in the bottom two thirds - that it just extends to the ground. It's possible extending the concrete base to the other walls (which makes more sense) and addition of more detail to break up the wall will be enough.

Fourth: The entire reason I made this post. This room is perfect for it's function. Minimal clutter because it just isn't needed, lighting cues are just Right and the train and tracks bring a fresh look to a spawn room. A*.

Fifth: I know you aren't finished, but I'm not convinced by the brick pillars having slightly less of a concrete base than the others. That might be something that Valve has done in the past, but to me it doesn't make technical sense.