WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Arhurt, Aug 28, 2008.

1. shadowslasher11

aa shadowslasher11

Positive Ratings:
    The cover area is probably going to go unchanged for the reason of it being more aimed for a sentry spot, but I could probably adjust it for slightly small amounts of cover.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    It could still be a viable sentry spot with the cover. If anything, that cover makes it easier for an engie to set up shop there. Won't know until you try.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Inqwel

Inqwel L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Too cluttered? Lets not add more then:

[​IMG]

Drop the point to where the blue box is.
    I'd keep the ramp up to where the white box is, this will cover it from the 3 areas (marked with white x's)
    EDIT: Add a taller* rock to where the red blob is (and that should prevent sniper line from red x)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  4. shadowslasher11

aa shadowslasher11

Positive Ratings:
    Ya...not doing that, taller rock I can do, control point I won't.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Inqwel

Inqwel L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well, you specified that you didn't want to clutter up the area, so I changed/removed things instead of adding more. So, whatever.

Otherwise, I'd make that bridge, capture point have a roof over it - having wall supports for the roof be where those rocks are to help against sight lines.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  6. littleedge

aa littleedge L1111: Clipping Guru

Positive Ratings:
    Taller rocks. And from the looks of thing, you could just raise the current rocks up from the ground. Also, add a platform outside that door like Frozen suggested. It's always annoying to open a door and immediately drop outside it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Nerdbot

Nerdbot L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

started work on a contest entry

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Harribo

aa Harribo

Positive Ratings:
    @Nerdbot
    I know you have just started working on it but the amount of flat open plain space frightens me. I'd suggest not using props to define a playing space too but people do that all the time so take my advice with a grain of salt perhaps

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Nerdbot

Nerdbot L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Don't worry I know what I'm doing!!! I'm using Nightfall Stage 2's intersection as a point of reference; the center area you see in the above screenshot is roughly the same size, just nothing to break sightlines up just yet (and the barns create more open space as well but I'm working on it)

I'm guilty of overusing the Hydro barriers to break up sightlines in past maps but I put those in there to give the impression of a hastily-erected barricade in the face of THE ALIEN MENACE

This screenshot might give you a sliiightly better idea of the scale than the last one, I feel like the angle makes it look worse than it really is.

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Bakscratch

aa Bakscratch Finisher of Maps

Positive Ratings:
    Blu spawn looking nice.
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 9
  11. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    I'd consider breaking up that blinding white with some dirt, solid white is really annoying to play on especially if HDR is enabled. It's totally fine in the shadows but under the sun it's painful.

Other than that I really liked how that spawn room was laid out when I played it, you did a good job making fun geometry to fight in.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. shadowslasher11

aa shadowslasher11

Positive Ratings:
    Image is broken.

EDIT: Nevermind, internet on my end...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    More like

BLU spawn is looking ice.

*Vaudeville hook*

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  14. shadowslasher11

aa shadowslasher11

Positive Ratings:
    Anyone know how to change this to say 2 instead of 3?

[​IMG]

15. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    You can change that by sending a SetRedTeamGoalString input to your tf_gamerules entity from a logic_auto. For instance on my arena_egan map:

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  16. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    Also note that you should never put quotes into any text field in Hammer ever, because it will break your .vmf. (You can fix it with notepad, don't worry)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  17. Grizzly Berry

aa Grizzly Berry

Positive Ratings:
    Who knows. I get inspiration for small areas and then they just sit on my PC.

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  18. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    That point doesn't feel like it's the center of attention. You should throw that thing 'up on a pedastle,' if you catch my drift. Make it the focal point of the area!

19. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    welcome to the multibanner club :)

edit - it was good while it lasted

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  20. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    Building a platform would also give a reason to turn that rock wall into some kind of facade for a building, which would aid in making the area a focal point.

I suspect play testing would mandate that more area around the point get opened up but as it is it's a pretty unique layout and I'd like to see it attempted in a live game before changing it.

That is, assuming one team approaches from the viewpoint of the camera, and the other team comes from around the corner to the left.