Buy Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor for PC at Green Man Gaming

WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Arhurt, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    For good measure, i'll just remind you that if propper fails you, wallworm for 3Ds Max is capable of importing .vmf geometry into the modelling program.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Inqwel

Inqwel L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Some updates so far to effigy_a6:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Disregard the errors for props, they were just signs. I had to update my files for tf2 after taking these screens, as some files were missing from the game.

I really feel some of the areas are too cramped.
    -Inqwel

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. Micnax

aa Micnax Back from the dead (again)

Positive Ratings:
    Any improvements or changes I should do to BLU's base? I feel it looks a little plain with those block wall textures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    You can make all the gorgeous city buildings you want but you're still gonna have problems when it comes to the streets. Basically your only solution for breaking up absurd sniper lanes is to stuff the street with cars and use weird police barriers when you get to the edge of the map.

Or the kong king solution where it's basically a park with a bunch of buildings surrounding it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. puxorb

aa puxorb L69: Emoticon

Positive Ratings:
    I am not going to be using streets as the main layout of the map, but I have ways around it.

Sightline barriers include:

Cars, Buses, Supports for elevated trains, fire escapes with sheetmetal on the bottom, bookstand props from the soho pack, concrete barriers, police barriers, open doors, floating staircases, and signs.

When you work with a city, you aren't restricted to flat landscapes when doing level design. Something I remember most from the videogame: "The Last of Us" (a game I take a lot of inspiration from), was that the city levels never consisted of flat, open, boring areas stuffed with ruined cars and dumpsters just to make it feel less open. In fact, there was a lot of split level buildings, underground areas, sunken streets, shared basements, suspended walkways, etc.

Long before I started blocking out buildings I kept this all in mind, and I have a folder of 200+ reference images of cities such as New York City NY, Albany NY, Buffalo NY, Rochester NY, Boston MA, Chicago IL, and other big industrial cities that were highly populated during the 1960s.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    When I think of big american cities I think of flat monstrosities like new york. Everything is an awful grid, it's all dead flat. It's ugly and boring as hell. American cities reeaaallly suck for that whole stupid grid layout thing. ugh.

European cities however evolved over time and none of them are even close to regular grids. So all the roads flow organically around illogical routes. Most cities I've been to have tended to be quite flat though. Thinking up cities with elevation changes I have to remember my time in Newcastle. You could quite literally be standing at road level with a 5 story building on your left, entirely below you, and a 5 story building on your right entirely above you.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Boston.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Looks stupendously grid based to me, or should I be looking at the elevation rather than the griddiness??

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Pocket

aa Pocket Ya like Jazz?

Positive Ratings:
    concretewall004, 004b, and 004c for starters. I think most official maps (Well, Double Cross) mainly use the darker, more muted 003 set though; I'm not sure where the 004s show up in-game.

That's what inspired me to create 2street, more or less. Although I got kind of stuck knowing where to start looking for specific references. Newcastle, you say? I'll look into that.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    You'll note that most maps don't take place in the areas that their environments are most known for. Desert maps don't take place in the open dunes, alpine maps don't take place on a bare mountain face, and city maps don't take place entirely in the streets. In other words, there's usually something special about the actual gameplay location that's different from your typical "world example" of the environment.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  11. puxorb

aa puxorb L69: Emoticon

Positive Ratings:
    This took me 30 minutes to make. Imagine what I could do with an [actual layout.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is so much opportunity here:
    Sniper windows, staircases, wood planks between buildings, a train terminal, a junkyard, tenements, etc.

This is the setting I had in mind. Not some wealthy commercial district or downtown area that is incredibly flat and boring.

And to keep this from being even less flat, I'd just like to point out that some real-life buildings share an outside basement area that is lower than street level, something that I could easily have lead into a subway, a sewer, etc. And an elevated train bridge could be at the same height as some shacks, allowing for a hazard, but also a high ground with an easy access.

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  12. TheBestUsername

TheBestUsername L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    30 MINUTES?

???

how

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    yeah sorry we should have fucked up our city planning more

• Thanks Thanks x 7
  14. Shanghai

Shanghai L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Say what you will about the grid system but it sure is easy to get from one street to another. It's just eleven up and one over.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Corvatile

aa Corvatile

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 8
  17. shadowslasher11

aa shadowslasher11

Positive Ratings:
    What I've been working on for the past hour or so:

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  18. shadowslasher11

aa shadowslasher11

Positive Ratings:
    I'm wondering if I should change that to JFK, rather than FDR now. What do you guys think?

19. shadowslasher11

aa shadowslasher11

Positive Ratings:
    Modified version to fit a more closer timeline period for TF2:

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Make a historical reference with the newspaper lying around the site having the headline "Aliens Defeat Mercs".

Oh and that's a lovely cityscape but remember that a theme is something you put on a working layout. You can make anything look nice if you don't have to conform to a good layout. Look at junction.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
Buy Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor for PC at Green Man Gaming