WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

TyeZenneth

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2014
It would look better as two iron girders with a bit of sheet metal laying on top.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
In the interests of simplicity, cutting the thickness in half and adding some trim along the edges would probably be sufficient. Caution tape might work but may be too noisy, maybe just one of the i-beam textures would be fine.

Adding lumps just gives more things to bonk your head on underneath the platform, which may be important because there's a health kit down there so it's going to see a lot of traffic.

Switching from the displacements to the fence is a huge improvement though, it makes the whole area feel more open without actually changing the play space. Plus it gives you more terrain to go nuts with detailing. :O

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
BsqUlTSCUAAe2op.png

i am so cool

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
You must release.

First compile:

2014-07-16_00001.jpg

Lots of lighting tweaking to do...Wish there was a real time preview :(

Last edited:

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
You must release.

First compile:

2014-07-16_00001.jpg

Lots of lighting tweaking to do...Wish there was a real time preview :(

Looks good. I like the foliage use. I think you went a bit overboard with the sprite glow effects, though. Makes it look very busy.

That might be part of the tweaking, though.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
The double spotlights on the fluorescent lamps in particular looks a bit goofy.

Those types of lights don't really need halos, I think they work better if you only treat them as a "light justification" prop. Meaning if you have a light_spotlight illuminating a space and you want to create a reason for light to be there, drop in a fluorescent lamp.

I'm not sure about the railing either, it definitely looks really nice, but I can imagine being annoyed getting tripped up on it in a firefight. Maybe player clips could fix that?

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I dun did a thing.

cubemap1.jpg

This means when pasting/placing using the entity tool, the cubemap will automatically be positioned 64 units off the ground, thanks to the bounding box of the model.
It also replaces the cubemap entity with a fancy model!

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
No, the model is only reffered to in the FGD. Pakrat doesn't try to pack Boojum's custom engineer model for the player teamspawn, does it? :)

Anyway, here's the download link. It needs you to install the entry into the FGD manually (just copy and paste it into the bottom). The rest is just installing a model normally. Wont affect the positioning of any existing cubemaps (The model is just a sphere at the same place as the normal ent, but with a bounding box of -64), so existing ents are unaffected.

EDIT: Apparently there's a better way than adding a model, by just adding this to your FGD:

@PointClass color(0 0 255) size(-1 -1 -64, 1 1 -8) sidelist(sides) iconsprite("editor/env_cubemap.vmt") = env_cubemap :
"An entity that creates a sample point for the Cubic Environment Map."
[
cubemapsize(choices) : "Cubemap Size" : 0 =
[
0 : "Default"
1 : "1x1"
2 : "2x2"
3 : "4x4"
4 : "8x8"
5 : "16x16"
6 : "32x32"
7 : "64x64"
8 : "128x128"
9 : "256x256"
]
sides(sidelist) : "Brush faces": : "(Optional) Brushes faces to directly attach to the env_cubemap. Press Pick then click on faces in the 3D View to select them. Use CTRL while clicking to add or remove from the selection."
]

Which will result in
cubemap.JPG

So use whichever method you wish I guess

Last edited:

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
I usually just put mine right on top of the ground brushwork, then once I'm done placing them: Map > Entity Report > By Class - env_cubemap, select all of them, cntrl-M, move them 64 units on the Z axis. Sounds like a lot of steps, but it's really fast to do.

Also, new workshoppy thing I finished:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=287107312

Unfortunately, looks like this one is a dud (no pun intended) since it's getting hit pretty hard in the ratings, heh.

Mar 23, 2010
are those cannons coming out of the rock in the first screenshot? they look very frightening