WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
For a busy, indoor point, that is probably the right scale. I would err on the side of slightly too large than slightly too small for a Sawmill-esque point. I guess we'll see in a test.

I don't like the walls on the point though. Being inside a building should be cover enough. Again, look to Sawmill. I know you probably don't want to draw many comparisons to it, but I also think the walls will be annoying in their current state.

Deodorant

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2011
For a busy, indoor point, that is probably the right scale. I would err on the side of slightly too large than slightly too small for a Sawmill-esque point. I guess we'll see in a test.

I don't like the walls on the point though. Being inside a building should be cover enough. Again, look to Sawmill. I know you probably don't want to draw many comparisons to it, but I also think the walls will be annoying in their current state.
You sure about the walls? The point being indoors does indeed provide protection from Snipers (there would be a sightline from one entrance to the other without those walls, bit that could be easily fixed by adding a foyer of some sort so it's not that relevant), but isn't cover from medium/short range fire important as well? When I'm near a point and something like a Heavy-Medic combo attacks me, I'm pretty grateful for stuff like the rock on Viaduct, the corners on Harvest, the plank stacks on Sawmill or the containers on Granary to take cover behind. I'm reluctant to remove the walls, for fear that the whole room would turn into a big dull bowl of spam.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
What you posted is a great indication of exactly what I'm talking about. Yes, you need cover, but how is it accomplished on those maps? A rock, a stack of wood, large containers? None of those (except Harvest, which is more similar to Coldfront than the others and thus not applicable) utilize walls on the point itself. The point is a high traffic area that should have the most combat, so you want it free from obstructions if at all possible (in this case anyway). I don't know what you could do because I'm not sure what your theme is, but I would look into other options.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Huzzah.
2012-07-21_00002.jpg

2012-07-21_00003.jpg

2012-07-21_00005.jpg

2012-07-21_00004.jpg

Do not fret, those smokestacks on the blu side *will* be placed in the skybox once I get to it

And, does anyone know of the command to make overlays be seen again in-game? I have highframes config with dx8 running and it automatically disables overlays.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
And, does anyone know of the command to make overlays be seen again in-game? I have highframes config with dx8 running and it automatically disables overlays.

your config is probably turning off r_renderoverlayfragment
set that to 1 to view overlays and sprays.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
increased the overall brightness and ambient brightness, think i'm gonna tone it back down juuuust a bit but hey at least you can see now

fTVVx.jpg

Ymwpw.jpg

tLB4e.jpg

some other lighting bugs to work out, plus detailing spawn and figuring out what the dev texture ground should be

but whoo

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
You should bevel the edges of that stone tower. It could just be me, but the sharp edges don't fit with the rest of your buildings.

Also, rococo is underused, you're cool for using it. More people should use rococo style buildings, it sounds funny

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
trees will look bad until you use final compile settings, yyler.

Deodorant

Oct 31, 2011
increased the overall brightness and ambient brightness, think i'm gonna tone it back down juuuust a bit but hey at least you can see now

fTVVx.jpg

Ymwpw.jpg

tLB4e.jpg

some other lighting bugs to work out, plus detailing spawn and figuring out what the dev texture ground should be

but whoo
Looking neat!

xxfO.png

This is so picturesque my socks just transformed into clogs.

xxeP.png

Is.. Is that a tree in a cage? If that tree doesn't throw hatchets at passersby, I'll be sorely disappointed.

xxgQ.png

As fitting as it looks, I'm not sure using the Mann Manor clocktower is a good idea. It may turn out to be one of those 'Oh hey I recognize this thing' immersion breakers.

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
xxeP.png

Is.. Is that a tree in a cage? If that tree doesn't throw hatchets at passersby, I'll be sorely disappointed.

I'm pretty sure that's just a fence, and the tree isn't enclosed on all sides.

xxgQ.png

As fitting as it looks, I'm not sure using the Mann Manor clocktower is a good idea. It may turn out to be one of those 'Oh hey I recognize this thing' immersion breakers.

I don't agree, it's just a clocktower, and it's not a massive focal point in manor.

Empyre

Feb 8, 2011
Your environment lighting looks perfect as-is. You want to not only be able to see the other players, but also identify their team colors.